Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Takumar Bayonet 28mm

So, I've recently acquired this vintage lens, the Takumar Bayonet f2.8 28mm. It turns out that a friend of mine had a few Pentax lenses from her ME Super days. I've read the review and other posts regarding this lens here in the forum, and it just doesn't seem to get the love it deserves!

I constantly read statements like "The corners are not as sharp as the center until stopped down...", to which I would respond "Duh!".
Even the truly great Pentax-DA 21mm Limited suffers from that complaint on occasion.

I truly enjoy shooting with this lens, which is currently mounted to my K-30. The metal construction, smooth focus ring and certain notched feel of the aperture ring are a joy. The minimum focus distance and the relatively short trip to infinity fit my style of shooting just fine.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah...
Here are some photos.

The sun just above this old shack was brutal, though I find this particular lens flare terribly attractive.

06-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like many things in life, if you like it, thats all that matters. I really like your photos, looks like you have a winner.
06-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your last image illustrates why the Takumar Bayonet lenses don't get the love. The coatings are not as good and they tend to flare and wash out in many conditions. But as you illustrated handled properly they can deliver very good images.
06-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Isn't this the same optical design as the M, A and F series, just without the SMC coating? I'd expect it to be as good as them outside of the flare. The rest of the Takumar Bayonets were either mediocre zooms and the 135mm f2.5 that was a 4 element design and nowhere near as nice as the 6 element M42 Takumar or K series 135mm f2.5.

06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yep... according to the review:
"This lens has no super multi coating of the lens elements but is otherwise optically identical to the second version of the smc PENTAX-M 28mm f/2.8 lens."
06-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
So... as LBA begins to take hold, I've just bought the SMC Pentax-M 28/2.8 (version 1/silver ring), and then a curious little find - a Ricoh XR Rikenon 28/2.8.
06-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really liked that lens during the time I owned it. Not as contrasty as the DA21 or FA28 but still better than its reputation. My main gripe is that it's full manual and the wife won't use those lenses.

06-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've given mine to my daughter to use on her K100d since I now have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM.

I thought the 28mm was good value at $30.

Your pics prove me right!
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I really liked that lens during the time I owned it. Not as contrasty as the DA21 or FA28 but still better than its reputation. My main gripe is that it's full manual and the wife won't use those lenses.
Yes... better than its reputation. I guess the whole review/ratings thing should be taken with a grain of salt. When a review of one lens contains ratings ranging from 6 to 9, which I think is significant, you just gotta try it for yourself. If my friend didn't already have that lens available, I would never have considered it - based on the reviews. So I've got two more 28/2.8s on the way and plan to spend next week wandering the streets of Chicago (and my own backyard) shooting with:
  • Takumar Bayonet 28mm/f2.8
  • SMC Pentax-M " "
  • Ricoh XR Rikenon " " (this lens has received killer reviews here)

Cheers!
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
Yes... better than its reputation. I guess the whole review/ratings thing should be taken with a grain of salt.
Apart from the quality of the lens reviews, they often do not mention if the review is done for APS-C or for film.
A lot of M generation lenses suffer from mediocre corner performance on film, but that falls outside the APS-C scope.
So yes, the takumar/takumar-a/pentax-M(V2)/pentax-A/pentax-F 1:2.8 28mm has 'problems' on film, but performs quite OK on APS-C
06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Apart from the quality of the lens reviews, they often do not mention if the review is done for APS-C or for film.
Ah... never considered that the crop may improve the performance rating by inadvertently removing the blurry parts.
04-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

The lens is excellent and it is not radioactive. But... Maybe you should try to find lenses that repel flare and attract perfection. Magic coatings do that!...
04-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giorgio One Quote
The lens is excellent and it is not radioactive. But... Maybe you should try to find lenses that repel flare and attract perfection. Magic coatings do that!...

bah - let him run with the single/non-coated lenses and discover their magic...
04-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<<<<<<<<<<<<Zombie thread alert>>>>>>>>>>>

From 2013.........
04-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

isn't that awesome!?!?!?!