Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think i want to cry. Tamron 300mm f2.8 woes.

So I pull my Tamron 300mm f2. 60B series lens out to give it a quick once over before heading on a trip out west. I have had this lens for 22 years, but haven't used it in quite awhile. I shine a flashlight (torch for my GB friends) through it and found a lot of fungus associated with the front element. I am not sure if it is on the rear surface of the element or in the glue that holds he two front lenses together. I know that the fungus can also effect the coatings too. Not a happy camper at the moment.

I am still taking the lens with me and hoping that image quality won't be too greatly affected and I am going to have to be more careful about flare. Can anybody recommend to me a good place to send this lens to see if it is worth repairing? I called Tamron but the don't work on lenses over 5 years old.

I can't do it now as I am leaving on Friday for two weeks holiday, but I intend to make a decision as to what to do after I get back. Replacing it with a Sigma 300mm f2.8 would be about $3,700 with tax and shipping. I am tempted to get an optical spanner wrench and have a go at it myself. Haven't used my optics training in decades.

Anybody out there with $3,700 laying around that they have no use for? Think of the joy you will have knowing that I would, once again, be a happy camper.

06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in the process of buying the Tamron 300 f2.8 360B (the later version of your lens). It's a beast for sure but it's very sharp and I can see why you are considering crying. A while back Eric (Home) removed a whole mess of fungus from my Pentax 645 300mm lens. He did a great job (at a ridiculously low cost) although I got the feeling that he never wants to do that again. You might see if he wants to tackle your problem. You never know.
06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's a cheat to try. Get to an autozone, and get a UV AC leak test kit. You're mainly going for the UV flashlight. Try (make sure to wear the glasses) keeping that shining through it for a bit and see if it kills it.
06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

While I'm sure you'll get recommendations on this thread, I suggest looking locally first. When I had a similar issue, I made a call to a local shop that sells used cameras and found out who they use for lens repairs-- now I have someone that I can talk to in-person and who I know I can call up if the need arises. I've used him to clean fungus and aperture blades on a Super Tak and he completely rebuilt my badly misadjusted CJZ 2.8/200mm.

IMHO, you just can't beat having 'a guy' you can go to with repair issues, who will sit down with you and discuss the problems and explain the repair process. (that goes for more than just cameras, too)

Good luck!

06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevePrime Quote
IMHO, you just can't beat having 'a guy' you can go to with repair issues, who will sit down with you and discuss the problems and explain the repair process. (that goes for more than just cameras, too)
Absolutely. In this day and age of internet and email transactions, face-to-face is worth a premium.

Good luck with the lens repair!
06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Try here

Welcome to Focal Point - Lens Repair and Lens Cleaning

I sent my Rollei TLR to them to remove Fungus. Lens had to be polished and then recoated. 10 years ago the price tag was $300.
They did an Outstanding Job!! The lens shoots as sharp as ever.
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I called tamron and got the name of a place in NYC that did the service on older lenses and they did a great job cleaning and adjusting my old adaptall 80-200mm f2.8. It had a little fungus starting too. I can't remember their name, but got it from the tamron service guy. It was about $165.00 I think including repair of the helicoil. If I find the old repair receipt, I'll post it up.

Found it: Metro Camera repair 212-736 4663 the address was 920 broadway,suite 705, NY NY 10010
the charge was $140 + $15 shipping to overhaul zoom housing and helicoids set and clean inner lenses. adjust flange back and image. (2008 prices)

Last edited by borno; 06-06-2013 at 03:46 PM.
06-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I just had my M 40~80 cleaned (it had come down with a bad case of fungus) for $80. I figured that it would cost as much to buy another from eBay, etc. so the cost was not that big of a deal. I've had the lens since 1979, and it has always performed well, so it wasn't too hard to decide to spend the money to get it cleaned.
06-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I am currently at the start of a 5,000 mile trip to Las Vegas, Idaho, Yellowstone and whatever else we can fit in. I will look into getting it cleaned after I return. I do have the lens with me and intend to use it a bit. Especially in Yellowstone.