Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will these lenses work with...

my k10d? Sorry to have to ask but am fairly new and not sure which will work. I need to have really good quality photos from a macro lens and so far people here have been very helpful. Which of the lenses below will give the best results??
I hope to someday have the knowledge to share with others like wise Thank you for your time and information.
Any heard of this brand and know anything about the quality,

Albinar 35~70mm Zoom Macro?

Albinar 80-200 1:3.9 macro zoom lens - Pentax K mount

80-205mm f/3.8 Rokunar MC Quick Macro f/ K-mount???? Never heard of this brand either???

Pentax KA-Mount 70-210mm f3.8 Macro Zoom [Promaster]

Pentax-A f3.5-4.5 28-80mm Zoom with Macro

Sigma 3.5 70-150mm lens w/ macro

TAMRON SP 90MM F/2.8 MACRO 1:1

Pentax Albinar 80-200mm Zoom Lens w/Macro For K1000 ME

PENTAX K-A SIGMA 35-70mm F2.8-4 MACRO 1:6.7

PENTAX 35-105MM F3.5 SMC-A MACRO ZOOM LENS Film Digital

03-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of the lenses you listed, the Tamron 90mm macro is going to give you the best macro results. Some of those zooms will give decent results, but they simply can't equal a dedicated macro lens. Are you strictly needing to shoot macros and nothing else?
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Of the lenses you listed, the Tamron 90mm macro is going to give you the best macro results. Some of those zooms will give decent results, but they simply can't equal a dedicated macro lens. Are you strictly needing to shoot macros and nothing else?
I will be shooting macro and flower beds. So shooting will be mixed. I am shooting for a destination garden. So not all the pics will be macro.
I also found this lens
Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG Lens for Pentax
03-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow...this is kinda tough to say. If you're going to shoot close-ups of flowers as well as overall shots of the flowerbeds and garden, you almost need two lenses...one for the close-ups of the flowers and then maybe a medium to wide angle zoom for the overall shots. If you bought the 18-55mm kit lens when you bought your K10D, you could certainly use that for your overall shots, then pick up either the Tamron 90mm macro or the Sigma 105mm for the close-ups. Either one will do you a fine job quality-wise. Of the lenses on your list, the only one I own is the Pentax 35-105mm SMC-A. It happens to be one of my favorite lenses. And while it does have a macro feature, it's no substitute for a true macro lens. How are these pics going to be used? Are they for a brochure or web page?

03-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Wow...this is kinda tough to say. If you're going to shoot close-ups of flowers as well as overall shots of the flowerbeds and garden, you almost need two lenses...one for the close-ups of the flowers and then maybe a medium to wide angle zoom for the overall shots. If you bought the 18-55mm kit lens when you bought your K10D, you could certainly use that for your overall shots, then pick up either the Tamron 90mm macro or the Sigma 105mm for the close-ups. Either one will do you a fine job quality-wise. Of the lenses on your list, the only one I own is the Pentax 35-105mm SMC-A. It happens to be one of my favorite lenses. And while it does have a macro feature, it's no substitute for a true macro lens. How are these pics going to be used? Are they for a brochure or web page?
they will be matted, possibly some framed and for sale in their shop. I am not sure what else they may want to do with them but I know they offer calendars for sale and such too.
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
they will be matted, possibly some framed and for sale in their shop. I am not sure what else they may want to do with them but I know they offer calendars for sale and such too.

Okay, so you do need pretty high quality images. All of the lenses on your list that have an "A" designation will allow more control with your K10D, so that's something to keep in mind. I'm not familiar with the Albinar, Rokunar, or Promaster lenses, so I can't say how the quality is with them, but the Sigmas, Tamron, and Pentaxes ought to be able to deliver what you're needing. I'm not saying the Albinars, Rokunar, and Promaster are bad lenses, though. Most third party lenses are made by just a few companies in Japan and then re-badged. The trick is in knowing which manufacturer made which re-badged lens and that's where my knowledge is lacking.
03-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Like others have pointed out, zoom macro would not match the quality of a dedicated macro, especially for printing purpose. However, the Tamron and Sigma migth be too narrow for a flower bed shot and definitely not very suitable for the whole garden.

I think you may want to check out some 50mm macros. Since flower macro rarely needs to go to 1:1, the working distance might be comfortable enough. The focal length provides a decent field of view (FOV) to cover a flower bed, and if you stand far enough, you might be able to get a good view of the garden.

Personally, I would go with 2 lenses: a macro and a wide lens (prime or zoom). All mainstream macros are sharp when stop down so just find the cheapest one (providing it's in good working order).
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right now I have a Pentax 50-200 4-5.6, & a Pentax 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens. I also have a wide angle Pentax lens from a 35mm camera that will work with my K10d. I will use one of the lenses I have for the garden pics. So now it is deciding what macro lens to go with. Now that this piece is figured out I need to find a dedicated macro lens that will give me outstanding prints ! I really appreciate everyone's help.