Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
possible (but probably not) quandry - lens advice

I've dusted off my old but virtually brand new k200d with less than 800clicks on it in anticipation of 1 month in Ireland followed by 2 more in Sweden next month. As a very casual shooter I know it's capable enough but can't help look at the newer models like K30, etc. with all the new tech advances.. All I currently have is an 18-135 as my only lens, if I were to add another lens what should it be within reasonable budgeting ? I love landscapes and architecture mostly....

06-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

For a two lens kit starting with an 18-135mm:
Add either a fast prime like 35mm f/2.4 or 50mm f/1.8 if you like primes and want the ability to shoot in lower light. OR,
add a Pentax 12-24 or a Sigma 10-20 to give yourself more range on the wide end. OR,
add a Pentax DAL 55-300 to give yourself more range on the long end.

We can recommend lenses all day, until you need to get two backpacks just to carry them. The important thing is to think about what you want to shoot, what situations you might find yourself in and then figure what lenses would work best for that.

If you are going to be traveling a lot, especially walking then light and simple is the key. The 18-135 is a great start.
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Welcome!

For a two lens kit starting with an 18-135mm:
Add either a fast prime like 35mm f/2.4 or 50mm f/1.8 if you like primes and want the ability to shoot in lower light. OR,
add a Pentax 12-24 or a Sigma 10-20 to give yourself more range on the wide end. OR,
add a Pentax DAL 55-300 to give yourself more range on the long end.

We can recommend lenses all day, until you need to get two backpacks just to carry them. The important thing is to think about what you want to shoot, what situations you might find yourself in and then figure what lenses would work best for that.

If you are going to be traveling a lot, especially walking then light and simple is the key. The 18-135 is a great start.
thankyou for the advice, I had forgotten to mention my preferences are in landscape and old architectural areas. Am sure that new glass is the way to go other than a new body since the k200d is still quite solid and I'm not a pro or serious amateur by any stretch....
06-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you like wide things a used Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 can be had to a decent price. It's a really good lens and I even saw a winner of a National Geographic award shot with that lens. My brother got one and you won't need another wide lens. Add a tripod and you're set for wide landscapes and architecture for years to come.

06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
If you like wide things a used Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 can be had to a decent price. It's a really good lens and I even saw a winner of a National Geographic award shot with that lens. My brother got one and you won't need another wide lens. Add a tripod and you're set for wide landscapes and architecture for years to come.
thankyou for the advice I feel for this trip with all the landscapes and castles, etc I'll probly go hog wild snapping shot heh
06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
I feel for this trip with all the landscapes and castles, etc I'll probly go hog wild snapping shot heh
A great way to learn is doing
06-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
A great way to learn is doing
I'd consider one of the small primes. I've discovered that walking around with my 40mm Limited is so much more comfortable, the camera's lighter and it doesn't stand out as much. Plus, the IQ just can't be beat :-)

06-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Then maybe save for the 15mm limited?
06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A fistful of batteries, a new SDHC and the desire to fire.
06-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then maybe save for the 15mm limited?
I really wouldn't even have to save for it, the way my trip is going the 2 months in sweden is rent free since I'm staying with a friend def frees up some money there heh
06-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I really wouldn't even have to save for it, the way my trip is going the 2 months in sweden is rent free since I'm staying with a friend def frees up some money there heh
Välkommen till Sverige!
You can leave the lens in my mailbox before leaving Sweden if you grow tired of it, I won't.
06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Välkommen till Sverige!
You can leave the lens in my mailbox before leaving Sweden if you grow tired of it, I won't.
hahaha, yep I'll be in Gothenburg as a home base, with trips radiating out from there
06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hahaha, yep I'll be in Gothenburg as a home base, with trips radiating out from there
btw, my best friend seems ambivalent as to which I should call it, Gothenburg or Goteborg which is preferred if any?
06-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Sigma 8-16 is a very nice lens if you can afford it (costs about the same as the K-30 you were considering). Just set it to MF at infinity and around f/6.3, and you get very good sharpness. You can concentrate on composition, which is a significant matter with a wide angle.

This lens is significantly better than all the other AF wide-angle zooms available for Pentax, each of which falls just short of "good enough" IMO. The DA10-17 is very good too (but I'm not sure you want a fisheye). The only other one I'd strongly recommend is the DA15 - no zoom, but small size and outstanding IQ.

Alternatively, an A or M 100/2.8 will probably change your outlook on photography (in a positive way) for a very reasonable price. Lenses like the A50/1.7, DA35/2.4, and A24/2.8 are also very worthwhile affordable lenses.
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

btw, my best friend seems ambivalent as to which I should call it, Gothenburg or Goteborg which is preferred if any?
Same same, Swedes are generally very good at English and use it everyday so we're used to both. Some time ago I saw a funny sketch about how we Swedes always Americanize/Anglicize our names when introducing ourselves in a foreign language, then laugh or complain about that "nobody can pronounce Swedish names correctly". Quite weird, eh?

You'll do just fine and the Gothenburg (see what I did there) area is often crowned in surveys as one of the happiest areas in Sweden. I like it way better than Stockholm, even though I live outside Västerås (check a map if you're interested in finding it). There are two minor issues though. Firstly Göteborg is called "Slaskeborg" ("Sleet Castle") for a reason. The city is always top five in rainiest places in Sweden and the winters aren't white, they are a dirty shade of grey. Bring a raincoat! The second thing is that the criminal gangs seems to have some kind of war going on the last couple of years but don't fear, it's very safe as long as you don't join one. I guess you won't.

There are some beautiful scenery by the docks and harbor there that you need to check out and a wide angle with a light tripod would be nice. Also it's the center for much of the Swedish music scene and is heralded to have the most enthusiastic music crowd in the country, to go and see some bands and artists, your friend can help you out. Swedish indie music is a specialty there and there are both small ad big bands, also a huge part of the metal scene comes from Gothenburg.

Just enjoy your stay and don't be afraid to ask people things in English, even the alcoholics old men that hangs around the central station are friendly there! Note that Swedes generally aren't as military or patriotic as most other countries so I don't recommend running around in uniforms singing national anthems with huge flags swaying. Not that anything would happen more than people sighing "oh those Americans thinks they are the center of the world". I can be a fun experiment though!