Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raccou Quote
I did some "research" (google ) on the lensbabies, and tilt/shift lenses. Could you do about the same things with the lensbabies as with the tilt-shift lenses? I'm thinking about the perspective correction. I've seen that the selective focussing is widely demonstrated, but haven't seen any 'straight' buildings shot with the 'babies.
Any experience with that?

cheers
I've not used the 3G or 2.0, but I did play around with the original Lensbaby when it was introduced. Unless something has drastically changed in the design, I'd say the answer is 'probably not'. Looking at the 3G I can't see any way of moving the lens while keeping it parallel to the sensor. The Lensbabies (especially the 3G with it's locking screws), somewhat replicate the swing and tilt movements of a view camera, but not the shift, and most importantly for architecture, the rise/fall movement. They also have a pretty limited image circle so you start to run out of resolution and light fairly quickly if you try to do a straight shift or rise/fall. Maybe someone with more Lensbaby experience could chime in on this.

Of course if Dmitry and Mike keep posting great images I might have to pick up a 3G and I can answer definitively!

04-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

more questions

So, how does metering work with the lensbaby? Since aperture is adjusted with the aperture disc, can you just put it on Av and set the aperture to match and have it all Just Work?
04-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
So, how does metering work with the lensbaby? Since aperture is adjusted with the aperture disc, can you just put it on Av and set the aperture to match and have it all Just Work?
Just select the aperture disc you want to use. Set camera at aperture priority. I find that due to the bellows extension, you would need to add +2 stops exposure compensation to factor in the light loss (on a K100D).
04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The Lensbaby doesn't communicate with the camera electronically, so you're basically using a manual lens. I've just been taking an educated guess at the first exposure, seeing how under or overexposed it is, and adjusting the shutter speed to compensate. If I get 1/30 sec @ f5.6, I just adjust the shutter speed to 1/60 when I use the f4.0 disc, et cetera.

This lens takes time to set up and focus.

Here's what they say at their site: Lensbabies >>> start
For Pentax, scroll almost to the bottom.

This lens isn't all that strange to me, as I used to use a Sima soft-focus lens which was similar in design; a hollow tube with one uncorrected element in it with manual aperture discs, and no communication with the camera.

What I did have to get used to with the Lensbaby, was moving the sweet spot, locking it and fine tuning the focus. It's not hard, you just have to do it a few times before it becomes second nature.

The photos I just posted were the 4th test I did, and the first ones I am satisfied with.

I have yet to use this lens outdoors.

I recommend this lens to anyone who likes the special effects it's capable of producing, but stress that you need time for set up, focusing and exposure tests. To me, a tripod is a necessity.

The more I use it, the more I like it.

Mike

04-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Just select the aperture disc you want to use. Set camera at aperture priority. I find that due to the bellows extension, you would need to add +2 stops exposure compensation to factor in the light loss (on a K100D).
+2 stops was almost always what you had to add when using the Sima Soft-focus lens.

If your hand-held meter read 1/125th @ f2.0, you'd simply adjust the shutter speed to 1/30th, and you'd get a pretty accurate exposure. It was almost a fool-proof formula.

No instant sample to make sure your exposure's correct as with digital.

How lucky we are now.

Mike
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
+2 stops was almost always what you had to add when using the Sima Soft-focus lens.

If your hand-held meter read 1/125th @ f2.0, you'd simply adjust the shutter speed to 1/30th, and you'd get a pretty accurate exposure. It was almost a fool-proof formula.

No instant sample to make sure your exposure's correct as with digital.

How lucky we are now.

Mike
Well I find that shooting using Av (aperture priority) is dead easy and have very rarely needed to set the shutter speed manually (the K100D's compensation range is +/- 2 stops). As the camera sets the shutter speed, shooting is way faster with on only the focus to concentrate on.

04-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
The Lensbaby doesn't communicate with the camera electronically, so you're basically using a manual lens.
Right, I get that, but the only communication it really needs is the focal length for SR (and the camera asks you for that) and the aperture for metering. And you should be able to tell it that with Av mode, right?

