Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Why is this impossible? Why is there no lens that fits this description? I never said it had to be a fast lens. I didn't even say it had to be a good lens.

I believe there are half a dozen lenses that match the description - unless I am missing something.
There are not many tested on the Q sadly and most similar lenses have a tough time. Check this out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ce-thread.html
Not that diffraction hit the Q very early so when you stop down slower lenses to get better image quality you increase diffraction at the same time. But with adapted lenses on the Q it's all about testing and trying as guessing the performance is really really tough.
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Have you tried a deeper hood? I am talking about a home made - carboard 20cm long hood! tape it over the existing one to see how it works..
No, but it may help a little tough. Maybe I'll try it but I'm lazy and I'll probably just end up sticking the wonderful DA*300/4 on the Q, which is a very good performer.

06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

With that being said we need way more testers of cheap AF zooms on the Q. Maybe you'll find a hidden gem!
06-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
With that being said we need way more testers of cheap AF zooms on the Q. Maybe you'll find a hidden gem!
My original idea was to sell my DA 50-200 and get a longer zoom with because 200mm isn't much longer than my recently purchased 18-135, and to get one with an aperature ring so I can mess about with it on my Q (once it arrives).

But maybe I'll stick with the DA50-200, and consider getting a sharper manual lens for the Q. (Or just use my M 135 to start with.)

Thanks
06-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #19

Original Poster
I didn't know about that - I'm sure it will be very helpful. Thanks.

06-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My original idea was to sell my DA 50-200 and get a longer zoom with because 200mm isn't much longer than my recently purchased 18-135, and to get one with an aperature ring so I can mess about with it on my Q (once it arrives).

But maybe I'll stick with the DA50-200, and consider getting a sharper manual lens for the Q. (Or just use my M 135 to start with.)

Thanks
You'll never know how lenses performs on the Q before testing, so feel free to do anything you want. The 55-300 is one nice performer from what I've seen and maybe you can shop for either the DA-L or the DA? As long as you get the right adapter (not the Kiwi etc) with a good aperture ring you can go with DA lenses. You should really try the 135mm as it also seems to be a good performer!
I didn't know about that - I'm sure it will be very helpful. Thanks.
No problem, it's amazing how much work some people do on the forum.
As you see the type of lens you ask for is pretty badly covered on the list so it would be great if somebody would try a couple!
06-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #21

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap zoom lens, ideally up to 300mm, but may consider 200mm.

I need an aperture ring (so can use it with a Q with a cheap adapter), but would also like autofocus (to use on my K30).

Some ability to close focus would also be a bonus.

And I don't want to spend too much. Maybe between 50 and 100 (Is that about $80 to $150?).

Happy to buy second hand.

I think there are a few lenses that meet these criteria, from Sigma and Tamron, and also Pentax F/FA lenses.

Any recommendations appreciated?
If you do not already own a k to Q adapter, I believe a few offer an aperture on them that are not too expensive. I am assuming that would allow you to use the da lenses, but hopefully someone can comment to confirm that it does in fact control aperture on da lenses.
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #22

After doing some checking, it appears as though the k to q adapter with aperture will allow you to use something like the da 55-300 and have aperture control, which I would be looking for. I snagged an L version off the auction sight for about the top end of your budget, and have been real impressed with it used on our k-x.

It seems to do well on the q per the adapted lens thread, and others that have posted on the Q forum, as I don't yet have that adapter. Probably one of my next purchases.
06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daleeper Quote
If you do not already own a k to Q adapter, I believe a few offer an aperture on them that are not too expensive. I am assuming that would allow you to use the da lenses, but hopefully someone can comment to confirm that it does in fact control aperture on da lenses.
They sure provides aperture control. Though some do it better than others so do the research.

06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #24

Original Poster
My Pentax Q arrived - and I love it. Already have a cheap adapter (tripod mount, but no aperture control).

My first real attempt with the adapter (with M 50mm 1.7) was pretty much a failure. Think I might need to do some research. Basic indoor shots of random things look reasonable (given the low light and I didn't bother with a tripod). But first outdoor shots were far from sharp and with thick purple fringing like someone had drawn round the edges with a crayon.

Again, was just messing about and was without a tripod (but I was trying to keep the shutter speed above 200).

But that failure aside, loving the camera.

Have just got a vivitar series 1 70-210 3.5. Really wasn't expecting to win it, but no one else bid. And also got an M 80-200. I didn't mean to buy both, but as I say I really didn't expect to get the vivitar. So I guess I'll see which I prefer and sell the other.