Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have a Pentax F50 f1.7 that I have a metal screw mount lens hood that fits it perfectly.

Discussion I would like to see is the pros and cons of using a hood for this kind of lens. Does it 'really' help anything? Or is it just taking up space?
in general terms, regardless of the quality of the lens and coatings a properly selected hood can result in increased contrast, as it limits the stray light outside the field of view from entering the lens where it must be absorbed internally in the lens baffles and / or by reflecting off the individual element surfaces. It also allows you to shoot closer to the sun without noticeable flare.

any hood can help in this respect, but the longer the hood (to the limit where it is visible in the frame) the better,

the problem is that the lens hood for the 50mm lens is based upon the field of view for film, and not necessarily at maximum length even then.

you should consider a longer hood for maximum benefit

06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If there is ANY downside to a lens hood, it lies in the space it takes to store it and the time it takes to mount or unmount it.

Newer lenses come with a coarse screw on the outer edge of the lens barrel for quick mounting and unmounting - the so-called bayonet mount. In most cases, the hood will mount in both forward or reverse positions to tackle the storage issue. The Matin line of replacement hoods comes with two parts. One part screws into the filter thread and creates a bayonet mount. The other part is the hood which now operates much like the dedicated bayonet hoods.

The downside is a Matin hood is sized by filter size and not by the lens' focal length. While any hood is better than no hood, as Lowell Goudge points out, the Matin hood may not be the optimal in terms of length.
06-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Here is another pro vote for hood!
06-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Hood or No Hood?
Always even when I don't need too, just because I can.

06-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hood with every lens. Protects the front element, helps with flare and with some lenses improves contrast.
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If it's a grab shot with my Tamron 17-50/2.8,
I'll shoot with the hood mounted in the reverse position.
The focus ring spins inside the hood, without catching on it.
However much a hood does for the IQ,
it won't bring back an opportunity that you've missed!

With most zoom lenses, the hood is only good for the wide end anyway.
An elegant exception was the old Canon 24-70/2.8 L,
which extended as it was zoomed to the wide end,
in such a way that the attached hood always matched the angle of view.
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I always use a hood. It only takes a small amount of space and negligible weight. A cheap folding rubber hood can be used if the original hood is too large to carry on a regular basis.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
With most zoom lenses, the hood is only good for the wide end anyway.
That might mislead an inexperience reader. Hoods are sized for the wide end to avoid vignetting, but they are still good (compared to an unhooded lens) at longer focal lengths even if not the perfect size.
06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
A cheap folding rubber hood can be used if the original hood is too large to carry on a regular basis.
They're the best anyway,
since they're easily flipped out from the storage position when you need them.
Also, they can be bent to block light that a rigid hood would let pass.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That might mislead an inexperience reader. Hoods are sized for the wide end to avoid vignetting, but they are still good (compared to an unhooded lens) at longer focal lengths even if not the perfect size.
Well, the DA 18-135 narrows 55 degrees of view
going from the wide to the long end.
That's a lot of uncovered angle.

06-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Always even when I don't need too, just because I can.
Also, using a hood makes "it" look bigger, and as we know, bigger is better....right?