Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Which basic lenses should I invest in?

What would be 2 good lenses for a Pentax K-5? One with wide angle capability, good for landscapes and such and another good for portraits, macro and maybe telephoto?

I currently have an old Sigma 28-80 asphyrical lens that can't get a very wide angle with the k5 frame and is generally considered a cheap lens.

06-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Erm... I think most would suggest you to start off with the 18-135.. Wish i have one too.. :/

From then on, you'll slowly figure out which FL suits you most..
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Starting with the basic kit lens 18-55mm or the all around 18-135mm is a good suggestion.

On the other hand, Pentax offers some superb primes.

For landscape, the DA15mm Ltd is a tiny pancake lens with superb, outstanding IQ.

For portrait, some prefer a focal length about 50mm, other prefer 70-85mm. I am of the latter. My suggestion would be the FA77mm f1.8 Ltd.

Hope that the comment may help.
06-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sigma 8-16 and Tamron 17-50. Samyang 14 and Sigma 70 macro.

06-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is an intensely individual choice and very difficult for people who don't know you and your style. Many advanced users really love the prime lenses but a lot of us don't want to give up the utility of good zooms. I think it is important to cover the range of shots - wide, normal, short tele/portrait and longer tele. If you can do that with primes, great but to start out, you might find a couple of overlapping zooms to be more useful. A "walk-around" lens like a 16-50 mm or 17-70 mm covers the most useful range and a 50-135 mm extends the range. Add a longer lens for reach, like the 55-300 DA and everything is covered.

If you don't want to invest quite so much, the 18-135 mm makes a very good all-in-one solution. Then, after you accumulate a collection of photos, take a look at your collection to see if most of your shots fall into a particular narrower range and think about a good prime or short, fast zoom that covers that range. For example, if most of your shots are at the short end, a wide-angle prime might be a good investment. Conversely, if most are in the "portrait" range, a prime or short zoom in the 75 to 135 mm range might work better. I think the key is to match up your lenses with your particular shooting style.
06-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
If you don't want to invest quite so much, the 18-135 mm makes a very good all-in-one solution. Then, after you accumulate a collection of photos, take a look at your collection to see if most of your shots fall into a particular narrower range and think about a good prime or short, fast zoom that covers that range. For example, if most of your shots are at the short end, a wide-angle prime might be a good investment. Conversely, if most are in the "portrait" range, a prime or short zoom in the 75 to 135 mm range might work better. I think the key is to match up your lenses with your particular shooting style.
This makes the most sense for you, Id go for the 18-135 and just use it - a lot! A few months on, you can go back and analyse your collection to see what focal lengths you use the most, then you can buy lenses to suit your style. That way you would be getting glass you will use...
06-08-2013, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #7

Good advice here already but lot depends on your budget. Maybe the best value two lens kit you can get for Pentax is Tamron 17-50/2.8 (the original, not the "VC" version) and DA 55-300 (I prefer the DA, not the DA L, as DA has quick shift which WILL become handy as focusing may miss sometimes). It is quite versatile, reasonably small and lightweight kit and gives pretty good starting point. Tamron can do landscapes and portraits as it's quite good at 50mm and F2.8. DA 55-300 can also do landscapes, portraits and wildlife. It is F4.5 up to 200mm so pretty good. You can't get true macro with those but those focus quite close nonetheless (Tamron gives ~1:4.5 magnification and DA ~1:3.5). Good luck with your choice!

Couple with Tamron 17-50/2.8:

And with DA 55-300:

06-08-2013, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I will be going against the grain, and advice very differently from the other posters.

First, I note that you have not given any budget, and so, I assume that "money is not an issue" here?

Second, I note that you have a zoom already. You do not say that you hate your zoom, so I assume that you don't

And third....I'll recommend getting primes (fixed focal length) lenses. I personally find that when I use a zoom, I get sloppy in composing: just turn a ring. With a prime, I have to "zoom with my feet - and as I am already moving, then I might just step a little to the right also to get a better framing". I just get better composed pictures that way.

Another reason why I recommend against a zoom is....apertures. If the glass in the lenses are the heart of image quality, then the aperture is the lungs: just as important for the whole thing to work out. With a given focal length, the aperture at the time of exposure determines a lot of things, such as the "depth of field", how "sharp" the image renders, risk of vignetting, how out-of-focus parts of the image renders, if there's going to be refraction, etc.

With a prime, you will get to know exactly what it's "sweet spots" are with all that, it will become second nature: for this given lens, I get this result when I set the aperture thus...always. With a prime, you may set exposure and focus and all that, and then decide to zoom a bit....*bam* you've now changed the focal length so logically you should change the aperture to still obtain the result you want - most people (at least, I) don't, however, because doing so requires looking at the lens barrel to know what the current focal length actually is.

