Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #1

DA* 16-50 f/2.8 zoom creep?

Hello everyone,
I have a question for all you DA* 16-50 owners. I got mine yesterday, used from e-bay. After some playing-around with it -- no serious photography yet -- I noticed that the zoom moves up and down when pointing the camera up and down, respectively. No dramatic thing. I really have to tilt it 90 degrees and/or shake a little. But since there are so many praises out there about its build quality it makes me wonder.
What are your experiences with this zoom. Am I overreacting and this is something completely normal for lenses in this weight class. Or is this maybe the outcome of extensive use of the pre-owner. In the latter case, its e-bay description wouldn't be a 100% true and thus the seller wouldn't deserve best marks.
But I really want to be sure, so comments are highly appreciated.

Regards, Mathias

06-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of the box it shouldn't have any creep, but some can certainly develop over time. I'd say that it was most likely caused by the previous owner.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never considered it a possibility. Mine's firm to zoom. Almost too firm.
06-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Mine is still firm after 4 years. I have the 60-250 also which is firm also but will creep some when hanging at my side. However, just pointing the camera up and down will not make them creep. Does the seller offer returns?

06-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so far for answering!

It was a private e-bay auction so no returns or anything. No risk... ;-)
According to your experiences the part of the seller's description "lens was rarely used and is therefor in a very good state" could be considered -- let's say -- a bit misleading. Would you agree on that?
However, at the moment I can't really say if this bug will annoy me during normal usage. I have yet to take it on a shooting tour to know whether to get really upset with it. But I tend to think it'll be fine. Or am I too indulgend here?
06-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mathias2784 Quote
Thank you so far for answering!

It was a private e-bay auction so no returns or anything. No risk... ;-)
According to your experiences the part of the seller's description "lens was rarely used and is therefor in a very good state" could be considered -- let's say -- a bit misleading. Would you agree on that?
However, at the moment I can't really say if this bug will annoy me during normal usage. I have yet to take it on a shooting tour to know whether to get really upset with it. But I tend to think it'll be fine. Or am I too indulgend here?
I'd say hardly used might be true. Misused the entire time it was owner? Quite possibly. Either way, if it functions fine optically, I'd say you're probably safe.
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Mine's firm to zoom. Almost too firm.
same here. How much did you pay for it? I wouldnŽt like mine to do that... If you paid over 600 IŽd talk to the seller..
06-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

absolutely talk to the seller. He will make it right if he is an honest person.

06-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
How much did you pay for it?
I paid 580 EUR. I will talk to him anyway. I think the loose zooming action is something he should have mentioned and even if i would have gotten away with half the price, i wanted to know what product I'm about to buy.

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
He will make it right if he is an honest person
He will if cares for good reviews ;-)
11-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
end of story

Oha! Totally forgot about this thread

If anyone is interested in the end of my story:
The zoom creep eventually got away. Well, if I point it upwards at 50mm and shake it like maniac it may creep to 45mm or so, but nothing to complain about really.
However, one day, when I was playing around at home, shooting nonsense, trying things, I noticed that the aperture doesn't close at longer FLs. Tried to close it manually with my fingers at the mount. Thing was stuck. Sent it to consumer service. Paid 150 EUR. Got it back everything is now fine
Before it was fixed, I was often wandering about the much too bright auto-exposure of my K5 II

Needless to say, I informed my much beloved E-Bay seller about everything and reported my disappointment.Guess what: never heard of him again
Either he isn't the brightest for not noticing the flaws of an expensive lens (especially before selling it) or he is just a plain #*Q!".

Anyway, this experience has ruined my trust in e-Bay auctions. At least concerning expensive lenses.

Thanks again for advices
11-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

580 + 150 for a good 16-50 seems OK though?
11-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
580 + 150 for a good 16-50 seems OK though?
I totally agree. Especially since its factory-visit included adjustment of optics.
11-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mathias2784 Quote
I totally agree. Especially since its factory-visit included adjustment of optics.
That's almost $1,000 US Dollars he paid for that lens including the repair charge. He got SCREWED. That is a $650 dollar lens in used good condition.
11-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That's almost $1,000 US Dollars he paid for that lens including the repair charge. He got SCREWED. That is a $650 dollar lens in used good condition.
Who is 'he'? Is it me?
In order to avoid discussions about exchange rates, I'll stick to EUR.
In Germany, the cheapest internet price for a brand new DA* 16-50mm is roughly 900 EUR. Incl. lens repair, I paid 730 EUR.
After all, although I had some frustration with this issue, I wouldn't consider it the worst deal. Not saying that it's a steal, either.