Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #31

Pinholecam, great post, and those photos are spectacular quality. It seems like it is the "skill of the chef" rather than the brand of his or her tools that matters more.

06-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Nikon have even better backwards compatibility than pentax fwiw.
A few years ago when I went with Pentax, you could only use AI lenses on most Nikon bodies, unless you wanted to convert pre-AI lenses over. In any case, Pentax is backwards-compatible enough for my needs.
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
A few years ago when I went with Pentax, you could only use AI lenses on most Nikon bodies, unless you wanted to convert pre-AI lenses over. In any case, Pentax is backwards-compatible enough for my needs.
I'm not really sure how something can be "more backwards compatible" than a system that lets you use every SLR lens ever made, and with the 1.7 converter lets you even get an element of auto focus with all your old manual lenses.

OK, I'm game, how can you be more backwards compatible than that? (He must be one of those "cripple mount" guys.)
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not really sure how something can be "more backwards compatible" than a system that lets you use every SLR lens ever made, and with the 1.7 converter lets you even get an element of auto focus with all your old manual lenses.

OK, I'm game, how can you be more backwards compatible than that? (He must be one of those "cripple mount" guys.)
To be even backwards compatible with off brand lenses? Like the many mirrorless system are right now.

06-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking Pentax has limited on lens counts making demand so high the prices stick on them more, I even seen 30mm f/1.4 Sigma cheaper for the Nikon then for the Pentax. They both same lens, just 2 different mounts. Matter fact I found out Nikon has more lenses then Canon. This was a shock to me O_O

Last edited by Pentaxguy22; 06-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.
06-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

@Rupert, see what i mean... I smell a fanboy already.... LOL!
06-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
I was thinking Pentax has limited on lens counts making demand so high the prices stick on them more, I even seen 30mm f/1.4 Sigma cheaper for the Nikon then for the Pentax. They both same lens, just 2 different mounts. Matter fact I found out Nikon has more lenses then Canon. This was a shock to me O_O
What's happening with Pentax lenses right now is completely disturbing. They recently lost the sale of a 15 ltd to me, because i couldn't get one. By the time I'd gone through a two week wait when Pentax Canada couldn't come up with one for a vendor I'd ordered from, I decided to go with the Sigma 8-16 instead. SO if they're trying to increase demand by limiting supply, it's cost them my money, and I'm guessing it will cost them some more before they smarten up. We also recently bought a Sigma 18-250 because the Pentax 18-270 was so much more money and in many ways the Sigma is a better lens.(The Tamron/Pentax) is as usual better in out right sharpness but the Sigma is better at control of distortion and CA, and better edge to edge, as well as being strong in the long end, which is unusual for a super-zoom, and we got it $350 cheaper than the Pentax offering. I love giving Pentax my money to help the cause, but they have to give me a fair opportunity to do so.
06-05-2013, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

For starters Norm , I never said "more backwards compatible"
I said -
QuoteQuote:
Nikon have even better backwards compatibility....
So let me summarise it for you the "better backwards comapatibility" of Nikon vs Pentax.

Nikon F mount came out in 1959 (Pentax k mount came out in 1975 before that it was all screwmount so you need adapters)
In 1977 they added Auto Indexing (AI) an important change in the way the camera gets the aperture value from the lens. Which means its no longer necessary to move the aperture ring back and forth to transfer the lens speed to the camera body. Converting a pre-1977 lens to AI costs around $25 or you can do it yourself.
So every lens made since 1977 works perfectly, complete with color matrix metering !
Pentax I believe is limited to center weighted metering on old glass and you need to use stop down metering if you change the aperture!

And when it comes to manual focusing these older lenses on my Nikon body I can use all 51 glorious focus points (even tells me if my focus is forwards or backwards of subject).

On Pentax? Well your stuck to the center point only and has no telling if your focus is front/back of subject

That basicly sums up why I think Nikon has a better backwards compatible system than Pentax.

Oh and there are more Nikon lenses on the market than Pentax, so that gives you the "more" part

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 06-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have nothing against Nikon just they don't have the ISO flexibility the Pentax K-5 has for the price. I think only full frame Nikon go low as 80 ISO but that cost ya.
Pentax K-5 is to take place being wannabe full frame with image quality and ISO ability.
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
I have nothing against Nikon just they don't have the ISO flexibility the Pentax K-5 has for the price. I think only full frame Nikon go low as 80 ISO but that cost ya.
Pentax K-5 is to take place being wannabe full frame with image quality and ISO ability.
The K-5 was $1500 when it was released - it is still a great camera to be sure, but you can't compare the price of it now (over 2.5 years after release) to a less than 1 year old Nikon D600. And I'd also agree that the K-5 has more unique features that aren't found on Nikon cameras - they need them in order to remain competitive as a value (cost/feature) and smaller overall body/lens system brand.
06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
For starters Norm , I never said "more backwards compatible"
I said -

So let me summarise it for you the "better backwards comapatibility" of Nikon vs Pentax.

