Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone heard of this Tele-Lentar lens?

I am thinking of bidding on this auction just to get the lens.

Auction Link

The lens is made by Tele-Lentar and has a focal length of 400mm. Is this a K-mount lens? I found an old thread for a Tele-Lentar lens of a different focal length and it was a T-mount. That would require an adapter.

Is this lens any good? Go/No-Go?

-=- Boris

06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Boris,
Welcome to the forum. I had Tele-Lentar 135/2.8 preset lens in T-mount that came with adapter. It was decent lens but not as good as other 135 I have. Interesting that it was a preset lens with 16 blades aperture. Can not comment on this 400 mm lens but it is also a preset lens for sure. It also looks like it has an adapter already - so basically it is M42 screw mount lens. This lens look like this soligor lens:
Soligor 400mm F6.3 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
More information you can find in here:
Lentar 400mm f6.3 m42 mount - info/experiences/maker?

Also, the camera comes with M42 to K mount adapter. So, you will be able to use these two lenses with any modern pentax K mount DSLR in M mode. For this price it looks like a good deal since M42-k adapter itself when new cost around 30-40 USD and they are hard to find. Plus - takumar lens looks quite nice:
Auto-Takumar 55mm F2.2 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Hope this was helpful.
Best regards,
Yuriy
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yuriy,

Thank you for the reply! Your information is very useful.

-=- Boris
06-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the lens cap I think it's a M42 screw mount. I Have a Lentar 135mm M42, love it. Excellent lens. Also bought a 300mm M42 a while back and returned it due to fungus that had etched a pattern onto the rear lens, externally it looked just like this one and still got good pictures, but I could tell it was getting a little image degradation due to the etching. So I sent it back. I was very disappointed, without the etching I could tell it would have been a very good lens.

I would say this should be a good lens, if my experience with Lentar is any indication, I also have a Lentar 90-230 that has been a very good one, although I've switched to all primes and don't use it any more.

One thing I do like very much, all my Lentar lenses have had 16 aperture blades, instead of the usual 6 or 8 you get with most other brands. I can't see much difference, but I get very good results with the 135mm and extension tubes for macro shots, and by itself it gets excellent pictures. I had to disable the aperture lever inside, typical of M42 lenses, and that was not hard to do with any of mine, and I've been very pleased with them.

Here's an example or three

135mm Lentar M42

135mm Lentar M42 and extension tubes

I'm not positive, but I think this shot was taken with the same extension tube macro rig and the 135. At the time it was taken I didn't have extension tubes for the 50mm, most of my macros were done with the 135.

06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, those are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I asked the seller about the mount type and he said that both lenses in the auction "screw on". No adapter. If there wasn't a K1000 in the auction I would have assumed it was a real screw-mount lens but I think the Tele could have a K-mount!

I placed the opening bid on the auction just for the lens. Let's see if I win it. Even if I do I think 400mm will be hard for me to swallow though!

-=- Boris
06-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #6

RE: Tele-Lentar 400mm

I just started shooting with this lens, however, it seems to be out of collimation.
06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by azvolpe Quote
I just started shooting with this lens, however, it seems to be out of collimation.
I'm not sure about that lens, but I have a pair of cheap Quantaray 400/500s that someone at some point in the past before me actually took (or at east looks like they took) Elmer's glue to it to set the lens where it screws together. The lens was truly awful before I discovered this, scraped the glue away, and rescrewed the lens back into place.

Now the lens is just ordinary awful and not truly so.

It did help with killing the horrible fringing the lens had, it made the thing actually workable now in post if I want to use it.

I'd give the lens a once over and just make sure nobody mucked with it in the past, you'd be surprised what you find people have done sometimes.
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I imagine my Tele-Lentar lens will be arriving soon. Hopefully it doesn't have something as awful as Elmer's glue in it!

-=- Boris