Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #1

50mm Lenses

Morning all,

Looking to get an AF Pentax 50mm however I'm a little torn as to which way to go. When I started out a couple of years ago my first purchase for my K-R was a M series f1.7 which I absolutely adore, the pictures it produces are far in excess of its 15 price tag. With the experience I had with the M f1.7 I thought I'd get the big brother (f1.4) however I just don't like the pictures it produces no where near as much, can't put my finger on why.

Now that I'm looking to get an AF version I'm struggling to decide whether to get either a second hand F or FA series 1.7 which is the same optical formula as the M for around 150 - 175 or whether to get a new FA 1.4 for around 300. There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions from what I've so would appreciate some comments on this before I decide to pick one of them!

PS Heavily leaning towards the 1.7 at the moment...

06-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA 50/1.7 is an excellent lens. I'm sure the F is about the same, but the FA has a few advantages over the F, though that is mainly with higher end cameras than the K-r.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/174806-super-mu...0mm-1-7-a.html
06-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm sure the F is about the same, but the FA has a few advantages over the F, though that is mainly with higher end cameras than the K-r.
Out of curiosity, what are these advantages?
06-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Out of curiosity, what are these advantages?
The primary being the ability to set the Program Line using MTF. That was something added to the FA lenses that the F lenses don't have. But that is a feature of the higher end DSLRs. The K-r doesn't have that feature.

06-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
For me it was a looks thing for the F over the FA series, just a personal thing if I'm honest. That and the fact the FA 1.7's seem to be a bit harder to find?

However, was just looking to see if anyone had a comparison between the 1.7 and 1.4 from either the F or FA series?
06-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have A50/1.7,1.4 and the FA50/1.4.

While the 50/1.7 is good for what it is, its also given such a reputation because it used to be cheap.

I prefer either of my 50/1.4 over the 1.7.
Slightly better DOF control and light gathering, certainly better OOF rendering.
The FA50/1.4 also benefits from AF.
The 1.7 sometimes does have a hexagon shape to oof highlights that can become a distraction.

I've never found the 50/1.4 to be too far away in sharpness than the 1.7 too.
It might be that the AF was not accurate enough at f1.4 rather than actual sharpness of the lens.
A deep hood helps with contrast too.
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeG Quote
I just don't like the pictures it produces no where near as much, can't put my finger on why.
That's the dilemma with these lenses. There are some quantifiable differences between them, but they don't really describe what makes you like on more than the other.

I only have the FA 50 f/1.4. It was the second prime I ever got, and its rendering holds a special place in my heart. There's something amazing about it that my other lenses just can't touch. I just got the A 50 f/1.2, but it still hasn't de-throned the FA as the rendering king. Maybe things will change when I get used to the faster glass?

Take a look at this gallery. All the pictures except the last one were taken with the FA 50 f/1.4 on my K-r, some of them wide-open. You can look at the exif on each picture, and they're all viewable at full size. Maybe someone else has a collection of 1.7 pictures? The comparison wouldn't be scientific, but this isn't really a scientific question. It's about which lens takes pictures that go straight to your heart, right?

North Bend walkaround
06-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have A50/1.7,1.4 and the FA50/1.4.

While the 50/1.7 is good for what it is, its also given such a reputation because it used to be cheap.

I prefer either of my 50/1.4 over the 1.7.
Slightly better DOF control and light gathering, certainly better OOF rendering.
The FA50/1.4 also benefits from AF.
The 1.7 sometimes does have a hexagon shape to oof highlights that can become a distraction.

I've never found the 50/1.4 to be too far away in sharpness than the 1.7 too.
It might be that the AF was not accurate enough at f1.4 rather than actual sharpness of the lens.
A deep hood helps with contrast too.
pinholecam - I know what you mean about the OOF and the hexagonal shape although it doesn't show up that often for me in a way I don't appreciate. I use a hood with both the 1.4 and 1.7 M series lenses I have and do notice an appreciable difference.

scratchpaddy - Last sentence pretty much sums it up, the pictures produced just seem to have a bit more 'pop' or something, hard to explain if I'm honest. Nice walkaround pics by the way!

Need to find somewhere that has both in stock at the same time to do a back to back comparison and have a look over I think, however unrealistic that situation is going to be to find! I know comparing the M series 1.4 and 1.7 isn't a completely accurate comparison, the 1.7 glass formula is the same all the way from M to FA but the 1.4 has had a few changes so in all likelihood there will be differences between the M and the FA. There's actually not much difference between them on price so I've found and I doubt I would notice the extra aperture, it's more a rendering and sharpness question throughout the rest of the aperture range I think which is why I'm attempting to find some comparisons on the web, not found anything meaningful as yet though...

06-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeG Quote
pinholecam - I know what you mean about the OOF and the hexagonal shape although it doesn't show up that often for me in a way I don't appreciate. I use a hood with both the 1.4 and 1.7 M series lenses I have and do notice an appreciable difference.
I have the three M50s f1.4, f1.7 and f2 (the metal version, not the plastic one). There is a difference of sharpness at large apertures, the f1.4 and f1.7 being sharper than the f2 at f2 but are equal at f4 (they become all very sharp). There is a difference in bokeh quality the best being the f1.4. The colors are exactly the same. They do not have the same size (f2 smaller than f1.7 which is smaller than the f1.4).

I had the f1.4, and I heard so much noise about the f1.7, so I spent time and money to get one, made a lot of tests and I see nothing more special about it.
06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not check out the DA 50mm f1.8? I have both the M50 1.7 and the A50 1.7--and they not only take lovely pics but are also wonderful pieces of equipment--but the DA 50 f1.8 really is outstanding. The autofocus (using a K-30) is better than I can do w/ the manuals. The bokeh is actually better, I think.