Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 10-17 or Sigma 10-20?

Some people say the Sigma one has higher QC, while I saw some nice pictures taken by Pentax.
Could anyone here tell something about these two lens? Which one is better and worthy of choosing?

03-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

you cannot compare these lenses, period.

one is a fish eye the other is rectilinear, they produce drastically different images esp when used at their widest.

it would be like comparing a snow board to a ski when your goal is to get down the hill.

here is a shot used with a rectalinear wide angle lens (not my own work, some dude from todays toronto star article)

see how the sides/corners are stretched with relationship to some point in the center, (also balancing the cameras center point with relationship to the floor creates for very drastic effects)

compared to a fish eye:

as you can see there is no 'stretching', only concave distortion,

also a fisheys effects are felt greater when you move closer

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-14-2008 at 12:07 PM.
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi jianshi

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Which one is better
This is a difficult one ! Is an apple better than a banana ? Well, as you're not comparing like-with-like, it really boils down to personal likes and preferences. Due to the rectilinear design of the Sigma 10-20mm, I find this variable zoom-lens utterly brilliant for landscape & interior architectural photography, but the Pentax fish-eye opens up different opportunities of a more dramatic nature where creativity is concerned. The expression 'horses for courses' springs to mind, so my best advice would if possible be to visit a photographic store that carries both lenses, in order that you can see what each one can do for you.

Best regards
Richard
03-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As mentioned you would be better of comparing the sigma 10-20 against the Pentax 12-24. Anyway I've done quite a bit of research on these 2 & will be buying the Sigma very soon

simon

03-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
hll

hi,
maybe jianshi does not know the difference.
i know the difference quiet well but i still don't know which one to buy!!
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

that's an interesting pic of dundas station, i'd be worried if the stations were actually that dark in real life
03-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
you cannot compare these lenses, period.
Yes, you can. "Comparing" means looking at similarities and differences. The fact that they produce different images is part of the comparison.

It is the same as comparing vinyl and CDs.
03-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want both of them. Right now I can't afford either. The price for both is the same as a tank of fuel oil. Do I heat the house for the rest of the winter or buy lenses? Running this by my wife won't help.

03-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi reeftool

Re your present conundrum:

QuoteQuote:
I want both of them. Right now I can't afford either. The price for both is the same as a tank of fuel oil. Do I heat the house for the rest of the winter or buy lenses?
The answer to that one is fairly simple. If I were you, I'd temporarily mortgage the wife until summer arrives and put the proceeds towards sufficient fuel oil & a Sigma 10-20mm. I hear on the grapevine that she's an understanding kind of woman, so I wouldn't worry yourself about the eventual consequences.......always remember, life's like walking a tightrope !

Best regards
Richard (Ex Marriage Guidance Expert....lol !)
03-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, you can. "Comparing" means looking at similarities and differences. The fact that they produce different images is part of the comparison.

It is the same as comparing vinyl and CDs.
you missunderstand, when one compares something the assumption is that the end result is similar but the quality difference

while the end result is identical for both lenses, "a picture", the nature of the pictures are very different, and it would be silly to compare them.
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #11

As people have pointed out, these lenses are not exactly comparable. I just had the same rectilinear vs. fish-eye comparison and for me the 10-17mm fisheye won. One benefit is that it's good for making 360x360 degrees panoramas with PTGui easily with just a few shots. I find it quite enjoyable.
Here's some fisheye shots that I took recently.

Picasa Web Albums - Janne - Fish Factory ...

But like I said, they are not comparable and you should decide what you use it for.
03-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi reeftool

Re your present conundrum:

The answer to that one is fairly simple. If I were you, I'd temporarily mortgage the wife until summer arrives and put the proceeds towards sufficient fuel oil & a Sigma 10-20mm. I hear on the grapevine that she's an understanding kind of woman, so I wouldn't worry yourself about the eventual consequences.......always remember, life's like walking a tightrope !

Best regards
Richard (Ex Marriage Guidance Expert....lol !)
Well, we finished doing the taxes this weekend and we're getting back a pretty good chunk of change so I might be able to pull it off (buying a lens or 2, lol). Thanks for the advice though.
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies! I'm sorry I didn't check this thread these days.
Now I am aware of these two lens, Pentax fisheye has the circular distortion while Sigma is a super wide angle lens. But I still have some questions: Does the fisheye effect exist through all the zoom range (from 10 to 17mm)? If at the long end it can be used as a normal rectalinear lens, that's great! If Sigma works as a normal ultra wide zoom, probably I'll choose Pentax 12-24, it is said to be a very decent landscape and indoor lens.
Sorry, there are no local shops around my town, so I have to ask online.
03-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
hll

you can find some samples on photozone.de, lens review...
i don't have the lens, but at 17mm it has less distortion, closer to a linear lens... but still it is a fish eye...
i think the only one who can decide is you...
Pentax SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED[IF] Fisheye - Review / Test Report
Pentax SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED[IF] Fisheye - Review / Test Report
03-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I have the fisheye, and not the Sigma.

One thing I have noticed, you can control the amount of distortion dependent on where you place the horizon line. If you place it dead center, the effect is greatly diminished. You will always get a little barrel curve on vertical objects on the side of your composition. Place that horizon line up or down however and it will curve to extremes.

In other words, if you know what your doing with the lens, you can control the distortion somewhat.

Yes, there is a little distortion at 17mm.

Yes, the fisheye will give you a wider field of view at 11mm then the Sigma will at 11mm.

I really like the fisheye. It works great for close-up work also. Likewise, you can defish a photo taken with a fisheye using software, but be warned, you do lose edge quality somewhat.

As to which is best for you....they are both very different lenses. I chose the fisheye because I already had a 16-45 Pentax. I felt that if I wanted wider, I would go extreme. At 11mm, the fisheye will give you a true 180 degrees field of view.