Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Looking for k mount extension tubes

Hi,
I am new today 6-1-2013. I am looking for K mount extension tubes but am concerned after reading some reviews of horror stories about sticking and being unable to get apart or dismount from my camera.K5 and enjoying it.
Thanks, WaKo

06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dismount problems are with M42 (screw mount) adapters, not extension tubes.
06-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The cheapest extension tubes don't have an aperture coupling, so if you aren't reverse mounting the lens, you will lose the convenience of open aperture focusing. You lose this also when reverse mounting a lens, but you can work around it easier by just moving the lever with your finger. Trying to focus at f16 is not fun. These tubes also lack any contacts for automated exposure modes.

The next step up has the aperture coupling, but still no A contacts. These are a lot more convenient than the cheapest tubes, they are usually a lot better made too.

The most expensive has the A contacts so you can have full metering and even P-TTL flash control.

I went a cheap way that allows me to have the aperture coupling, I gutted some cheap 2X teleconverters. You can also find these with A contacts, but none of mine happen to have them.
06-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a set for sale in the marketplace recently but I do not see them now. Maybe they sold.

You should be aware that most k-mount tubes will not work with automatic exposure because they do not have the electrical contacts. They work fine in manual with manual lenses but not with lenses that do not have aperture rings. I think there are a few with contacts but they are very rare.

One way to get around this that has been tried is to buy a cheap teleconverter with contacts and remove the glass giving you a single extension tube with contacts.

06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not the best solution, but I purchased a cheap 2times converter and removed the lenses. I think there is a dedicated thread about what to look for ie need a converter which is easy to disassemble.
06-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Not the best solution, but I purchased a cheap 2times converter and removed the lenses. I think there is a dedicated thread about what to look for ie need a converter which is easy to disassemble.
It is a pretty good solution, there isn't really much of a downside to doing it except for the lack of the smaller ones. I have 3 totally different 2x teleconverters, but all of them are 25mm of extension. My "STAR-D" branded one didn't want to come apart, but a screwdriver and hammer solved that. Most of these teleconverters are worthless optically, so there is no need to feel guilty gutting them.
06-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With some patience, you can find relatively cheap 3rd party K-mount tubes on ebay, etc. I got a set of Vivitar ones dirt cheap that are very high quality. The Vivitar ones are particularly libel for picking up very cheaply on Ebay because sellers sometimes don't know (and so can't list) the mount, but the tubes have a code that allows you to know for sure (AT-22 is the Pentax K mount one).
06-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
My "STAR-D" branded one didn't want to come apart, but a screwdriver and hammer solved that.
"If at first you don't succeed, try using a bigger hammer."

Lake Wobegon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia