Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buying used online - anyone do it? Do or avoid?

What's the hit/miss ratio for buying lenses online from auction sites like eBay and Shop Goodwill? In many cases the prices are very good which raises the potential of getting a deal. It feels risky though. What if the internals are damaged and the seller just didn't know about it? It could be an honest mistake. For example, they picked up a barrel of glass from an estate sale. I went on a small rampage and bought some lenses that should arrive this week. In my searching I avoided descriptions that said no lens caps were included and if there was no mention of "no scratches, no fungus, no oil" then I crossed that off the list too.

06-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, loaded question.

It is risky. I've gotten some tremendous deals, and some awful pieces of garbage that I put into the dumpster immediately. It depends on how good you are at identifying what you think is being sold, how good the photos are, and how honest and/or knowledgeable the seller is of the item.
06-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

1) Always read the advert thoroughly, looking for what is described and just as importantly what has not been said or described.
and
2) Check the vendor's feedback and comments from purchasers, and make sure they have enough feedback to be meaningful.
and
3) If something has not been mentioned in an advert, then send a question to the vendor and make sure you get a complete and satisfactory reply.

Even if you don't tick all the above, it doesn't mean that you won't get a good deal - but if it does go wrong then be prepared to take the hit!

In my experience, the vast majority of people who use eBay are genuine and honest, and you will probably not have any issues. I have bought several lenses on eBay and have always been satisfied that they were as described. But unfortunately we often justhear a lot about the small number of rogues on there and not much about the vast majority of decent traders.

If you are unlucky and the lenses have been significantly mis-described, then contact eBay if you get no luck resolving the issue directly with the vendor.

Have fun with your new lenses when they arrive.

Last edited by percy; 06-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
06-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

On Ebay, if the seller mentioned that everything was in great condition and it is listed as "Used" condition and you find it to have issues, first you contact them and if they won't give you a refund or allow you to return it, you open up a case against them for item not as described if the issues weren't shown in the photos or mentioned in the listing. However, if the listing condition at the top was marked as "For Parts or Repair", then assume and expect to get items in bad condition that you cannot return/refund. (please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, this is how it works on Ebay)

I am done with buying old used gear from Ebay or shopgoodwill. Once I got a camera/lens lot that was listed in beautiful condition and guess what, there were these little white bugs in the case and all over the gear- GROSS. So now I'm done buying like that. lol (I have a huge phobia for bugs and I'm a neat-freak)

Now I try to purchase from reputable sellers such as KEH and Adorama, here on the Marketplace, or in person.

Sometimes if you take a chance, you can snag some good stuff, but I'm done playing that game.

06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you must be looking at the m 50 1.7, smc 85 1.8 and smc 35 2 on shopgoodwill...tempting but the comment "Body has been dropped. All show use & wear" keeps me from taking the risk
shopgoodwill.com - #13432848 - Pentax MX 35mm Camera + Lenses - 6/17/2013 7:13:00 PM
06-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
you must be looking at the m 50 1.7, smc 85 1.8 and smc 35 2 on shopgoodwill...tempting but the comment "Body has been dropped. All show use & wear" keeps me from taking the risk
shopgoodwill.com - #13432848 - Pentax MX 35mm Camera + Lenses - 6/17/2013 7:13:00 PM
Actually, I ended up winning a K2 with a 28mm, f/3.5 K lens on shopgoodwill.com. The description said clean with no fungus or oil. That's pretty specific for something like Goodwill. Maybe there is a Pentaxian working there?
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Actually, I ended up winning a K2 with a 28mm, f/3.5 K lens on shopgoodwill.com. The description said clean with no fungus or oil. That's pretty specific for something like Goodwill. Maybe there is a Pentaxian working there?
Congratulations. Have you received it yet? Is it in the condition you anticipated? The worst purchase I ever made was from ShopGoodWill - everything, and I mean everything, was described as in good shape but it was all filled with fungus and went straight to the dumpster. But I have also gotten stellar deals there too.

06-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. Have you received it yet? Is it in the condition you anticipated? The worst purchase I ever made was from ShopGoodWill - everything, and I mean everything, was described as in good shape but it was all filled with fungus and went straight to the dumpster. But I have also gotten stellar deals there too.
No, not yet. I just paid for it yesterday. I really do hope it works out!
06-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
No, not yet. I just paid for it yesterday. I really do hope it works out!

Good luck, and keep us posted.
06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

I've bought several lenses from eBay and no problems yet. Mainly I think you just need to do your due diligence reading the description - both what is said and what isn't said. Check the pictures. If there are no pics, skip it. If they don't talk about something, ask them. If they are reluctant, skip it.
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
I've bought several lenses from eBay and no problems yet. Mainly I think you just need to do your due diligence reading the description - both what is said and what isn't said. Check the pictures. If there are no pics, skip it. If they don't talk about something, ask them. If they are reluctant, skip it.
I was going to post a reply along the same lines.
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Now I try to purchase from reputable sellers such as KEH and Adorama, here on the Marketplace, or in person.
I tend to do just this. I pretty much avoid ebay for used electronics and camera gear. While I think most ebay sellers are legitimate, it seems that when it comes to used lenses a lot of them are being sold by people who picked them up at a yard sale or a pawn shop where they really don't know how to rate the condition properly.

The Marketplace here is my first place to buy, followed by KEH. I might pay a little more with KEH, but to have the 14 day unconditional return option, plus the 6 month warranty is worth it to me.
06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, Too!

I'm on the list of folks who have had (overall) good experience with eBay, Probably half my lens collection, a film and a digital body, many accessories like hoods, a BG-2 grip, AF360fgz flash, a Bogen tripod and other stuff I'm not remembering right now. Also had great results here on the Forum, my K-7 and a couple of newer lenses.
Boris, follow the advice posted earlier about checking the seller's rep, quotes from past buyer and go over the description/photos carefully. If ANYTHING seems shaky or false, skip it. You might still get the occasional clunker but overall it's a great way to build your collection.
JMO,
Ron
06-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've bought tons of lenses & cameras on eBay, here on the forum, & elsewhere and have only gotten 2 duds on eBay. One was from a seller who packaged it loose in the empty box & it banged around & shattered in transit, and the other was from a dishonest hosebeast who portrayed the lens as being "like new" and "crystal clear optics", but it was so infested with fungus it looked like it was full of cotton. Worst fungus case I have ever seen. In both cases I got my money back.

Do your dealings through PayPal & be reasonably careful & you should be ok.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
06-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

With lenses you should be careful. I got an M50/1.7 for $40 as a buy-it-now in superb condition. Looked brand new. Just make sure they offer good photos (like something you'd find in the marketplace here, not blurry cell phone pics) and they clearly state the condition of the lens, aperture blades, rings, if it has any fungus/haze, scratches, etc.