Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like new Pentax-F 1.7x AF adapter with fungus that wonīt show on pictures

I bought this adapter with the idea of using it with the A50/1.4 and K300/4. It looks like it has never been used but some fungus developed through the years. Here are some crops of pictures of the front and rear element. I postprocessed them to accentuate the formations (a bit too much perhaps).
The insteresting thing is I canīt see any effect of the fungus on the test pictures I took at different aperture values with both lenses...

Can anyone suggest a way to maximise the fungus effect when using the adapter with mentioned lenses?

Is it possible to clean this fungus?

PD: apart of this (major/minor?) issue, the adapter looks like new. I attached an uncropped version of the first picture.
PD2: Pictures were taken with M50/4 Macro @ f/11, ISO 80, 6 seg and PP done on lightroom 4

Attached Images

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.
06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it to Eric https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/189356-lenses-...iced-them.html
06-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Can anyone suggest a way to maximise the fungus effect when using the adapter with mentioned lenses? Is it possible to clean this fungus?
That makes me want to cry... Did you mean 'minimize'?

First a light bit of fungus, especially on the edges will quite often not cause anything noticeable in the image. The fungus won't be visible anyway, but if there is enough of it the light will be affected sort of like a flare or ghosting which reduces the image quality. For the amount shown, it might not really have much impact. On the other hand because it is a TC you are already taking a hit with IQ so you don't need any other issues. Try some shots and see if you like the result.

As to cleaning, the short answer is yes. I have cleaned a number of Takumars and two different teleconverters. I've never tried anything that expensive though. I just took a look at mine and it seems to come apart fairly simply. If you have the tools and skill I don't think it would be a hard job. But if you don't I would recommend a professional do the work. That's not a $50 TC you can replace if you mess up..
06-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Send it to Eric Lenses are amazing after Eric serviced them
And I'll +1 that. He did an amazing job on my Pentax A 200 f/4

06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wait just saw that you are in Argentina? You may have to verify shipping rates.
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Oh wait just saw that you are in Argentina? You may have to verify shipping rates.
Yes I am... It is not a possibility by any chance.. I do have the tools / skill / experience to take it apart (as I work with electronics but donīt know how to clean fungus though) but I donīt think it is worth it.. I canīt see anything

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That makes me want to cry... Did you mean 'minimize'?
Haha, sorry but the correct word is "maximize". I want to "quantify" how much will it affect IQ in the worst case...

I had it just for a couple of days now. These are some test shots with K300/4 through my 3rd floor dept. window. It is really fast to focus once the focus ring is in range.
First shot @ f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/125, handheld - panning with SR!
Sencond shot @ f/4 ISO1600 1/500, handheld with SR

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, sorry but the correct word is "maximize". I want to "quantify" how much will it affect IQ in the worst case...
OK, I was not sure. The only way I can think of to maximize the impact is shoot into the sun. Well, not straight into the sun, but sunwards. That should maximize any flare caused by the fungus, although it will also maximize any flare from the lens as well.

From the images posted I don't see any impact. You might check and get a quote to clean it from a local shop, I think Eric might be a bit far away in this case unless you travel to the states occasionally. If it was a cheapo TC I would not bother but that's a genuine heirloom and deserves good treatment.

06-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd say just send it in for cleaning.. For the safety of your other lenses lives!!!

I can imagine the fungus spores infecting all the lenses mounted on it. And worse of all, in your bag...
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I'd say just send it in for cleaning.. For the safety of your other lenses lives!!!

I can imagine the fungus spores infecting all the lenses mounted on it. And worse of all, in your bag...
Wow, I didnīt think that could happen. Would be a real problem.. thanks
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I didnīt think that could happen. Would be a real problem.. thanks
It can't but it is a common internet myth.