Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OS on Sigma's long telephoto lenses (150-500mm)

Hi everybody,
I was looking to upgrade my Sigma 120-400mm, looking at the Sigma 150-500mm on the Sigma web site:
150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

they write that the OS is not available on Pentax mounts...
my 120-400mm has OS and I love it very much... I think it' s much better than the on-body Shake reduction of pentax bodies (I have K20D + a K5). When I press half-way on the shutter, I can see the image stabilizing quite a lot!

So I am wondering if it's really the case that the OS is not available on the 150-500mm
btw, they do say the same thing on the 120-400 on their web site...

do they removed it recently?

This is a bit confusing for me...
thanks for your insights !

Sylvain

06-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I just bought a new Sigma 150-500 April, 2013. It has a Pentax mount and an OS 1 and OS 2 switch on the side of the lens. Part of the labeling of my Sigma says Optical Stabilizer right on the lens.

The Sigma 150-500 manual advises me to choose and use either the OS in lens stabilizer or the Pentax in camera SR...shake reduction....but not to use both at the same time.

So far I'm pleased with this lens...heavy, big....but the photo's are sharp. I use settings of usually ISO 800, F 10 +/-....shutter speeds around 1/640th to 1/1250...all while hand held.

I see you're in Quebec...and therefore I'm assuming communicating with the Canadian distributor....so I don't understand why they are saying no OS in a Pentax mount 150-500 Sigma ?

I don't know if anythings changed...very recently. My Sigma was ordered from the Sigma distributor, by a camera dealer for me. Came in April. I'm located on the prairies.
06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Salut Sylvain.

I also have this lens and it does have the OS, as described by lesmore49 in the previous post.
This lens was originally from Henry's Photo (a Canadian outfit).
I would call the store where you plan to order and ask them to confirm that the OS switch is right there on the lens ... I would assume it does.

By the way, the Canadian warranty on some (such as the 150-500) Sigma lenses is 10 years in Canada, just in case.

Cheers!

JP
06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My lens is one without OS but I don't miss it, the SR works great in my K-5.
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
When I press half-way on the shutter, I can see the image stabilizing quite a lot!
You can't see the in body SR stabilize the view through the as the sensor movements are outside the optical path when looking through the viewfinder. The OS instead is in the optical path when looking through the viewfinder so you see the stabilization. When it comes to actually stabilizing the photo it doesn't matter.
One negative for the OS is that the movement of the OS element draws more power than the sensor based one, that's the trade off for a stabilized viewfinder.

06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Salut Sylvain.

I also have this lens and it does have the OS, as described by lesmore49 in the previous post.
This lens was originally from Henry's Photo (a Canadian outfit).
I would call the store where you plan to order and ask them to confirm that the OS switch is right there on the lens ... I would assume it does.

By the way, the Canadian warranty on some (such as the 150-500) Sigma lenses is 10 years in Canada, just in case.

Cheers!

JP
JP,

My Sigma has a 10 year Canadian warranty as you say. But I have heard that as of May, 2013 the Canadian warranty is now 7 years, although any Sigma lens sold previous to that date, with the 10 year warranty will have that 10 yr. warranty honoured... at least that's my understanding.. I haven't been able to confirm, though.

Les