Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A sad evening

This evening I went through a box that contained all my old Pentax film SLR gear, sorting the wheat from the chaff as I tried to decide what 'stuff' I could use with my new K-30. I had been hoping to use a couple of my M42 lenses on the new camera but after a close inspection it looks like my 28mm prime and my 80-200mm zoom are going to be next to useless!

Both lenses seem to have suffered from an ingress of dust over the years and in one case it looks like a microscopic bug has found it's way onto an inner element. There is no fungus that I can see by looking through either end at a white ceiling and there is no oil on the blades but there are a few visible dust particles which have to be on the inner elements as I scrupulously cleaned the outer glass prior to examining them.

I don't know whether the dust will show in use (the bug probably would) but it looks like they will be staying in the box and most likely will never take a photo again.

At least I have the memories of all the good shots they took when in their prime.

On the plus side my 50mm K-mount prime is still in pristine condition so that should get some use again.

06-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust on the inside of M42 lenses is quite common and very rarely makes any difference to the image quality. Not so sure about the bug, but if it is small it might not be noticeable either. Don't give up hope just yet, try them and see. I've got a nearly complete set of Takumars and none of them are dust free.

On the other hand zooms of that era are not competitive with modern ones IMHO. Try the 28mm and see if you like it at least.
06-14-2013, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It's amazing how good bugs are at infiltrating impossible spaces!

I wouldn't give up just yet. You might be surprised. Take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/40521-dead-lens-club.html
06-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link scratchpaddy, some of those shots were amazing given the state of the lens. Maybe I will give them a go after all as there's nothing to lose right!

I'm going to have to look at all the bookmarks I've saved covering the use of M42 lenses on a DSLR to make sure I get everything set up right before I commit though.

06-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
A bit of dust will decrease light transmission and reduce contrast due to light bouncing off the dust, but probably nowhere near as much as you might think, especially as you go closer to the front element, . If you have a M42 to K adapter, I recommend giving the lens a try.