Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theedudenator Quote
I did some pixel peeping today.

Compared my 50mm/1.2 vs 50mm/1.4 lenses

I shot 1.2 1.4 2.0 and 4.0.

I cannot honestly see a difference as far as sharpness goes. The lenses are probably beyond the limits of the K10D camera.

I did notice the 50mm/1.4 had a touch more contrast wide open.

I dunno if it is worth it or not now... $500 for the 50mm/1.2 and $200 for the 50mm/1.4 (+AF)
Comparing Fa 50 f1.4 to A 50 f1.2

Fa 50 f1.4 is CA prone, not sharp until f2 or so like most of the 50mm lenses across brands. The bokeh is neutral at best against various types of backgrounds. The lens does not take bright lighting too well at all. Better used indoor.

f1.2 in A 50 f1.2 makes the lens a fun one. It tests creativity of an individual in how to effectively use this wide aperture, composition skill.

Still, A 50mm f1.2 is softer and less harsh comparing to 50mm f1.4

If you look at this image, the bokeh is still quite bad...

The left upper corner has the tramtrack pattern bokeh - distracting

A serial array of ring like bokeh above the entrance of the background building - harsh edges

Tree branches turns out a few bokeh rings, greens tend to have nasty smudged look to it instead of being soft and creamy.

The highlight bokeh on the roof (right upper corner) is again quite harsh with strong edges.

But Fa 50mm f1.4 can be worse in these areas.

04-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theedudenator Quote
I really like the smooth manual focus on the 50mm/1.2.
The AF confirm is nice also.

Maybe I can get a different focus screen for manual focus???

Anyone else picked the MF 50mm/1.2 over the AF 50mm/1.4??
Yes, I did. The smart choice would have been the FA 50. However, LBA got the better of me and I got a brand new A 50 1.2 from Matsuiya Store.

It is a VERY nice lens, well built and all. I don't regret buying it. Not necessarily because of the extra 1/2 stop or image quality, though both are great, but mostly because it has been a fun experience. It forced me to learn to focus manually and I learned a lot about DoF (or lack thereof).

Focusing wide open is tricky. I ended up buying a KatzEye screen. With that installed, I am a happy camper. I also have the OME53 eyepiece, but that was not enough to focus accurately.
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Comparing Fa 50 f1.4 to A 50 f1.2

Fa 50 f1.4 is CA prone, not sharp until f2 or so like most of the 50mm lenses across brands. The bokeh is neutral at best against various types of backgrounds. The lens does not take bright lighting too well at all. Better used indoor.

f1.2 in A 50 f1.2 makes the lens a fun one. It tests creativity of an individual in how to effectively use this wide aperture, composition skill.

Still, A 50mm f1.2 is softer and less harsh comparing to 50mm f1.4

If you look at this image, the bokeh is still quite bad...

The left upper corner has the tramtrack pattern bokeh - distracting

A serial array of ring like bokeh above the entrance of the background building - harsh edges

Tree branches turns out a few bokeh rings, greens tend to have nasty smudged look to it instead of being soft and creamy.

The highlight bokeh on the roof (right upper corner) is again quite harsh with strong edges.

But Fa 50mm f1.4 can be worse in these areas.
The bokeh is very distracting indeed. Was that shot at f/1.2? Moving closer the subject might be able to smooth it out.
04-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The bokeh is very distracting indeed. Was that shot at f/1.2? Moving closer the subject might be able to smooth it out.
exif says 1.3