Nikon F mount came out in 1959 (Pentax k mount came out in 1975 before that it was all screwmount so you need adapters)
In 1977 they added Auto Indexing (AI) an important change in the way the camera gets the aperture value from the lens. Which means its no longer necessary to move the aperture ring back and forth to transfer the lens speed to the camera body. Converting a pre-1977 lens to AI costs around $25 or you can do it yourself.
So every lens made since 1977 works perfectly, complete with color matrix metering !
Pentax I believe is limited to center weighted metering on old glass and you need to use stop down metering if you change the aperture!

And when it comes to manual focusing these older lenses on my Nikon body I can use all 51 glorious focus points (even tells me if my focus is forwards or backwards of subject).

On Pentax? Well your stuck to the center point only and has no telling if your focus is front/back of subject

That basicly sums up why I think Nikon has a better backwards compatible system than Pentax.

Oh and there are more Nikon lenses on the market than Pentax, so that gives you the "more" part
Ya know, I would've always argued Norm's side of things, but now owning and using a Nikon and learning about just how much is available and being quite surprised at how good their backwards compatibility is (not to mention a significantly larger amount of 3rd party support driving prices of those lenses to much lower prices than in K mount...if they are even available in K mount) leads me to side with you. Nikon does arguably have better backwards compatibility, or at the very least, equal. To drive my point home, good luck finding a late 90s tamron 70-210mm f2.8 AF lens in K mount in excellent condition for a princely sum of $148 - it is waiting on my doorstep as I write! Even if the lens were available in K mount, it would be demanding $350-400 without question.
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If I could give you every dime you had invested in Pentax gear, at what you paid for it, would you take it and switch to something else? This would seem to be the ultimate test of how we really see the situation? Honest answers please.......it's OK to be on the Dark Side for a few minutes!
No, I would not switch. My shooting style depends on bright, vibrant, distinct color, and Pentax glass does a better job of getting me that than Nikon, Canon or Sony. I'm part of a show at a local gallery with other photographers, all of whom are shooting with non-Pentax glass (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, and Tamron). My images stick out rather dramatically from the rest as a result of the more distinctive color. In short, regardless of how they might score on numerical tests, Pentax glass produce images that look good to human perception. Image quality, not scores on numerical tests, were the objective of the limited lenses; and that's the sort of approach I prefer.

The rise in Pentax lens prices is unfortunate, but I don't see any reason to be indignant about it. It's part of a plan to get Pentax products into stores. Perhaps that's a quixotic venture; but it is unreasonable to complain about lack of presence in stores and complain about the means necessary to redress that issue.
06-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have a question, just for those that are heavily or even moderately invested in Pentax. If I could give you every dime you had invested in Pentax gear, at what you paid for it, would you take it and switch to something else? This would seem to be the ultimate test of how we really see the situation? Honest answers please.......it's OK to be on the Dark Side for a few minutes!

Regards!
I'm so sad, that i already sold almost all my Pentax gear before your offer....
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I figured I would see Pentax fan boys....and I can't argue that Pentax has some great features that make it unique. I'm old so it doesn't much matter, but if I was 30 years younger I would have to question the direction of Pentax, and the viability of them to survive in the modern world. We've seen Giants collapse, and for the long haul, I might want to be with a camera company that had a broader base both with customers and in the financial/marketing dept.

However, I could easily switch, the financial aspect is not a concern, but I'm still shooting Pentax. I agree, the colors are great and so are the features like SR ...not to mention those Ltd lenses!
Regards!
06-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax are great in their own way, but they need to do more, they need bring more lens into the market so others will drop in price. Right now Pentax is being like Apple, shortage on supply of things make demand and price higher and for Pentax that's lenses.
I was thinking about going to Nikon but I don't want give up the Pentax K-5 it's the best of the best and at retail price of $1,499 that's now $749 I don't know any camera that could match to it for the same price for ISO and noise levels.
Pentax must have some kind of agreement with Sony.

Last edited by Pentaxguy22; 06-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.