Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
+1. While I'd love a DA 135-400 matched to the 18-135, I'd jump on a DA 55-300 with WR in a second.
I think with the 18-135 WR a good option for Pentax might be a 100-300 WR with. TC.

I suspect Pentax hopes people simple go up to the DA* 200/300, but those are cost prohibitive for most. Also, AF on longer, slower glass with a TC can be an issue.

06-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, when you really are in need of using a WR lens, then it is likely that the conditions are not ideal for exchanging lenses. When it is really dusty, or moist, then I don't want to be stuck on a very limited focal length, or being forced to expose the delicate insides of my camera to the elements. So, that is why in my honest opinion, WR lenses with the largest zoom range make the most sense.

My lens line up is almost completely primes, and it is backup up by the 18-135. It's a real workhorse. Admitted, the IQ isn't up to prime standards, but who cares about that when there's moist or dust in the atmosphere anyway?
06-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA*50-135 is NOT big and heavy for what it does. Compared to a fast full-frame 70-200 (I have one) it is a tiny lightweight, and its IQ rivals any of the best. With an extra body (loaded with a DA*16-50) you're ready for anything, in any weather.

I absolutely *love* the DA*55. One of Pentax's greatest lenses. If you want a wider view, you can always stitch a panorama as long as the subject isn't moving.

And don't forget the DFA100WR: uniquely useful in its niche.

I'd be all over a fast DA* wide angle prime if it came into existence, and I don't think I'm Robinson Crusoe there.

With all that said, the DA18-135WR would be my one stop shop if I didn't have all the goodies.
06-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'd be all over a fast DA* wide angle prime if it came into existence, and I don't think I'm Robinson Crusoe there.
Yep I'm with you there. That would be awesome. Something between 15 and 24 at F 2.8 or better

06-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, when you really are in need of using a WR lens, then it is likely that the conditions are not ideal for exchanging lenses. When it is really dusty, or moist, then I don't want to be stuck on a very limited focal length, or being forced to expose the delicate insides of my camera to the elements. So, that is why in my honest opinion, WR lenses with the largest zoom range make the most sense.

My lens line up is almost completely primes, and it is backup up by the 18-135. It's a real workhorse. Admitted, the IQ isn't up to prime standards, but who cares about that when there's moist or dust in the atmosphere anyway?
I use my camera mainly when trekking so there´s always moist or dust or both or raining, windy, too hot, too cold, etc.The thing is I never had a superzoom but never needed one either. I use the DA18-55WR (now DA16-50) for the most. If I wanted to shoot tele I would find a place (tent, refuge, inside my first cloth layer) to swap for the FA80-320.
At the end of the day I place the camera under the tap (with WR lenses of course), let it dry and then clean the mirror box with a blower.

If my primes were WR or as easy to replace as the FA80-320, I would use them in this canditions too but that is not the case.