QuoteQuote:
Here's what they say at their site: Lensbabies >>> start
For Pentax, scroll almost to the bottom.
Ah, thanks, I'd missed that.

04-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well I find that shooting using Av (aperture priority) is dead easy and have very rarely needed to set the shutter speed manually (the K100D's compensation range is +/- 2 stops). As the camera sets the shutter speed, shooting is way faster with on only the focus to concentrate on.

So far, every shot I've taken has been on manual with the camera on a tripod. I guess I'm just old school, but I will try your suggestion, creampuff. Thanks.

Nice shot, by the way.

Mike
04-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Right, I get that, but the only communication it really needs is the focal length for SR (and the camera asks you for that) and the aperture for metering. And you should be able to tell it that with Av mode, right?

Ah, thanks, I'd missed that.
Sorry, I can't help you with this one, Matt, as I don't know.

I have never used the shake reduction feature on my K100D.

As I said above, I'm very old school. To me, shake reduction is a tripod!

I like the look of the original Lensbaby more than the 3G, but knew that I needed the locking feature, since I usually use long exposures on my still life shots.

On a different note, I'm starting to like this lens so much, that today I bought the wide angle/telephoto set for it. If it's a 50mm lens (75mm on digital), and the telephoto makes it 80mm (120mm) I figure you can get really shallow depth-of-field, and nice-looking bokeh at f2.0 to f4.0 at that focal length. I also bought a 37mm Tiffen Soft FX 3 filter to smooth out the sweet spot of the lens.

So far the Lensbaby was $290, the telephoto set and filter $140 = $430. That's almost the price of a DA70!

I guess in for a penny, in for a pound.

Mike
04-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Want a cheap wide/tele or macro option to your existing lensbaby?
Go to a video store, yes video!!! and ask for one of their wide, tele or macro lens attachments. They share the same 37mm filter thread as the lensbaby and work the same but at a fraction of the cost.

I paid about $20 for both a wide and close up supplementary lenses and it works perfectly.
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hello again, everyone.

I did some tests with my Lensbaby 3G and the Tiffen Soft F/X 3 filter I bought; here are the results.

Lensbaby 3G @ f4.0 @ 1/30 sec. no filter.

Lensbaby 3G @ f4.0 @ 1/30 sec with Tiffen Soft F/X 3 filter.

Now, for a more colorful subject.
F4.0 @ 1/30 sec - no filter.

F4.0 @ 1/45 sec with Tiffen Soft F/X 3.

The numerals on the buttons on the phone in the unfiltered shot are pretty sharp, but you can see the subtle effect of the filter in the second shot. Same with the tomatos.

Now, I have to do some tests with the Tele attachment.

Mike
05-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Duh_Vinci:
I gotta say about your smugmug site, I felt like either the monitor or I was moving when I looked at your shots (the ones with the leaves especially). Great effects and great vision of the subject.
05-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I've used it on K100D and K10D, fun lens, definitely allows some room for creativity.

I use 2.0, some samples in color in this gallery:

Dmitry : photos : Selective Focus- powered by SmugMug

And B&W in starting with the clock in this gallery (blue-ish tinted):

Dmitry : photos : Monochromatic- powered by SmugMug

No regrets, love this lens!

Regards,
D

Seriously creative! And I must add you have one fat cat! Himalayians are so pretty.
creepy cemetary picts.
05-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #29
MrA

Want a cheap wide/tele or macro option to your existing lensbaby?
Go to a video store, yes video!!! and ask for one of their wide, tele or macro lens attachments. They share the same 37mm filter thread as the lensbaby and work the same but at a fraction of the cost.

I paid about $20 for both a wide and close up supplementary lenses and it works perfectly.
What's the widest lens one can reasonably get with a lensbaby, then? I'm interested in trying some crazy and outlandish architectural shots, since it'll be a long while before I can get a proper t-s lens (unless I live on baked beans for 6 months...hmm...). With adaptors/etc can you get anything close to a decent wide angle?