Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Wow, what a view on the last one!
It was breathtaking. I have several shots of this to make a panoramic. though it was diffucult becouse of the fast moving clouds and some kind of mist or haze that came and went.

06-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geedee Quote
Haha, nice try Pancho, I already got the 55-300, after lifting up a brick like the da 16-50 I'll surely abstain from taking the 60-250 with me, even though I'm well informed about it's quality.

Already went to Torres some years ago (2003) then still with the ME Super. Suppose I won't be going there this time since some mountains in Chile and Argentina are on my list and also got some work to do in Santiago.
Haha, was worth the try...
Let me know which places you are planning on visiting.
Rosamonte is good stuff, fancy. haha
06-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my 16-50 on saturday, nice stuff. have to check out it's capabilities the next weeks.

Francisco, I'll keep you informed. Your photo of Aconcagua truly captures all my fascination for the Andes. Fantastic!
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

First, thanks for the write up. And I agree with everything you said from the excellent build and handling to the desire for a more compact hood when reversed

More importantly, I agree entirely with Rondec regarding many complaints coming from those that haven't really used it. I swear by that lens and found it has become the staple of my photography, namely when I am in a documentary mode. One of the things that I can't really seem to understand is the vitriolic hatred for SDM. I understand there have been some failures, but it is always the frustrated that make the most noise. So for every SDM failure that is voiced here, while unfortunate, logic would require the realization of at least 50 SDM owners that are happy with theirs and never say a word. In a perfect world the word failure would not exist - something Canon, Nikon, and Sigma experience as well despite our wishes to experience greener grass. And when you can buy a 7 year warranty for $29 when bought new and you can also get 2 year warranties for used lenses from MACK? I agree that Pentax should at a MINIMUM offer a 5 year warranty on SDM lenses, but to claim that the lack of one from Pentax when legitimate workarounds are available is prohibiting the confidence to enjoy perhaps the greatest APS-C standard zoom ever made?

I very strongly recommend that if a deal comes up on the used marketplace or new (as new it should be around $899 or better, not what has been done to the pricing lately), then you should absolutely grab it.

-Heie

06-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geedee Quote
Got my 16-50 on saturday, nice stuff. have to check out it's capabilities the next weeks.

Francisco, I'll keep you informed. Your photo of Aconcagua truly captures all my fascination for the Andes. Fantastic!
Congrats!, you won´t regret that lens. Let us know what you think about it.
Thanks for the compliment, means a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
First, thanks for the write up. And I agree with everything you said from the excellent build and handling to the desire for a more compact hood when reversed
Heie, thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. It is a good point about SDM failure statistics.

I had the chance to take a walk with the lens today and posted my findings while comparing it to some primes: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/228275-da16-50...ml#post2423291
The only thing I think about now is "DA50-135 or DA60-250?" My god!
06-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

60-250 over the 50-135 without any hesitation whatsoever, especially if you are predominantly an outdoor shooter. The only reason I have the 50-135 is because I got it before the 60-250. Which reminds me - I have been meaning to sell it.

The 16-50 + 60-250 is in my opinion the zenith of dual camera outdoor/photojournalism usage.

-Heie
06-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Good to see some positive opinions about this lens for a change.

I've had mine for 3 years now with no issues.

Tom G

06-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Congrats!, you won´t regret that lens. Let us know what you think about it.
I was able to check out the lens a bit the beginning of this week. I really like it, even though I always loved the 16-45, the 16-50 is a step up in image quality (even though I haven't profoundly checked flare resistance which is said to be so-so). Sharpness and bokeh are better in the da 16-50, beautiful colour rendition is the same as in 16-45. The handling is of course soo very nice, and weight is still acceptable to me.

The 16-50 I own was bought used, abour three years old, but SDM works fine, albeit not extremly fast.

As I wanted to have a WR standard zoom with at least the optical qualities of the 16-45 I think this purchase was a good idea.

Some of the test shots.