Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stuck between loyalty and reality?

Just this weekend I almost bought a DA 17 -70mm f4 for a fair price. Turns out it was sold and the new owner took it back in 10 minutes.... It had the start of SDM failure and the original owner was not even aware of it.
Is it me, or being paranoid about any pentax with SDM not justified?
I already have the DA *50-135mm f2.8 having the same problem....am I alone in thinking I can only trust sigma hsm?
I love the pentax line but am wondering if there will be a day I can buy one and be able to sleep at night
Am I alone?
Just need to know I am still partially sane

Any comments welcomed

Thanks

Randy

Last edited by slip; 06-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.
06-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there even a Pentax DA 17-70/2.8? I think there is a Sigma 17-70/2.8, but isn't the Pentax 17-70 an f/4?

In either event, I'm not sure i have heard of problems with that lens, and I sure wouldn't know how to recognize "early signs of SDM problems" -- care to share?
06-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Am I alone?
Just need to know I am still partially sane
You're probably not alone, but I can't assess the sanity part without a questionnaire and functional MRI brain scan!

As far as SDM reliability for your DA*50-135, read this thread for a "peace of mind" backup plan. The DA*16-50 I converted to screwdrive worked flawlessly! (Note that the 17-70/4 is an SDM-only lens, so there is no "backup plan" for it.)
06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Is there even a Pentax DA 17-70/2.8? I think there is a Sigma 17-70/2.8, but isn't the Pentax 17-70 an f/4?

In either event, I'm not sure i have heard of problems with that lens, and I sure wouldn't know how to recognize "early signs of SDM problems" -- care to share?

Thanks for pointing that out
F4 not 2.8

06-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You're probably not alone, but I can't assess the sanity part without a questionnaire and functional MRI brain scan!

As far as SDM reliability for your DA*50-135, read this thread for a "peace of mind" backup plan. The DA*16-50 I converted to screwdrive worked flawlessly! (Note that the 17-70/4 is an SDM-only lens, so there is no "backup plan" for it.)
Sanity is a legal question and status, mental illness another matter. As for SDM, its garbage - period, but Pentax will not acknowledge that fact. DC on the 18-135 does not have the same problems nor do Sigma silent motor systems.
06-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are reporters even on this forum that have shown even Sigma's HSM lenses to have failed. It seems the AF technology is still being tweaked.
06-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I decided against the 16-50 f2.8 years back because of the seemingly frequent reports of SDM failure. I came across an article or thread somewhere in the forum that supposedly SDM lenses manufactured from 2012 and up, 16-50 in particular will have an improved and much reliable SDM (motor) – “Supposedly”. For 17-70 range, I believe Sigma made three or four flavors of this lens with the latest being the recently available “Contemporary” version.

06-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Turns out it was sold and the new owner took it back in 10 minutes.... It had the start of SDM failure and the original owner was not even aware of it.
Which is what, exactly?

SDM paranoia could mean there are actually some real bargains out there.
06-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Which is what, exactly?

SDM paranoia could mean there are actually some real bargains out there.
Does not start right away, slow to lock focus in even the best light, hunts even after you just locked focus, I am sure there are more

Thanks

Randy
06-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are reporters even on this forum that have shown even Sigma's HSM lenses to have failed. It seems the AF technology is still being tweaked.
I realize that there will be failure rates, but pentax openly admitted on one of their interviews that it is a bad design...to me there is a huge difference. First one is quality control, in pentax case it is a engineering mistake

Thanks

Randy
06-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I thought that SDM has been improved? So with SDM, buy new lenses that were assembled recently, get extra warranty. Also, some SDM lenses tend to fail less than others. I think the * 55mm was reported as reliable? But yes, its definitely not a good thing for Pentax that SDM failure hangs overs its users. A lot of people avoid SDM lenses.
06-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I thought that SDM has been improved? So with SDM, buy new lenses that were assembled recently, get extra warranty. Also, some SDM lenses tend to fail less than others. I think the * 55mm was reported as reliable? But yes, its definitely not a good thing for Pentax that SDM failure hangs overs its users. A lot of people avoid SDM lenses.
Perhaps they get extra warranty coverage elsewhere but in the US & Canada the SDMs get the same warranty as other lenses.
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well to be honest it's not just pentax.

general speaking in lens motor work fine a slower lenses and prime lenses.
The f/2.8 zooms with basically every company have some problems...

So indeed the DA*55, DA*200 and DA*300 works fine.
06-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The DA*16-50 I converted to screwdrive worked flawlessly!
You should know your DA16-50 is now in Argentina (I bought it from icywindow). Works great and no SDM possible failure is important because there is no way of fixing it locally. You don´t have a DA50-135 or DA60-250 you´ve converted and willing to sell?
06-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So indeed the ... DA*300 works fine.
Fingers crossed, touch-wood etc.
That's the only SDM lens I have. Been working flawlessly for about a year now.