Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone purchased 10-17 from Beach lately?

I have an order in to Beach Camera for the DA10-17. I submitted it last week before the expiration of the 1/9 rebate. However, it's still sitting there "in process". I contacted Beach and they said it was on back-order and that it should be in in 5-10 working day (1-2 weeks). However, their website has always shown the item as "In Stock, ships in 1-2 days". Has anyone else bought this item from Beach recently? Or, have you had this happen with any other item purchased from Beach? I've had good service from them for the other items I've purchased.

I guess my only complaint is that they've always shown it as "in stock". I'll probably wait since they're $30 cheaper than the next place, but I certainly don't want to put the rebate at risk somehow.

01-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #2

I JUST sent an e-mail to them today. I placed my order last week of a K100D, DA 16-45, 100mm macro, and DA 10-17 fisheye. The only items that were sent were the K100D body and the macro lens. I am a bit disappointed, as, like you said, all items were listed as "in stock."
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CDIH before I ever use Beach again

In early December, I ordered the 50mm lens from Beach . . . charged my card the day I ordered but, will not cover the whole story since more will follow, did not receive the lens until just before Christmas. Ok, I gave them the benefit of the doubt due to seasonal demands, etc.

On January 2nd, I noticed that Beach had the 10-17mm "in stock" and a great price . . . 429 including shipping. To be safe, I called to confirm it was in stock . . . answer was "yes" and I ordered over the phone with Ray.
January 2nd . . . Beach charged my credit card and emailed me an order confirmation.
January 4th . . . no further word from Beach so I sent an inquiry to customer service.
January 5th . . . Nancy at Beach responded that the order would be shipped within 24 hours and I would be sent the tracking number.
January 8th . . . still nothing from Beach . . . order showed as "in process". I called and spoke with Eli who claimed to be the Customer Service Manager . . . long story short, item was not in stock, the day I placed the order there was, supposedly, a "glitch" in the system and, quite frankly, after Eli spoke to the buyer he came back and advised he had no idea when they may get more in stock and suggested I cancel the order. I advised I would leave the order as is unless I could find the lens elsewhere.
January 8th . . . found the lens at another supplier.
January 8th . . . called Beach, cancelled the order and received confirmation email.
January 11th . . . received my lens from the other supplier . . . cost about 40 more but, as most legitimate suppliers do, they charged my CC upon shipment and actually delivered.
January 11th . . . credit from Beach was applied to my CC.
Funny, Beach manged to charge my card within minutes of my placing the order but the credit took three days.

Will i ever do business with Beach again . . . NO WAY.

In case you have not noticed, Pentax has put out new rebates and, I believe, they are continuing the 100 rebate on the 10-17 . . . I suggest going elsewhere.
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

always ck here
Compare Prices and Read Customer Reviews at ResellerRatings.com
here's beach's excellent review.
Beach Camera / Beachtr.com Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

if it's too good to be true then...............

01-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen these "ratings" before. However, my personal experience does not bear them out. I almost wonder if the ratings are real. Or, perhaps, manufactered by their own people writing reviews.

The only difference between the two attempts to purchase was that, after many frustrating and contradictory emails/phone calls, I did, finally, receive the item I ordered.
I have also seen other strings on this board very similar to mine.

Shame on me, when I got the invitation to comment on my experience with Beach, I was so PO'd that I deleted the emails. Thanks to your link, I now see how I can, after all, rate their service . . . I should say, lack of service.

As I indicated above, in my book they have had two opportunities to have my business and failed me miserably.
01-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll say that this is my first bad experience with Beach after several smooth transactions. I'm inclined to wait, but continuing to show it as "in stock" when they've told me it's out of stock is a little shady in my book.
01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
always ck here
Compare Prices and Read Customer Reviews at ResellerRatings.com
here's beach's excellent review.
Beach Camera / Beachtr.com Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

if it's too good to be true then...............
Yes, that's always good advice. I checked them out last summer when I ordered my DL. They've always provided good service to me until this time.

01-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account

In over 10 years, I have been pleased with B&H. Their website is always accurate there service first rate. They may cost more for some products, but for me it is worth it for the peace of mind and reliability.

Regards,
Erl
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
In over 10 years, I have been pleased with B&H. Their website is always accurate there service first rate. They may cost more for some products, but for me it is worth it for the peace of mind and reliability.

Regards,
Erl
I agree . . . have used B&H and others without any problems . . . you get what you pay for . . . "If it looks to good to be true, it probably is . . ." :>)
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Yes, that's always good advice. I checked them out last summer when I ordered my DL. They've always provided good service to me until this time.
Did you notice that on this "unbiased" rating page, Beach is a featured seller . . . do you think that is because of their rating or they bought the ad???? I checked several other camera stoes, rated higher but not on the splash page . . . hmmmm.
Ever look at the "seller stats" and try to relate it to their "rating" . . . mind boggling . . . very difficult to relate stats/reviews to the site's rating. I am sure the response would be that we are statistically challenged.
Anyway, good luck in pursuit of your lens . . . Personally, I hope this company ceases tro exist . . . non-existent business ethic.
01-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #11

Well, they sent me the 10-17 today... still waiting for the 16-45 from them...
01-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Retnuhrace Quote
Well, they sent me the 10-17 today... still waiting for the 16-45 from them...

I checked and they credited my account last week. However, the order still shows as pending in their system. I think this one fell through the cracks.
01-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Online purchasing

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote

Regards,
Erl
I used B&H to purchase a Sigma EF-500 Super P-TTL for my istDL2 while on vacation in Arkansas and it arrived in two days! It was just a small order, but I am impressed and will buy from them again!

Cheers
Mr. H

Last edited by Mr. H; 01-13-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: insert URL
01-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I cancelled the order. Freed up some money to buy the Sigma 135-400 from KEH.
01-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered a Sigma Bigma last night about 10:00pm from 47th Street via Amazon . . . they shipped it today and sent me th tracking number . . . has not even appeared no my CC yet . . .
THAT is SERVICE . . . :>)
Beach could learn a lot from these folks . . .