Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Pentax but....

Is it just me or is lenses for Pentax cost more then Nikon?

06-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
06-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

Nikon has some cheap lenses, but they are so-so. The excellent Nikon lenses make some Pentax lenses look cheap. With Pentax and Nikon, you get what you pay for.
06-04-2013, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #4

I've been pricing some Nikon gear in anticipation of moving away from Pentax and getting the Nikon D800E. I was expecting Nikon lenses to be through the roof but was pleasantly surprised. Thing is, it's kind of tough to compare. Try finding a really premium 24-70 f/2.8 in the Pentax line-up (16-50mm cropped...sorry, the DA*16-50 is simply a piece of crap) or try and find a premium super-zoom like the Nikon 24-300. There's several real gems like the Nikon 85 f/1.8G that aren't expensive at all. Besides, there's several really good Sigmas for the Nikon FX format that simply aren't available for Pentax.

I also got to believe the build quality of Nikon is going to be better than Pentax. I've still got my DA* 50-135mm where the focusing motor failed after 18 months..it's been a manual focus lens ever since (4+ years now I think).....and my most recent failure is (was) my jewel-like DA Limited 70mm f/2.4.....the aperture blades are hanging up/closing slowly for some reason. It was my favorite lens but that was the last straw for me. On top of that, my K20D's battery attachment always gives me trouble when I shoot vertical...it loses connection and resets the camera which has burned me numerous times.There's only two bright spots in my Pentax gear....the DA 12-24mm f/4 and my Tamron(!) 17-50mm f/2.8...I hear Tamron makes an awesome 24-70mm f/2.8...but only for Nikon and Canon of course.

I've waited long enough for a full-frame Pentax...times up Pentax, you've got exactly 5 months before you lose a long-time Pentaxian (35+ years) before I go to the dark side. :-|

Terry

Last edited by tlwyse; 06-05-2013 at 06:40 AM.
06-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
I've been pricing some Nikon gear in anticipation of moving away from Pentax and getting the Nikon D800E. I was expecting Nikon lenses to be through the roof but was pleasantly surprised. Thing is, it's kind of tough to compare. Try finding a really premium 24-70 f/2.8 (16-50mm cropped...sorry, the DA*16-50 is simply a piece of crap) in the Pentax line-up or a premium super-zoom like the Nikon 24-300. There's several real gems like the Nikon 85 f/1.8G that aren't expensive at all. Besides, there's several really good Sigmas for the Nikon FX format that simply aren't available for Pentax.

I also got to believe the build quality of Nikon is going to be better than Pentax. I've still got my DA* 50-135mm where the focusing motor failed after 18 months..it's been a manual focus lens ever since (4+ years now I think).....and my most recent failure is (was) my jewel-like DA Limited 70mm f/2.4.....the aperture blades are hanging up/closing slowly for some reason. It was my favorite lens but that was the last straw for me.

I've waited long enough for a full-frame Pentax...times up Pentax, you've got exactly 5 months before you lose a long-time Pentaxian (35+ years) before I go to the dark side. :-|

Terry
Yup, I got my 85mm 1.8g on sale under $400 new from adorama - they pretty regularly have sales on their stuff (just as do Pentax and other brands). Although there aren't necessarily a mountain of directly comparable lenses (aside from typical consumer zooms), Nikon has their fair share of reasonably priced good glass. Of course when you move into the fast 2.8 zooms the asking price does skyrocket! Then again there is significantly better 3rd party support, for instance I got the tokina 16-28 2.8 which is a great performer on FF for under $700.
06-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Next best Pentax lens to compare to the Nikon 85mm 1.8g would be the Pentax FA 85mm 1.4... Yah, lets compare prices of those. LOL! ...And Pentax keeps telling us to "be interesting"!?! I wouldn't mind Pentax becomming interesting again.
06-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm happy with my Pentax gear, and generally the prices...before they jumped up. If they are wanting to compete, they aren't making the grade, and that is a shame. Pentax makes some fine gear, but so do others. It's a tough marketplace out there and Ricoh has not shown me that the understand much about it? The change I had hoped for after the miserable performance of Hoya just hasn't happened.

