Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Read this article by our very Al (who lives in LA ) Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye vs Sigma 10-20mm Photo Gallery by alinla at pbase.com

03-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get both!

Honestly, thats what I did. But, for different reasons.

When I took a cruise in December, the Fisheye practically lived on my camera. Love it.

Loaned it to a friend for her trip to Hawaii because she had photo envy. Thought it would be a short term loan but it's been longer than expected. However, even before the loan was extended, I missed it and bought the 10-20, for another superwide, and a different experience. And I love that too

thought I'd sell one, but I doubt I will now.
03-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help!
At present I think I will take Pentax one, because it seems more interesting and lighter, while the distortion can be modified by softwares.
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jianshi Quote
Thank you for all your help!
At present I think I will take Pentax one, because it seems more interesting and lighter, while the distortion can be modified by softwares.
Not to beat a dead horse, but before you take the plunge go to Flickr and enter "Fishey Lens" and look at what you'll be getting. To me, it will take a great deal of PP'ing to straighten out some of the messes that lens can get into. Now, many will argue that's the intent and well it may be, however you're saying you'll handle distortion using software. Hummm, I wish you well. I own the 10-20 (flickr "sigma1020" for examples) and have a personal leaning to the rectilinear perspective. Which ever you choose, you'll definitely be getting a new view.

03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

i got the fisheye and ended up getting rid of it. It actually made me seasick to work on the photos. Probably one in a million (of course in China that means there would be over a thousand of me...scary thought, especially to my ex-wives), but the visual distortion induced slight motion sickness with me. Not when I was shooting or just casually looking at images, but when I was doing pp in aperture...ie when I was spending a fair amount of time looking at the screen.
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Wait.

Don't buy a fisheye with the intent to defish the images as your sole intent. a perspective corrected fisheye image will never be as good in quality as an already rectilinear corrected ultra wide like the Sigma 10-20mm.

Here is an example I have done. Its the only image I have bothered to fix because I really like the distortion this fun little lens gives, so I don't bother fixing it. I used Corel Paint Shop Pro XI to fix the perspective. This is what you can expect result wise.

Pentax 10-17mm.

Perspective corrected.

Quite a few photographers will tell you that a fisheye isn't for everyone. It is a fun lens to use, and really adds some creativity to any camera bag. It does not replace a 10-20mm rectilinear corrected lens however. If you want to get architecture with nice straight lines, then stay away from any fisheye.

Before you jump in, do a little more research. My decision to get this lens was a no brainer. I wanted the distortion to play around with. Everyone is different.
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just remember that the "180 degree field of view" should not be misunderstood as a horizontal measurement. If this were true, then two images would give a 360 degree field of view, whereas the lens needs three images, because the 180 degrees is a diagonal measurement. Having said that, it's still bound to unleash those creative juices.

I have a Sigma 16/2.8 Filtermatic fisheye and love it, although the Pentax zoom might be more useful because of the wider range and zom function. The view through the Sigma is phenomenal on a film camera, however. Saw one going this week in the $225 range on eBay, and that is really good price for the fun you'll have.

Edit: Interesting - my first post based on a search, and promptly the post appears in a completely different thread from the one I though I was responding to ! Anyway, still may be somewhat useful, if not, please disregard.