Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first Pentax was an SP 1000, the M42 mount camera that preceded the K1000. It was very affordable at the time and had the finest lens line up in the business, the legendary Takumars. In the early 70's, Pentax cameras and lenses were sitting at the top of the world. When I finally made the jump to digital, I looked at the other offerings. Nobody could match the lens compatibility that Pentax offers and the K10D, my first digital, was much better priced than the other guys. As long as Pentax stays in business, I will continue to be a customer. I have owned other brands in the past and probably will in the future but I will always have a Pentax around.

06-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
My first Pentax was *ist DS. It wasn't a particularly informed choice. It was second hand in a camera shop, and seemed a good price (and I knew nothing about cameras at the time). Each time I have bought a new camera though I have had a look at Nikon and Canon to see if I might want to change. I guess this is more the story of why I stayed with Pentax: the small size (40mm and 70mm primes, with in camera staibilisation) and weather resistance (K30 and 18-135).
Oh, and also build quality. When ever I tried other cameras in the shop, either they were too big and heavy, or the smaller, entry level cameras didn't seem to feel as good as the Pentax cameras.
06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
For anyone that wonder why I went with Pentax when there was other choices.
It all started with the cheapest DSLR I could find and turns out Pentax K110D was the camera for me and was $300 over 5 years ago the camera had what others did not at the time Canon, Nikon and Sony still used CF cards and they was x2 more expensive than SD cards, another reason was because the Pentax K110D and Nikon used Sony image sensors, so it was the best of both worlds plus no extra money to spend for old lenses that would not work, Pentax been using the same lens mount for 40+ years, So this was a win win for me.

(I just realized this in the lens discussion)
I thought cf card was faster and cheaper than sd card

I bought my k200d was AA batteries, weather seal and cheaper than competitor

Last edited by pentax user; 06-12-2013 at 05:18 AM.
06-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I got into Pentax via the K-x which was the best option for entry-level dSLRs at the time. The 2 lens 18-55 + 55-300 kit was an outstanding bargain and the 55-300 was so highly rated that it seemed a no brainer. That camera was wonderful and got me hooked. Add to it the K-mount lens supply and that they were VERY cheap back then and it was a great decision at the time. The K-x is still going strong but is in someone else's hands now who uses it and I'm glad its still producing great images for them.

Very same story for me!!!

06-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #20

I started with a Pentax MX (new in Hong Kong for AU$110.00 with a 1.4 lens at that time). When digital started I had P&S cameras from Olympus and Canon but always wanted to get back to Pentax. Bought a K20D in 2009 and then a K-5 last year. More recently I could not resist the amazing deals on the K-01 so bought a body to try video and use the various lenses that I've collected over the years. Have a few M42s that I use with K mount bayonet adapters too.
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
I thought cf card was faster and cheaper than sd card

I bought my k200d was AA batteries, weather seal and cheaper than competition
CF card Price example
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Compact Flash CF Memory Card 60MB s P N SDCFX 016G 619659057886 | eBay

SD card Price example.
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Class 10 SDHC SD UHS I U1 300x 45MB s Flash Memory Card 16g 619659080341 | eBay

SD cards even cheaper at faster speeds too, so for about the price of 16GB CF card you can get faster SD.
SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SDHC SD HC UHS I Flash Memory Card Sdsdxpa 016G A75 619659070922 | eBay

Cool huh?
Yet some argue they last longer then SD cards and more durable.
06-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Bonjour,

I learned in high school with a K1000 and my step-mom had a K-2 (I think). Later I shot with Minolta and gave the family's Pentax gear to my sister, who managed to lose it all. Wife bought my a K110D for Christmas since I was looking at either a Pentax or a Nikon. Now have a K-5, after upgrading from K-7, and my wife took the K-r for her "backyard birding" ... J
06-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

One of the reasons I went with Pentax instead of Nikon was that the Pentax K100D I was considering had more AF points than the Nikon competitor (D40). Eleven points vs three. Imagine that!

As a further minus, the D40 had no built in motor so could only AF with the most modern lenses. Compare this to the in-body shake reduction of the K100D and the decision became almost a no-brainer.

I had no idea about "buying into a system" back then, but who does as a beginner?
I thought I probably won't need more than one or two lenses...

I believe it would be advantageous for Pentax to continue offering great value for money entry models.

06-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One of the reasons I went with Pentax instead of Nikon was that the Pentax K100D I was considering had more AF points than the Nikon competitor (D40). Eleven points vs three. Imagine that!

As a further minus, the D40 had no built in motor so could only AF with the most modern lenses. Compare this to the in-body shake reduction of the K100D and the decision became almost a no-brainer.

I had no idea about "buying into a system" back then, but who does as a beginner?

