Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #1

HELP! In need of some advice on lens purchase

Hello there,

I'm a recently joined member of Pentax forums that is from Mississauga, Ontario but am studying in Australia at the moment until the end of June.

I have brought my ME Super, my K10D, my Holga and three lenses: Pentax-M 2.8:1 28mm, Pentax-M 1:2 50mm and Tamron Aspherical 28-200mm 1:3.8-5.6.

So, here are my dilemmas:

I love my Pentax primes, they have been so good to me, my first issue is that I have brought these lenses over to my K10D and now I have lost the 28mm width that I loved so much because of the 1.5x difference.

So I am in the market for another lens to use on my K10D. I have been thinking of going one of two ways:
search high and low for a manual focus (or auto) Pentax lens (prime or not) somewhere in the ball park of 10-20mm
OR
get a digital lens, (Pentax or not) maybe from 20-28mm if it were a prime or anything in the realm of 20-70mm for a zoom.

I've been considering a Sigma 17-70mm, but I don't like the idea of the wandering aperture and really like to have a dedicated 2.8 (or wider) aperture since I use it all the time to blur out backgrounds, etc.

I like the idea of a zoom lens for more versatility while I travel. I'm in Western Australia for 3 months and will be travelling Europe in the summer, so I'm shooting the whole gamut of images from portraits, lots of extreme close ups of interesting foliage and natural elements, to landscapes (which I feel benefit from the wider lenses).

Any advice on good lenses to look out for?

My second dilemma is that I have been using my K10D with my 28mm that has a 0.3m minimum focus distance but I want to get closer, much closer. I have been considering using macro extension tubes or filters, but I really don't know anything about them.

Any advice in regards to their use, success or which ones to buy?

Thanks,

Amy

Last edited by Amy; 03-13-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: just needed to add one more question
03-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Amy:

You might consider a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I just purchased this lens and like it a lot. Depending on your budget, you could also look at the DA 21 limited. What I like about both of these lenses is that they have close focus ability. Enjoy the hunt!
03-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

For wide on the cheap, look for the Zenitar 16mm Fisheye. There are several other choices for getting wide - the DA14, DA10-17 Fisheye, DA12-24, Sigma 10-20. DA21 Ltd. There is the FA20 as well. You could look for a DA16-45 or if you looking to save some cash, the 18-55, or if not, the DA* 16-50

For macro, you could pick up some cheap tubes for your M50/2 - you can get 1:1 @ about 2 inches. Check out my flickr gallery Macro set Macro - a photoset on Flickr most of these were taken with tubes and a 50...

Good luck with your choice!
03-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Amy,

You do actually have a couple more choices in the wider 2.8 zoom category. I don't have either one of these lenses, but both are highly regarded. The choices include the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (they finally came out with one in the Pentax mount) and the Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX macro. The 17 on the Tamron translates to 25.5 with the crop factor and the 18 on the Sigma translates to 27, so you'd have an effective 28mm covered with either one of these choices.

HTH,
Heather