Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is it reasonable to sescribe this lens as in "good condition"?
Yes 763.64%
No 436.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Advice about mark on lens

Hi,

I have just bought a used lens on ebay, and have noticed a couple of marks on the glass at the back of the lens. One very small mark, and one slightly larger mark.

The lens was listed as in god condition - though I stress "good condition". It didn't say perfect, or say anything to suggest there would be no marks at all etc. But, it did say "used, but in good condition".

I am not looking to be a **** or to make a fuss about nothing, and the lens looks good otherwise (to my untrained eye). So if this is nothing to worry about, that is fine. However, if this is a problem that is likely to be an issue and which would mean that it shouldn't be described as "good condition", then I guess I don't want to be a sucker either.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've made many purchases on ebay and by and large never been skunked. I was trying to find a definition of 'good' on ebay and haven't located it. In my mind good (as opposed to fair) condition would be appropriate if everything else on this lens was in good shape. Personally, if I was listing that lens on this site, I'd be sure to point out the marks on the lens with some indication whether or not they affect the image quality. Don't know what you paid for this, don't know if you've been able to determine if those marks are a problem or not. You should try to determine that. If those marks are fungus, you may want to return it. If not and they have not effect on the image quality, the only thing I'd be concerned about is that someday in the future when you want to sell the lens. Will you be able to get your investment money back?

Personally, again, I've found that descriptions of photo equipment on ebay tend to be far less rigorous than PF's marketplace. I once bought a used lens from Adorama which had LOTs of fungus, it was listed in not great condition but there was no mention of fungus. I kept it, got the fungus cleaned, and it's a great lens. YMMV
06-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've made many purchases on ebay and by and large never been skunked. I was trying to find a definition of 'good' on ebay and haven't located it. In my mind good (as opposed to fair) condition would be appropriate if everything else on this lens was in good shape. Personally, if I was listing that lens on this site, I'd be sure to point out the marks on the lens with some indication whether or not they affect the image quality. Don't know what you paid for this, don't know if you've been able to determine if those marks are a problem or not. You should try to determine that. If those marks are fungus, you may want to return it. If not and they have not effect on the image quality, the only thing I'd be concerned about is that someday in the future when you want to sell the lens. Will you be able to get your investment money back?

Personally, again, I've found that descriptions of photo equipment on ebay tend to be far less rigorous than PF's marketplace. I once bought a used lens from Adorama which had LOTs of fungus, it was listed in not great condition but there was no mention of fungus. I kept it, got the fungus cleaned, and it's a great lens. YMMV
+1 - if everything else is working and in good shape then yes, it's in "good" shape. Sorry. How are the photos?
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Dust getting inside your lens is absolutely natural, there is really no way to avoid it, no matter how careful you are.

Your best bet would be to take some test shots at small aperture. If you notice any kind of artifacts or the contrast is low, return it.

But, I give you like 99.99% that these small spots are going to have absolutely no effect to your pictures.

Also, what kind of lens is that?

Telephoto lens seem not to like dust/scratches on the rear element a little more than wide angles (and opposite).

Also, I'd say that the seller wasn't completely honest with you by not telling about the marks (except if you didn't ask and he didn't know).

06-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Unless it affects the image, which I doubt these will, I would consider from what we can see of the rest it's all "good" to go.
06-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I was selling that lens I would likely have pointed out the marks but a seller not familiar with lenses might not have even noticed.

As to 'good', what is the condition of the rest of the lens? What grading scale are you using? (like new, mint, near-mint, excellent, good, fair, poor) or (good, fair, poor).

As others have noted, I would not worry about it unless you feel it compromises the image quality. Assuming you paid a reasonable price for it. If you paid a premium over the going used price then maybe you have a complaint but assuming the rest of the lens is fine I would have graded it as good and noted the marks.

Actually when I sell a lens I grade it for cosmetics and for optics. So a lens with perfect optics but body marks would be graded as "optics: excellent, cosmetics:good/fair". Some buyers don't care what it looks like as long as it takes good images, collectors are more concerned with the appearance than they are about using it.
06-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Pictures

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

The lens is a fairly cheap Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DL lens, and I didn't pay over the odds for it (£55).

How would I tell whether it was fungus or not. I guess if it was fungus, I would probably be inclined to return it. (Not worth cleaning a lens at this price.)

I only just got it, so haven't really taken many photos. A couple seem to lack contrast, but I suspect that may just be because it was very sunny and I didn't have a lens hood.

Here are a couple of the pictures I took. As I say, one of the cricket ones does seem to lack contrast to me, but as I say, I wondered if that was just because of the lack of a lens hood. (It was very sunny.)

Incidentally, no need to apologise for saying if you think the description "good condition" is reasonable.

06-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
now with pictures

Sorry.

Didn't seem to include the pictures:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Other than the contrast, you cannot tell anything from those images. Shoot a blank wall with constant color, or a clear blue sky. Something that might show up any impact those marks have. Personally I doubt you will be able to see anything.

And those marks are definitely not fungus. Fungus looks like, well, fungus with threads and blobs and bits. Those marks might be a flaw in the coating, might be a bit of oil, might be a lot of things. Have you tried to clean them off?
06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A mark or scratch on the front element is often not a reason for concern (go figure), but the rear element is another matter. "Good" condition is usually taken to mean that cosmetics Ok, the mechanicals are fully functional, and the optics are without issue. It is hard to see from your photos what the nature of the mark is. It may be, as suggested above, a small bit of oily residue that may be easily removed. One fairly important thing that I did not see when scanning the thread is the matter of price. If the price was low (say less than $35 USD), there is little sense pursuing anything with the seller.

Steve