I have, and use, two zooms myself: 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8. They're great, but I have to make an effort (or, not care) about the above, which I don't have to do when using primes.

I will make three recommendations, though, and give my opinions - knowing that choosing basic lenses is a hugely personal matter, and that my opinions and thoughts may not at all be right for you or anybody else.

So...

For portraitures and moderate tele, there really are three lenses that I find good: the 55/1.4, the 77/1.8Ltd and the 70/2.4Ltd. As some may know, I am a sucker for fast lenses - a metric on which the 55/1.4 wins this competition. It is a brilliant lens, great IQ, silent AF, modern, DA* so water resistant (like your K5). The 77/1.8Ltd is, probably, my favorite focal length in this range for "moderate tele work", though, but it's pricy, it doesn't do SDM (silent and fast AF using an in-lens motor), is not water resistant, does not have quick-shift etc). Thus, for a "portraiture and moderate tele lens" for you, I'd actually suggest that the 55/1.4 would be perfect.

For wide-angles, there're really an extra question: do you want wide-angle, or do want ultra-wide angle. Either way, Pentax actually offers something that'll work. For Ultra wide-angle, it's the legendary 15mm Limited that wins the battle: rectilinear, sturdy metal construction, great rendition and IQ all around.

My guess is, however, that you do not really want ultra-wide angle, but a more classic wide-angle, and to that effect I would humbly recommend the 21mm Ltd. To me, it's basically the 15mm Limited (i.e. it has the same qualities) but slightly less wide and so slightly less distortion and a more "classic wide-angle" field of view.

In summary, therefore: Don't get another zoom. Get the DA*55/1.4 and the DA 21/3.2 Limited. I think that this will give you just what you are looking for.

But, wait...I promised three recommendations. Ok, here goes....the perfect three-lens kit includes also the DA 35/2.8Limited. Why? Well, to me that is the /perfect/ normal lens for walking about, it renders images beautifully and....it's a MACRO lens. It's the lens I stick on my camera almost every single time I venture into the nature, and I often use nothing /but/ the 35/2.8.

So, summarizing again:

1) If you're set on two lenses, I'd go with DA*55/1.4 and DA 21/3.2Ltd.
2) If you're open for three lenses, then I'd add the DA 35/2.8Ltd Macro to the two above.

Of course, while this is a pricy recommendation, I honestly believe that you're better off investing in good glass that will make you happy once, than you are in buying a cheaper (and slightly unsatisfactory) glass that will either turn you off photography or force you to invest again later....

Last edited by tclausen; 06-08-2013 at 01:21 AM.
06-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I would suggest three good primes, 15 ish, a 50 and something around the 85 ish mark, you've then got most things covered focal length wise.
06-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I would suggest three good primes, 15 ish, a 50 and something around the 85 ish mark, you've then got most things covered focal length wise.
I wish I could agree with you, kerrowdown, but Pentax doesn't do something modern around the 85 ish mark, do they?

(In my Olympus days, my favorite lens was the Zuiko 85/2.0)
06-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Pentax doesn't do something modern around the 85 ish mark
Well I've got one.
06-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Well I've got one.
I think we may differ in the definition of "modern" So let me be clearer: "I do not think that Pentax have any current production 85mm ish APS-C or FF prime lenses in their line-up."

There're a couple of no-longer-in-production 85mm prime lenses (some of these come with great reputations).

There are several current-production zooms that cover 85mm also, although I was given to understand that we talked about primes

Depending on how loosely you define "85mm ish", the FA 77/1.8 Ltd and two 100mm macros also are current-production lenses that may or may not fall within the definition of "ish".

And, I guess that with an adapter, the 645 90mm/2.8 could be considered an "85mm ish lens for K5" also, but this may be out in the weeds

As for 3rd-party lenses, I do not know the offering well enough....

Clearer now, kerrowdown?
06-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I think we may differ in the definition of "modern"
The original OP didn't specify "modern"

What you saying I'm not modern cos I'm still wearing big wing collared shirts, wide lapel jackets and flared breeks?

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-08-2013 at 03:39 AM.
06-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It indeed comes down to the definitions of the OP.
If 'invest' means that the lens should keep its value than its construction should be from metal and glass, not plastic, and not with a motor and electronics.
Also, 'basic' means 'prime', it is not a zoom lens either.
So, I agree with kerrowdown that a set of prime Limited lenses is the way to go.
06-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
So, I agree with kerrowdown that a set of prime Limited lenses is the way to go.
Thank you kind sir.