Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
My poor conscience.....my lucky LBA

I bought a super program and what was a mystery 50mm lens today. The guy told me the lens said smc 1:1.2. Thinking it probably was actually a 1:2 I took a look anyway. Flabbergasted he pulled a A 50 1.2 out of a fannie pack on a broken super program, and I paid the 20$ he was asking for it. The lens doesn't have a front cap but is in beautiful shape. I would rate it at very good to excellent. I feel jubilant, but also a little guilty. Obviously the guy didn't know what he had. I really didn't even have 20$ to put on it in the first place, but I would rather eat top ramen than let that pass me bye. What would you have done? Told him it was valuable or bought it quicker than you could pull the money out of your pocket?

Attached Images

06-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To be honest? Just pay what he requested for...
Don't matter what others here will say..

I, myself, am looking for that lens.. But i've always been a miser at buying vintage lenses.. I refuse to pay current asking prices.. Hehee!

My concept is: 20% depreciation value the moment a buyer has walked out of the shop, and then 10% depreciation value for every year that has passed.
So i'd say you've got it at a fair price.

06-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough call in many ways ... The old saying is "Buyer beware ..." and then on the opposite side, one could argue "Seller be aware ... " It cuts both ways, good luck ... J
06-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #4

Pass the noodles please! Yeah, I would have done the same thing.

06-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Shall I send you some instant noodles?
I don't think you should have any bad feelings. It is so easy to just search for information nowadays. It would have taken the seller a few mins to find info if he/she really wanted.
Just be happy and enjoy the lens!
06-05-2013, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A two second online search would have told the seller what he was selling, and approximately what kind of value it should go for. It's the sellers responsibilty to know what he's selling. Hey, at least now this gem goes to an owner that really appreciates it, and makes good use of it!

Pictures please.
06-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only question I'd have would be: was it his to sell in the first place? What you do after the answer to that is up to you, of course, but you'd have to wonder that someone would have something like this without knowing what it was.

I'm not envious – I've got one of these, and I really like what it can do. I did pay rather more than $20 for it, though.

06-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd have done the same. You are a very lucky man. Cheers!
06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks I feel a little better. I don't think people realize the value of older film equipment both in performance and monetarily, i sure didn't about a year and a half ago before this forum. I will post some pics tomorrow, my friend wants me to have a go at shooting her son.
06-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The only question I'd have would be: was it his to sell in the first place?
Good question and not one i havent thought on myself. I didn't ask a lot of questions but it sounded like it was left in his possession for a long time by an old roomate. It doesnt seem like it has been in use recentpy as the body its on is not working. Maybe im trying to make myself feel better.
06-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The deed is done, make yourself feel better by putting that fine optic to good use and posting some stunning images here, as you now qualify with this beauty.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74819-post-your-1-2-photos-1-2-only.html
06-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wah! A lens going as wide open as f1.2 doesn't oblige the owner to actually go that far. The wide aperture has other advantages too. For example: the 1.2 stopped down to 1.8 will be many times sharper then a 1.8 lens wide open.
06-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
I will take some wide open tomorrow just because but when im taking portraits i tend to shoot at about 2.4 or smaller. I miss a lot around there with my M 1.4 and i think this lens is so much brighter that i will have a higher success rate.
06-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Read on many Canikon boards and you will think that all lenses older than ten years are obsolete and are the same as holding a pair of cheap and dirty reading glasses in front of the camera.
06-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good buy. Put it to good use and don't feel bad, it was worthless where it was.