Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Dreaming down the '08 lens roadmap (since thats all I can do)

Since it'll be a while before many of us will have the opportunity to actually make use of many of the lenses down this years fruitful roadmap, I thought maybe just talking about how we might already be seeing them fit into our bags might take away some of the pain of waiting. My plan:

Once the 300 is finally out, I'd like to get that, maybe replace my 400mm Sigma A chipped 5.6 (gotta make room in the bag and I leave nothing sitting home!). I recently accomplished a BIG task and succesfully got my old K10 into my fiances hands. When she bought a JillE bag of her own accord for it, I knew I might one day share LBA - hence this dream might actually turn to reality.

Back to which - after the 300, and since we'll have two bags where we go, I'll add the 60-250 to hers (assuming its been properly QC'd, *cough*DA*16-50*cough*). It looks like the 35 ltd should be out soon too, but heres the big choice - do I sell my 31 ltd for the 35? I lose some speed, but gain some macro. Its ok though, because I'll eventually get the 15 to do the truely wide stuff and the DA*55 to replace the speed. Though I currently have a Voigtlander 58/1.4, I was charmed by the K20 using a DA*200SDM recently in a shop. So quiet, smooth and fast. The 55 has a lot going for it, not the least of which is weather-sealing - I may have to consider having it replace the 58 in my bag. Only time and a shoot-off will tell, but if the 55 is close - it'll win. Lots of outdoor stuff on the slate for this year!

Its going to be a long, great summer and it isn't coming fast enough!

03-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Would never sell my 31 for a 35 macro. This from a person who carries two macros in the bag. Carry an extension tube and turn the 31 into a "macro". Or buy a 100 macro as an addition. 35 macro isn't very useful for most macro shots.
thanks
barondla
03-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with Barondla, and I dont even own the 31mm, I would never trade in a living legend, unless somehow the new kid on the block really is all that. I am falling in love with the DA* line, and the 55mm is on my wanted list from the future lineup.
03-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I agree with Barondla, and I dont even own the 31mm
What they both said.

I decided on buying the 43 ltd instead of the 31, mostly on the basis of price. I wouldn't trade it for a macro. For that I'd use a 100mm (and will, as soon as it arrives in the post!).

Actually, I'm not really sure why a 35mm macro is on the Pentax map. With a superlative 31mm and an excellent and inexpensive 40mm, that focal length seems covered.

I'm far more interested in the 15mm though if it's going to be no faster than f/3.5 I doubt it'd replace the 16-45mm I already use.

03-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the way you think pirate. Of that the 60-250 wil be a great 'travel/walk-around' with the K20D's high ISO quality to make up for its f/4 speed, and hoping the 55 is super fast in speed as it already is in optics. ...I need more pentax glass in my kit/bag, and HSM + weather-sealing makes it all that much better.
03-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How much is the 60-250 going to weigh? I find the 50-135 too big and heavy as a "walk around" lens. It is great glass, but I find my right palm gets a little sore/tired if I hold that setup one-handed for long stretches.
03-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If the IQ was good enough, then I'd consider replacing my F70-210 and Quantaray 70-300 LDO with the 55-300. It may be a little pricy, but if I could have the best of both lenses that I already have in 1 lens, then that's 1 less lens for me to keep up with.

As for the new 35 and 55, their lengths are awfully close to the 43 that I already have. If I was going to get another prime anytime soon, it would be either something in the 21-28 range or the DA 70.

Heather
(who probably needs another lens like she needs a hole in the head)
03-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Would never sell my 31 for a 35 macro. This from a person who carries two macros in the bag. Carry an extension tube and turn the 31 into a "macro". Or buy a 100 macro as an addition. 35 macro isn't very useful for most macro shots.
thanks
barondla
Well, I should add more info - I have the Voigtlander SL 125mm macro, which I love. I rather thought that a 35mm macro would double as a thing to shoot architecture with outside (it was VERY sharp judging by Ben K's preview photos with it) and wider angle, close focus shots of products or non-moving items. The 31 does both for me now, but I think (speed aside) that the 35 might be more useful to me, especially since I mostly use my 58 Nokton for all special shooting in the 1.x aperture range. I'll pick-up the 35 and use all my lenses and time will shake something loose. I suspect the 31 simply because it is worth so much second hand, it'll 'grease the wheels' of my plans. But we'll see!

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I agree with Barondla, and I dont even own the 31mm, I would never trade in a living legend, unless somehow the new kid on the block really is all that. I am falling in love with the DA* line, and the 55mm is on my wanted list from the future lineup.
It won't go without a fight. The 35 will have to win the spot in my bag, or it might just be quickly out of a job for me if the 31s legend is justified in head to head battle.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
What they both said.

I decided on buying the 43 ltd instead of the 31, mostly on the basis of price. I wouldn't trade it for a macro. For that I'd use a 100mm (and will, as soon as it arrives in the post!).

Actually, I'm not really sure why a 35mm macro is on the Pentax map. With a superlative 31mm and an excellent and inexpensive 40mm, that focal length seems covered.

I'm far more interested in the 15mm though if it's going to be no faster than f/3.5 I doubt it'd replace the 16-45mm I already use.
Yeah, I agree with the log jam in the focal range. Add to that the 30mm SDM also being released in that range and it really starts to get murky there. I have a gut feeling that since the FAs are officially no longer on the map, the 31 will be living on as the 30 SDM. I would bet that the designs are at least optically similar.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I like the way you think pirate. Of that the 60-250 wil be a great 'travel/walk-around' with the K20D's high ISO quality to make up for its f/4 speed, and hoping the 55 is super fast in speed as it already is in optics. ...I need more pentax glass in my kit/bag, and HSM + weather-sealing makes it all that much better.
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
How much is the 60-250 going to weigh? I find the 50-135 too big and heavy as a "walk around" lens. It is great glass, but I find my right palm gets a little sore/tired if I hold that setup one-handed for long stretches.
I've hefted the 50-135 and thought it reasonable, weight wise. I guess each of us will have our own threshold to tolerate such things. Granted, if I were just on a pleasure walk with my camera I would still probably do so with a smaller prime since I don't need particularly to walk with the big glass, but if I'm shooting with the benefits of the larger lens in mind, I quickly forget its size and am focused on shots. I spent 3 hours shooting an airsoft game with a 400mm Takumar, handheld and got totally absorbed in the action, oblivious of the awkwardness of the length of it after a while. I think the 60-250 will fall under that beast, hehe.

I shot a game this weekend and - as a prime lens appreciator - let me tell you in wet, falling snow, shooting dynamic action, I would have *loved* to have had a weather-sealed big zoom to use. I was switching between 31, 125 and 180 primes so much and covering the lens with my hand so it wouldn't get wet. The body was literally white with snow. She pulled through with flying colors I might add and I was lucky to avoid fog in the glass later. +1 for Pentax weather-sealing.

ps - click on my signature pic below to see the afforementioned snowy airsoft pics.

03-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i wanna get the f4 lineup, and then i'll be happy..

until i can afford a 2.8 lineup...

and that's until i can afford....