Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe my Luck!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I'm still processing the shock.
I found the insanely large collection of an old photographer and hobby-astronomer, his astronomy club is selling it at insanely low prices
but it's still just too much for me to even buy a fraction of it. It's an entire house full of heaps off great glass, Russian and German
medium format lenses (Pentacon-Six) by the dozens.
Zeiss logos everywhere, heaps of good(not the cheap stuff!) glass for M42, Pentax, Minolta SR, Canon FD, Rollei QBM...
And they have just started unearthing all those treasures!

I just missed a Zeiss 75mm f/1.5 (M42, 40€ !!!), a Zeiss 180mm f2.8 (Pentaxcon-Six) and a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.2 (20€ !!!)

This is what I managed to scoop up with the 130€ (~$175) I had on me (I didn't dare to try and haggle but it would probably have worked):
- Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye in K-Mount
- Tokina 17mm f/3.5 in K-Mount
- Soligor 17mm f/4 in Minolta SR-Mount
- Kiron 24mm f/2 in K-Mount
- Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 with M42 screw-mount

All in perfect condition in their original lens cases.

I'll never be able to buy all those treasures for myself, so what should I do with this (almost) secret chest of treasures?
At the prices those poor astronomers are asking they are really getting ripped off, so what should I do?

A) Share my secret in some of the local (=german/european) camera forums and send the plunderers on their way.

B) Point the Astronomers towards better places to sell and sources for realistic prices.
(B*) Help them sort and sell the treasures for a share of the profits.)

C) Pick the best deals and sell them at huge profits.

I need advice on what's the right thing to do. I need your moral guidance, my fellow pentaxians.

regards
Jan

06-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd be leaning towards B* myself with a first option on some of the lenses. Be up front, tell them what you know.
06-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'd be leaning towards B* myself with a first option on some of the lenses. Be up front, tell them what you know.
I jokingly offered to help with cataloging and online sales in exchange for a share in the profits and they seemed to welcome the offer.
The problem is that given the probable value of the whole collection (well into the five figures, I reckon), Ebay would probably consider them commercial sellers (which means they'd have to offer warranties, apply for a business licence and file for sales taxes) and most german forums don't allow sales "for a Friend".
They are after all selling the collection for the family (and a donation to the club, I guess).
Only a smallish number of items could be sold on forums and the best place seem to be Ebays site for private ads and similar sites.

The collection contains multiple copies of many lenses (i.e. 4x Zenitar 16mm, 5x Arsat 250mm f3.5, ...), selling those at the same time hardly seems like a private sale, even if it is.

regards
Jan
06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
borrow some money and buy the whole lot, then sell them yourselves. :-)

06-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
borrow some money and buy the whole lot, then sell them yourselves. :-)
I don't think that is the kind of moral guidance that's usually considered moral...

But I suspect that I'll end up selling a lot of it at some point to get me some of them shiny Limiteds...
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
I jokingly offered to help with cataloging and online sales in exchange for a share in the profits and they seemed to welcome the offer.
The problem is that given the probable value of the whole collection (well into the five figures, I reckon), Ebay would probably consider them commercial sellers (which means they'd have to offer warranties, apply for a business licence and file for sales taxes) and most german forums don't allow sales "for a Friend".
They are after all selling the collection for the family (and a donation to the club, I guess).
Only a smallish number of items could be sold on forums and the best place seem to be Ebays site for private ads and similar sites.

The collection contains multiple copies of many lenses (i.e. 4x Zenitar 16mm, 5x Arsat 250mm f3.5, ...), selling those at the same time hardly seems like a private sale, even if it is.

regards
Jan
You could throw them all up in the Marketplace here and they'd be gone within the week or 2
06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting dilemma. What is magic vs. experience vs. moral vs. realism etc. Advise? Hmm..web sales, with it´s global price flattening effect, is making the world of flee markets a less magical, interesting place. You were already deep into the grab-for-steals mode, when you stopped to consider morals. Is it not their responssibility to think about, what they are doing? If they want to make good profits, they will have to get professional about it. That takes work. Time. Experience. A treasure box is a magic object. I once, as a young student, had a special experience: I went into a bookshop to look for some used books. Asked for some titles. Found a bunch. But when I wanted to pay for them, the owner would not take my money and said I could have the books for free. ??? She simply wanted me to have the books and keep my money. I accepted her offer, feeling good and, I guess, she felt good as well.

06-13-2013, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #8

Moin!
Please share your luck, if you get the impression that these people are fine with the rates they are selling their stuff for. I'm a poor student from Bremen and I would hate to see the stuff go to somebody who will buy it cheap to sell it for profit. I'd much rather use it for my own photography.

I've actually been thinking about organizing a free for all photography workshop in a self organized place here, some time in the future after finishing my studies (which I hope will be this summer. Perfect time to be free, again), so if there is a chance to acquire analog equipment in good condition for a good price, maybe this project will see some progress, finally. Do they have darkroom stuff there, as well?
06-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If it's at all possible, I'd go with B*. If you provide guidance and help, there is no reason why you shouldn't be rewarded, but since you seek moral guidance it means you obviously are not comfortable taking advantage of the situation. You could offer to advertise the lenses for them, then share the price difference between what they are asking and what you can get. Win win.
06-13-2013, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #10

You should go for B*.

But if you go for A, I'm from Hamburg (Pauli-fan, nicht HSV ) so just send me a list
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

yeah, B* seems like a pretty righteous move. but if you're compelled to go for A, then...
06-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The weather's dreadful so I just took a shot of my balcony to have a look at the bokeh.

f/1.5:

f/2.8:

f/11:

Last edited by Boris_Akunin; 06-13-2013 at 04:50 PM.
06-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations. It looks to be a great and wonderful lens. regards
06-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it's quite special. But it's way too large and heavy for my taste (I went for Pentax because of the Limiteds after all), so I'm selling it here.

regards
Jan
07-01-2013, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #15

so much for the moral dilemma. very smooth move to buy it in a package for 130 €, now sell it for 400 €..