Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Usually I call it a macro slider. Here is an example of a double slider

Velbon Macro Slider

I use it mostly for 1:1, wide open shot of flower. At this magnification, the DOF is extremely thin, you use the slider for precise movement to get the specific part of the flower in focus. It's much more convenient than to move your whole camera+tripod setup back and forth. There are two type of sliders: a double slider (you can move in 4 directions) and a single slider (only back and forth). The double slider is more expensive.

I bought a double slider, but later converted it into a single slider to use as a paranomic head as well. So the left and right movement is not that important.
oooooh ... good to know it can be used as a pano head as well ... now I am very interested in this. A slider head makes things a hell of a lot easier when at 1:1 ... especially getting your focus point perfect.

03-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Here is my series of coin shot: 2.4, 4, 5.6, and 8. The 1st shot has a little different focus point than the rest but it still shows the DOF at the magnification. I did these shots at an angle, but definitely not exact 45 degree.

03-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #33

Wow, the field of view isn't really that different either in this not so exact comparison... Very interesting...
03-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Well that would make sense since we are doing it at 1:1, life size of the coin. Life size means the real size of coin compared to the sensor size. So the image of an object at 1:1 will be the same in the 35mm, 50mm or any focal length for that matter. The difference between focal length really boils down to their minimum magnification (that would govern the field of view) and the working distance to achieve that magnification. So even at 1:10, a 35mm and and 200mm will have the same FOV.