Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Hood for this lens - any ideas?

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Sigma 75-200 f3.8, i'd been hankering after one for a while and it popped up on eBay. Sadly it didn't come with the hood so I've had to find one myself. I did a search for telephoto lens hood with a screw fitment of 55mm, the first one I received was too short (wide angle). I've just got a B+W one through the post today which is 55mm and designed for telephoto lenses, the only thing is it looks odd to me - it doesn't get much wider like a normal hood does (see pic below). However the hood doesn't seem to appear in the frame. Do I have the right hood here or not? is it actually going to work? if not can you please link me to the correct one to buy.

Thanks,

Alex

06-07-2013, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's nothing magic about hoods. If it fits on the lens and doesn't vignette (the longer the better) it's good. Brand label is superfluous.

And, no, this "hood" doesn't vignette - the FoV of a 300mm lens is narrow - and even more so on APS-C.
And, yes, it has flat black spray paint inside. Works fine - draws attention - breaks the ice in a crowd.

DIY Lens Hoods - no math required

Last edited by pacerr; 06-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.
06-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

You've got the basics down fine. If the lens does not vignette at the highest aperture you are good.

I DO like the logo hood also pictured in this string. Someone is missing a marketing opportunity here! Can you see the long lenses on football field side lines with this logo or something similar???

Regards,
06-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There is a simple test. Zoom out to widest (in your case 75mm), set camera to Av mode and wide open, then take a photo of an evenly lit surface or the sky. Then take the hood off without moving the frame and take another photo with exact same settings. If its edges are darker (vignetting), then the hood is too long. You might still be able to use it without vignetting at longer focal lengths or if the lens is stopped down enough. Or if you don't mind the vignetting, some people even like it.
But on the other hand, you don't even need a super long lens hood on a telephoto lens. The one in your photo actually looks good. Oh, and some people like to buy the three stage rubber hood. It can be found cheap online, and its flexible, so you can make it shorter or longer, depending on your needs.
If you want a hood for esthetic reasons, get a nice tulip hood (aka crown, flower,..) or a vented hood (the vented one won't be much use on this kind of lens at all, but it looks impressive)

06-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

I have had the same lens for a couple years and frequently use the three stage rubber hood and have no complaints. I also have the screw on 55 which makes the lens longer for transport. Either works as far as I am concerned. You will like this lens, very good quality for the price.