We can hope, but that's about all we have left.

Regards!

06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
Is it just me or is lenses for Pentax cost more then Nikon?
Many Nikon lenses are now in fact cheaper. So far it doesn't look like Ricoh has gotten anywhere in terms of sales volume.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nikon wasn't far behind in ergonomics, but Pentax is way ahead in the smaller and easier to tote around department. I'm still looking forward to picking up more Limited lenses.
06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm happy with Pentax, because I already have everything I wanted (and could probably start selling some stuff... you know the cheap stuff you get when you're starting out.)

To take advantage of a D800 you pretty much need to spend a lot of money. I'd want to spend 10 K going to Nikon, without primes. But I have noticed things are expensive in the Pentax world.

For example, using a 16 MP camera a Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 which at ƒ4 will give you 3952 lw/ph at 24 mm for $2000.

At $1500 the Nikon AF-s 16-35 @ 21 mm gives you roughly a hundred less.

The Nikon 18-35 @ 21 mm and ƒ 5.6 give you 3600.

So the cheaper lens @ $250 gives you way more resolution on a D800 than you'd get on any APS-c camera, if you want to max it out and go for the best image quality you're going to pay a lot. So in a way if you own a D800 an 18-35 is a great purchase compared to anything you'd get on APS-c. But if you really want to go top IQ, then it's going to cost you a lot more. So far as I know no APS-c camera has exceeded 3000 lw/ph. So it's a mixed bag. If you pay $3000 for a D800, you can increase resolution with cheap lenses. But you can do better with more expensive lenses. Whether or not that 3K entry price is worth the increase in resolution is determined case by case. For some people the increase in resolution won't be worth 5 cents, for others it will be a make it or break it proposition.
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Nikon has some cheap lenses, but they are so-so. The excellent Nikon lenses make some Pentax lenses look cheap. With Pentax and Nikon, you get what you pay for.
I'd contend that Nikon's cheap primes are excellent and an awesome value for their performance.

From B&H's current prices:

Nikon 35mm f/1.8g $196.95
Nikon 50mm f/1.8g $216.95
Nikon 85mm f/1.8g $496.95

Pentax 35mm f/2.4 $216.95
Pentax 50mm f/1.8 $246.95
Pentax 77mm f/1.8 $1,046.95 (no 85mm currently manufactured, so this was the closest lens).

The prices don't seem that much different, but when you factor in that Nikon gives you a 5 year warranty versus 1 year with Pentax, it makes you wonder why Pentax isn't cheaper. And then you really wonder when you consider the Nikons above all have SWM for silent focusing versus the old fashioned screw drive of the Pentax lenses. Even DXO confirmed that these cheapo lenses (save the 35mm because it's crop specific) all performed as well as their costlier cousins when they tested them on a D800 here.

As for zooms, you do get what you pay for, but you don't have to pay full price. You can often get a $300 to $400 instant rebate on the fast zooms (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) when you buy them with a new body during the holidays. And if not that, the used market is plentiful.
06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So far as I know no APS-c camera has exceeded 3000 lw/ph.
The Panasonic-Leica Summilux 25/1.4 does that at f/2.8 on MFT with the 16MP GX1:

Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH - Analysis
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have a question, just for those that are heavily or even moderately invested in Pentax. If I could give you every dime you had invested in Pentax gear, at what you paid for it, would you take it and switch to something else? This would seem to be the ultimate test of how we really see the situation? Honest answers please.......it's OK to be on the Dark Side for a few minutes!

Regards!
06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have a question, just for those that are heavily or even moderately invested in Pentax. If I could give you every dime you had invested in Pentax gear, at what you paid for it, would you take it and switch to something else? This would seem to be the ultimate test of how we really see the situation? Honest answers please.......it's OK to be on the Dark Side for a few minutes!

Regards!
Unfortunately, excepting my 645 gear, yes without a millisecond of hesitation. To Nikon.
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
with the current situation, definitely!