03-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well the tech staff of my local Pentax agent
enough said

03-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

My own shots have proven that this lens is capable of very good images.
read my lips:

1) that manufacturing defect does not affect your images until it will happen, so
your picture(s) prove(s) nothing... zero.

2) you can't prevent it (separation of "molded/glued" layers in glass) from happening, it is happening suddenly even if your lens are sitting w/o being used,

3) PDML is a well known source, people who reported issues are trustworthy.
03-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
deejjjaaaa, I do not need to doubt the services or opinion of the local Pentax agent where I come from simply because they have been exemplary in providing service to local Pentax users where I'm at, often at little or no cost. So I see no reason to distrust what they have told me about the FA 28-70 f/4.

Regrettably you can't even prove your negative assertions firsthand but have merely re-hashed some comments posted on the internet, which we all know can vary a lot in accuracy and veracity.

Lenses are made in batches and no two are quite alike. Perhaps there were a few instances where the lenses were faulty, but it is another thing to generalize that it has in your words, a well known manufacturing defect.
03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I used to own this lens and loved it. I only sold it after I bought the Tamron for low light capability. There are times I wish I have kept the lens.

deejjjaaaa, no one is denying that some copies of this lens has got element separation issues. However personally I won't make a sweeping statement about all copies will have this problem, because as you can see, there are plenty of good copies around. Will they develop the problem in the future? No one can say for sure. For me, all lenses die (or develop issues) sooner or later either due to age or other causes (eg moisture). As long as the lens is doing what it supposed to do, I go out and take photos and enjoy myself =)

cheers
Kenny

03-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
I used to own this lens and loved it. I only sold it after I bought the Tamron for low light capability. There are times I wish I have kept the lens.

deejjjaaaa, no one is denying that some copies of this lens has got element separation issues. However personally I won't make a sweeping statement about all copies will have this problem, because as you can see, there are plenty of good copies around. Will they develop the problem in the future? No one can say for sure. For me, all lenses die (or develop issues) sooner or later either due to age or other causes (eg moisture). As long as the lens is doing what it supposed to do, I go out and take photos and enjoy myself =)

cheers
Kenny
that is exactly why I wrote in my first post - it is a LOTTERY... and manufacturing defect of this kind is not the same as the age/abuse/lack of maintenance... KEH is selling them (their rating = EX/EX+) for $109-115 + shipping
that is a good indication that a fair value of the lens is close to $50-60 + shipping...
03-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

So I see no reason to distrust
and I see no reason to trust... did Pentax ever publicly acknowledged that problem ?