Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Filter for Pentax SMC-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Dear Community,
I am new here and since the beginning of this year happy owner of a k-30 and a smc DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 WR.
I read about those legendary limited series in the last days and dared to order a 43mm lens from Japan. I expect it to come in the next week or so (I am in Germany) and I would like to use the time to get the appropriate filter(s) for it. Could you recommend me anything? Are there probably any sets that would cover the most frequent cases - UV/protect; polarizing + grey?

How about my decision, should I expect even better quality from the 43mm Ltd compared to the 18-135WR in this focal length (besides that the 43 mm is faster) ? Is it even sharper?

Thanks in advance!

Tsvetan

P.S.: Adam, thank you for the warm welcome here!

06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have recently bought the FA43 Limited as well, however I have used many prime lenses for the past 3-4 years, so I think I can comment on your questions.

The FA43 will be sharper than the 18-135, however it depends on how you use them. The FA43 is sharp and contrasty wide open, but only in the center. The corners gradually build up and are sharp after F4 or so. The 18-135 will be pretty sharp stopped down too I guess (I've never used it) but it may be at F5.6, F6.7 or something like that. It will also be a much more pleasing experience on the whole: a much lighter and more nimble system, faster AF (although a bit more loud). But the really big thing will be that you can start to play with shallow Depth of Field and also the rendering of the FA43 will be more characteristic.

I would recommend a UV filter for general protection. I've tried both cheap Hoya HMC's (~10 euro) and expensive B&W (~50 euro) and I don't think the B&W are worth it. I find flare control pretty similar, but the Hoya might be a bit more difficult to clean if it gets dirty, that's pretty much it in my opinion. I would recommend that you get the Hoya's from a serious reseller though, as I found out that the new ones seems to have better flare control and less toned. Some of the older ones I got has a slight purple tone (they are still UV, not Skylight). I'm not using ND or Polarizers extensively, but my Hoyas have not disappointed me there either.
06-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
DonThomaso, thank you for the fast reply and for the details! I will have a look at the local store and ask them there as well, but I always trust first the internet community.

I have one prime I use with an adapter M42 to K mount - this is a Helios 58mm f:2.0 - an old soviet lens from my fathers old zenit TTL that still works fine. The lens is great and of course really fast compared to the 18-135WR but I can't really screw it on up to the end. It may be my adapter that does not allow it (kipon), but I think it is more the objective that does have some kind of flange. At the end it stops some 10 to 15 degrees before the mark reaches the right position... also it is only manual focus and I have to really shoot alot to get one of my children sharp on the eyes. So I was pretty soon able to convince myself I need and must have the 43 mm .
06-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also have the Helios 58mm F2 lens, it is a really good lens but as you say manual focus and metering is not for every occasion. The M42-adapter you want is the one with "infinity" focus that you have to mount inside the K-mount, then the flange distance will be correct. If you already have that kind of adapter then there might of course be something wrong with the lens.

M42 42mm to PK K Lens Mount Adapter Adaptor Ring Infinity Focus for Pentax | eBay

06-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Exactly! I have such one, Kipon, and it fits into the k-mount but the lens is not so perfect or maybe it simply doesn't mind for the M42 mount so their production limits allowed for the flange... By the way, I would not recommend this kipon adapter Adapter M42 Objektive an Pentax Kameras | eBay because it has a screw that goes too deep into it and can damage the screw thread of the objective - just the case with my zeiss 135 mm f3.5 ... so be more careful than me!
But the lens Helios 58 is great for portraits indeed!