I believe it would be advantageous for Pentax to continue offering great value for money entry models.
I can't remember when, but I was deciding to upgrade from M42 Yashicas and Cosinas, so I went into Whitbys of Chichester (Sussex,England) to look for a new slr. They had the Yashica 109 and the Pentax P30T, both with 28-80 lenses. The Yashica had a higher spec but the Pentax just felt better to handle straight away. I have never been tempted to change my system from K mount especially as A mount lenses are so easy to use on modern bodies. I only use older lenses on my ME Super.
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

No doubt the K100d was a better camera - the D50 was a better camera than the D40 was though too! As soon as Nikon decided that a screw-drive motor was a high end feature I think they made a pretty big mistake - it is in a way preying on uneducated new buyers, either forcing them to upgrade later or pay the newest lenses only tax. Pentax definitely set themselves apart on price back then as well. Now price is more in line at the entry level, but you get more in the way of features at a given level from Pentax for the most part.
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #26

Cross-posted from the Introductions section with re-editing…

Like many others… I am new to both Pentax and the DSLR world. My move was prompted by several factors:
- Closing of yet another professional MF film processing lab that I had been using.
- A student budget interrupting me from enjoying photography as frequently as I would prefer (film $).
- A suggestion from my fiancée who was wise enough to recognize reality when I didn’t.

So the acquisition of a DSLR should enable me to increase the frequency of my enjoyment and a return back to hobby like usage- something that I’ve felt I could not afford for quite sometime. Since I was not previously invested in any particular AF lens or DSLR system I took a serious and educated look at all of the APS-C and Micro 4/3rds options: I acknowledged Nikon to be the most recognized and specified ‘professional” choice, and so I set the D7000 as my default (2011). My brother has been a Canon fan so I was also very aware of their reputation and capability. I had used Olympus in my 35mm days (pre 1987), but unfortunately no DSLR offers the simple yet elegant power of the OM-4’s ‘multi-point averaged spot metering’.

My close scrutiny regarding the specifications for the D7000 also led to me to take note of the K-5. I searched through as much information as I could find which at the time was very little. However I began to recognize that the K-5 offered the following key strengths:
1- Excellent dynamic range and IQ performance resulting from the custom chip tuning applied by Pentax.
2- Consistent reports of ease and pleasure in use due to a photographer oriented layout and form factor.
3- Evidence suggesting more consistent accuracy in AF performance than the ‘faster’ competition.
4- Greater confidence in the quality of its weather sealing.

By this point of time the logical side of my brain knew that the Nikon with its CLS flash system represented the wisest ‘safe’ choice for commercial intent. But the artistic side of my mind was beginning to favor the aesthetics of the K-5. This general trend started to unfold in my observation of some other characteristics as well *. Since I knew that I could be perfectly happy with either camera body choice (or even Canon for that matter), I decided I should research and make my decision based on which specific lenses interested me.

Consequently, I scrolled through hundreds to thousands of web images taken with various lens models from each of the manufacturers. I gave close attention to which lenses most consistently produced images that caught my eye. And in particular- the lenses that stood out as having something unique or special in the way they rendered an image. Naturally there are thousands of excellent images produced by all camera brands and many different lenses. However, there are subtle trends by manufacturer or model that can be observed when a person looks across a vast quantity of images. Most importantly, there are distinct lenses that are capable to more frequently render an image with subtle yet visible qualities that make it stand out from the norm of otherwise excellent images. It was through this activity that I observed some specific lenses for Pentax arose more consistently than those for any other manufacturer.

In the end- I based my final decision on:
1- The system that most consistently produced images that appealed to my eyes.
2- Pentax offers the best selection of lens having a unique or special image rendering quality that I lust to acquire someday.

* I still consider Nikon or Canon to be the more professional ‘technical’ choice for three primary reasons:
1- Primarily because of their flash system performance.
2- Center AF sensors small enough to more consistently isolate the eyes for accurate portraiture focus.
3- Safer out-of-camera skin tone performance. Although this comes at the expense of the typical overexposed and featureless porcelain look (but it does avoid a frequent requirement for post processing to reduce excessive red response).

However, I am very satisfied with my choice that was based on ‘aesthetic performance’ and also ‘enjoyment of use’. And I hope that Pentax will continue to excel and lead the market in regards to these unique key characteristics, as well as to continue developing the professional capability of their cameras and lenses.

Kevin
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My story:

Nikon argued over a warranty claim for a unit that was only 1 day out of the store, never worked properly, travelled all of 3 blocks from store to my house, and even the dealer said was faulty.

AA batteries (K200D).

Tougher and more ergonomic design.

The colour green.

The green button.

This forum.

My own personal quirkiness when it comes to brand loyalty.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 06-25-2013 at 05:06 AM.
06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Jon

Bought an MX at an antique store a couple years ago. Turns out my old man shot a k1000 and gifted me a lot of his old Pentax gear/lenses. Found a brown k1000. Eventually got tired of my canon dSLR and my m4/3 systems (except the e-p2 which will always be beautiful with adapted minolta glass). Discovered image stabilization in a body that takes k mount lenses.... Proud k30 owner.

Also when I showed it to my brother he said, " Pentax? They still make cameras? "
Hearing that made me oddly proud.