Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Would you buy a used lens online without lens caps?

Just what the subject line says... would you or would you not? Consider that the lens is $20 to $50.

I asked a seller on eBay about a manual zoom if it came with lens caps and if the lenses had any cleaning swirls, coating cracks, etc. The response was a one paragraph lecture that if I'm going to look at a lens surface with a microscope then I should just pass on his auction! Yikes! I was kind of expecting simple yes/no answers.

06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't buy from a seller with attitude.
06-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Agreed.

However, I would buy a lens without caps provided it was in good shape. Replacement caps are easy enough to come by (eBay).
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens caps don't bother me, they are not always still with the lens. If the seller has good pictures and can answer that the lens is in good shape I'll trust them. I have had a couple bad experiences, but mostly no problems.

In this case I'll second the above, walk away from anyone with that kind of attitude. IMHO they just told you the lens was not good enough to stand close inspection. Being a bit of a smart.... I would probably just reply with "thank you for your detailed explanation, I will pass".

06-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 I wouldn't buy from them for that reason.

I would totally buy a lens without lens caps as long as a decent shot of the element and right of return.
In fact if there is a bunch of lenses with no lens caps it is often a hint of someone who doesn't know their lenses (eg inherited) so may be worth taking a punt on for some bargins.
06-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Without caps, I don't see a problem so long as the condition is good and pictures are provided. Where I see problems is with hostile sellers. Basically, as jatrax said, he just told you that the lens is not good enough and to go away. That's what I'd do.
06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes I would/ have, but as the others have said I wouldn't buy anything from that seller.
06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses! I felt uncomfortable buying from this seller too. To his credit, he did say it a tad nicer than I paraphrased it but the message was still pretty clear. Basically, go away!

I won't count missing lens caps as a minus against other sellers who may have a kinder approach to their potential buyers.

06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes I will, and have.
This Pentax A 50/1.7 was described as being in great condition by the eBay seller.
No caps, but did have a UV filter.
Cost with shipping was $30.
It is in new condition.

06-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Seems like most used lenses are missing caps, even from KEH, etc. I buy them all the time without caps. But yeah, if the seller is a giving you red flags, avoid...
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I buy them all the time without caps. Just make sure to ask the seller to put a little protection over both front and back elements during the shipping. Something like a piece of cardboard would do the job.
06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would buy without lens caps but not from that seller. If there's no problem with the lens he should be forthcoming about it. If there's a problem then you're unlikely to get good communication and a satisfying resolution from him, apparently.
06-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Ditto. I bought a K-1000 with a Pentax A 50mm f/1.7. No lens cap but with a 1A skylight filter from Goodwill. The listing said the filter was stuck but when I received it the filter came right off without any persuasion needed. The filter was dinged and filmed over with dust and what have you. The front element was pristine - not a speck of dust, filming or even evidence that it had ever been cleaned - it didn't need it. The filter was probably put on when first bought and never removed. The aperture ring is a bit rough turning (to be expected) but the focus movement is smooth and well damped.
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter

What he said. I usually subject the seller to a list of questions regarding condition. If they waffle or respond with annoyance or don't respond at all, I pass on the auction. I do this regardless of reputation.

As for buying lenses without caps...Yes, I have done it, though usually by accident when purchasing from KEH. Their general policy is that caps cost extra.

Steve
06-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

Lens caps wouldn't bother me, after all they don't take the picture.

But the sellers attitude does bother me.

I'd think I would agree with him and pass on that purchase, there is no need for that attitude to a perfectly reasonable question, stay lucky and good luck with you lens buying, LBA rules.