Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens buying conundrum

So, im currently living in China, and about to finish my time here. Before moving on with my life im going to take a stop in India and wanted to get a new lens before I left.

Theres a camera market in shanghai, where I live, that sells lenses, I can also get them offline. Im a little skeptical, but Ive been told that they are pretty reliable. Ive been considering getting either the D FA MACRO 100MM F2.8WR, or the 35mm F2.8 macro. If I were to get them back home, the prices online are about 850 and 650 USD respectively. Here the price to buy one is about 3,600 RMB, which is about 580 dollars. I'm kind of learning towards the 35mm, right now I only own the 18-135mm WR lens, and would like a walk around prime with macro abilities. Ive done lots of research and that seems to be the best one I can possibly get. However, I also really wanted the 100mm. I was wondering, is it worth getting the 100mm just because it would be so much cheaper to get it here than in the united states? or should I stick with what I think would be better for me right now, and ultimately what I want more?

any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help, I know this isn't really a major problem.

06-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, for a walk-about "normal" lens with macro capabilities, the 35/2.8 is really not just the best, but the *only* way to go, I'd say. It's a wonderful lens, and while the operating distance for macro means that your subject will be *very* close to the front element of the lens, it's getting great results.

I do not know the 100mm WR that you are talking about also, at least not first hand, so I cannot comment on that as such - other than observe that 100mm is a rather long lens as a "walk-about normal", and so if that is what you're looking for, it may not be this lens making you happy.

Of course, the right answer would be "get both". They do not overlap in any meaningful way, and a lens around 100mm is really something that should be in every photographers arsenal for when needing a moderate tele.
06-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the quick advice, Id love to get them both, but unfortunately, I just dont have the money at the moment
06-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpritchardv Quote
thanks for the quick advice, Id love to get them both, but unfortunately, I just dont have the money at the moment
Hi! I've purchased some new and used lenses in Huanlong Camera Market (in front of Shanghai Railway Station) and also in the 2 big camera markets just northwest of LuBanLu and XieTuLu intersection. Bring your camera and try the lenses if you want to.

06-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the one you want the most, not the one others want.
06-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
im not familiar with the other markets, the one I have been going too was the LuBan lu one. Ill check out the others you mentioned Have you ever had any issues with the lenses youve bought?
06-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpritchardv Quote
im not familiar with the other markets, the one I have been going too was the LuBan lu one. Ill check out the others you mentioned Have you ever had any issues with the lenses youve bought?
No, not any issues. Happy shopping! :-)