Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
What would you have done?
I agree that it would have been easy for the seller to determine the value, through a quick online search. So the seller received the price he thought the lens was worth. Both of you were happy with the deal.

However, if you are still feeling pains of guilt, I would be happy to relieve you of the misery and take the lens off your hands - say, $25? Perhaps we should continue the discussion in the Marketplace?

Craig

06-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would have done the same, and did (10$ for a Super program, A50 f1,4, AF280T flash and accessories). I would have leaped and missed a heartbeat or two seeing this lens.
06-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Lucky find!
He obviously didn't buy it originally, so ignorance is bliss.
06-05-2013, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Wow. I have lost a LOT of respect for a few members here. Sad really.

06-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Good buy. Put it to good use and don't feel bad, it was worthless where it was.
Excellent point!
06-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I have had this kind of opportunity a couple times. I've actually told the person something like: "Wow, that's really nice. I can't take it for that because it's worth more. In fact you can probably get $xxx on ebay for it. Too bad I can't afford that right now. I can give you $yyy for it. It's not what it's worth and I'm sorry. If I were you I'd just sell it on ebay."

Both times I got the item for a what I had, which was a very good deal. And everyone wins. I got a deal, and the seller got more than they had hoped for. In both cases the seller didn't want to deal with ebay. But they were impressed that I was honest with them. In fact, one of them come back with more stuff. And now they're informed. They'll look it up and say "Hey I got this. Ebay says it's worth $200. Want it for $100?" If you have LBA it's great to have others looking for deals for you!
06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've also had a few cases like this. I've seen auctions for stuff that either I couldn't fully identify in a picture or had other questions about, and if I get a seller who is responsive I'll happily educate them on what they are selling whether I plan on bidding or not. In this case, a clear question is how the seller came into possession of the item, which might have helped explain his lack of knowledge about it. I've see local ads for gear where the deals sounded too good, and in almost all cases the seller was also in a rush to sell - a combination that put me on high alert.

06-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #23

I haven't been lucky enough to be in this situation yet. Normally whenever I see something listed as 1.2 they really mean 1:2.

So here's another question - all of this has been assuming the seller is a private individual. Does it make a difference if the seller is a business? ie - antique shop, flea market, pawn shop, etc...? Does a business have more responsibility to know what their items are worth?
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excuse me Adorama, you're selling the K-01 for $250. I can't in good conscience buy a product from you that is worth more than your asking price...
Said no one ever.

It’s a sellers main responsibility to be aware of what they're doing and be aware of what they're selling and how much they are willing to take for it.
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
For example: the 1.2 stopped down to 1.8 will be many times sharper then a 1.8 lens wide open.
Would be that this were true...

Steve
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see no problem. A similar thing happened to me over the weekend. I shop at a Canikony camera store for many camera related items. This store is VERY bigoted against anything Pentax. I suppose they take Pentax gear now and then in their used case when folks buy a new Canikony.

I glanced in the used case Saturday and low and behold was a perfect FA 80-200 lens for $25.

Because the world is bigoted against Pentax, we sometimes get awesome deals like this.
It was the same way back in the early 2000's when folks thought Pentax was going under.

Congrats on the score.
06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats!
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Would be that this were true...

Steve
That sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
06-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good that the lens has found an appreciative owner. You will enjoy it.
06-05-2013, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Excuse me Adorama, you're selling the K-01 for $250. I can't in good conscience buy a product from you that is worth more than your asking price...
Said no one ever.

It’s a sellers main responsibility to be aware of what they're doing and be aware of what they're selling and how much they are willing to take for it.
Get real. There is a huge difference between a retailer that is clearing discontinued stock and an individual selling something. I tire of the slippery logic and justifications for such behavior. It's wrong to take advantage of someones ignorance - period. End.