Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Upgrade questions

I got a K-x 3 years ago or so, and it's finally time for us to part ways. I narrowed down my choice of replacement to the K-30 and the K-ii. I'd buy them without whichever one without the kit lens (body only).

My questions have to deal with what I plan on getting, and was wondering if you folks had any suggestions or alternative ideas.

K-30 with Pentax 16-45 and 70mm limited
K-5ii with Pentax 16-45

Is it worth getting the K-30 as opposed to the K-5ii, considering I'd be able to afford an extra lens? Are there any other similar lenses (at similar or less prices, I really can't afford more), that you would recommend? I've been through the lens reviews on the site, but I thought I'd get some more opinions before diving headfirst into a decision like this.

As for what I'll be using the lenses for, the 16-45 would be a walkaround, and the 70mm would be probably more for portraiture and the like. I already have a Tamron 70-300 and an Pentax A 50mm 1.7, and those work pretty well.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

06-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eistean Quote
Is it worth getting the K-30 as opposed to the K-5ii, considering I'd be able to afford an extra lens?
Yes, and I'd recommend doing so. The DA 35mm would be one lens to consider, as it's affordable yet it gets great reviews.

The 16-45mm is discontinued so if you can't find one, take a look at the 17-70mm or Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just upgraded from my K-x that I've been using for the past three years myself. I ended up going a different route altogether and buying a used K-5 off the marketplace on the forums. I was really leaning hard toward the K-30 not only for the warranty and slightly superior speed and autofocus, but ultimately it came down to price. I could get a used K-5, (which has a body that better suits my needs) with an 18-55WR for less than I could get a K-30 body alone.

If you feel that your photography would be limited by a lack of a top screen, button placement, and slightly worse low light autofocus, go for the K-5ii. If you don't, by all means invest in upgrading your repertoire of lenses along with a K-30. Just don't forget that used option exist as well. Have you considered a K-5ii with a few used lenses?

Just one opinion among many.
06-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
I had been considering a used K-5 earlier, but at the moment a K-30 body (in that lovely blue), is only $459 new on amazon, and the used K-5's were about $100 more from ebay or the marketplace here. It's still floating around my mind as an option, but thanks for bringing it up again.

As for the second point, I had been looking at getting all of the lenses used anyway, as new puts them well outside my price range.