Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax? Tokina?

I am admittedly new to Pentax gear... but it seems to me that some of the Pentax lenses don't only look like Tokina Lenses but also have the same attributes... for example the 12-24 f4 or the 50-135 f2.8. Is it really worth the difference in the cost for what appears to be the same lens? Just curious....

06-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax and Tokina have a history. Pentax has sold a couple of its designs to Tokina, I think. The question about price is still a good question. Pentax lenses sometimes have features that Tokina ones don't, like SMC coating (which is supposedly superior), quickshift (I think) and overall build quality (used to be a big difference, not that big anymore). But the question of price still remains. I think a big reasons is also that Tokina sells to a lot of brands, unlike Pentax, so volume can make up for price.
I seem to remember some articles and threads on this topic in the past, maybe they can give you some more insight if you are interested to search.
Pentax also had a partnership with Samsung and Tamron btw. And usually the Pentax labelled lens costs more, which definitely angers some Pentaxians
06-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Some of the Pentax lenses, including the 12-24, we're co-developed with tokina. I don't think the tokina branded ones are out for Pentax, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the 12-24/4 I doubt it, they are almost the same except coating and quick-shift. The 50-135/2.8 on the other hand is really nice with its quiet focusing and good weather sealing, making the higher price understandable. Note that there are no Tokina versions of the lenses available in the Pentax mount.

06-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There was some licensing agreements between the two as Hoya had their fingers in both. The current Tokina lineup isn't available in Pentax mount, only Canon and Nikon so you aren't going to be able to buy a new Tokina for your Pentax DSLR.
06-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There was some licensing agreements between the two as Hoya had their fingers in both. The current Tokina lineup isn't available in Pentax mount, only Canon and Nikon so you aren't going to be able to buy a new Tokina for your Pentax DSLR.
So I now see... I did find a Tokina 20-35 f3.5/4.5 (more of what I want focal length wise) and the heavy 28-70 f2.8 (too heavy, wrong focal length for me)... I don't mind used, just looking for function, size and cost... The Pentax 16-45 still seems to be the overall best choice for me for what I want...

Thanks for the input, that puts a lot of history together for me...
06-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbmax Quote
So I now see... I did find a Tokina 20-35 f3.5/4.5 (more of what I want focal length wise) and the heavy 28-70 f2.8 (too heavy, wrong focal length for me)... I don't mind used, just looking for function, size and cost... The Pentax 16-45 still seems to be the overall best choice for me for what I want...

Thanks for the input, that puts a lot of history together for me...
I bet we all want Tokina to contribute to the K-mount again. They make many really nice lenses that somehow often gets overlooked in other mounts, just because they carry the wrong name. A DA* version of the Tokina 11-16/2.8 would be great for adventurers interested in landscaping and people enjoying urban stuff in bad weather!

06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbmax Quote
I am admittedly new to Pentax gear... but it seems to me that some of the Pentax lenses don't only look like Tokina Lenses but also have the same attributes... for example the 12-24 f4 or the 50-135 f2.8. Is it really worth the difference in the cost for what appears to be the same lens? Just curious....
Pentax co-ops with Tamron too by relabeling their 18-250/270 as DA. I believe some earlier FA lenses might be Tamron designs as well, but I'm not certain of that. Also my Promaster / Cosina 100mm f/3.5 1:2 macro appears to match the FA100/3.5.