Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Kit lense or other?

Looking to pick up my first DSLR and am planning on the K100D Super. There are a few
local shops that still have some, both body only and with kit lense. Price difference is about
$90.00 or so. I'm new to photography, but want to start out with a decent lense, I've read some reviews on the kit lense which were mostly gooD ratings. I don't mind spending a little extra for a good lense that I can use.

I mainly want to shoot auto photgraphy (stationary) and also plan on using it for my trip later this year to Hong Kong and the Phillipines. I was wondering if the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens would do well in this?

Thanks for any input

03-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're new to dslr and are used to using a P&S with zoom, then just get the kit lens and shoot away. After you figure out what you like and what sort of focal lengths work for you, then buy other lenses.

The 50mm will be an ok "everyday" lens but if you're used to being able to zoom you might get frustrated. The advantage to that lens is that it is fast (ie you can use it in low light with better results) but your field of view is...your field of view. If you want to change the composition you need to walk. I think that is a great exercise (pun intended), but often not the most convenient on vacation.

Speaking of Hong Kong, here are some shots from my recent trip to HK if you're interested. Most were taken with a Leica D-Lux 3 which has an effective 28-100mm zoom. The kit lens has an effective 27-83mm zoom. The 50mm is a 75mm effective view. A few of the shots are K10d with 100mm macro.

hk08 - Page 1
03-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By auto photography, do you mean stationary cars, or do you mean shooting in Auto mode?
If shooting stationary objects like cars, the kit lens doesn't do too badly - certainly the best value kit lense around. The DA 16-45 is better, but costs around $300. Considering this, the kit lens is pretty good, and sits nicely on the K100D - compact and lightweight.

The FA 50/1.4 is another gem - best value for a very sharp 'normal' lens that becomes a stunning portrait lens on a dSLR. Definitely worth getting - but you'll still need something to cover the wide angle range...
03-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Sorry, auto as in automobile. And thanks for the input guys. I don't leave till mid November, so I should have engugh time to get a few more lenses, especially from my tax return. What are some other good budget lenses that I can get to help cover more ground?

03-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I found the FA50 f/1.4 is good in someways for static car shows ... but the main problem it has is that it is not wide-enough ... especially if there is little room between vehicles (where you can't backup that far to get the full vehicle in). It is good if you want to really control DOF is some shots (highlighting certain parts of a vehicle close up).

The kit lens is good if you have ample light ... when it comes to low light though ... it can suffer.

For something along the lines of car shows ... I'd suggest the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-f/4 ... it's wide enough for those tighter spots ... and is long enough if you after a longer shot. I wish i had one for this purpose ... as I am lacking in the wide end when it comes to a decent lens.
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

if on a budget, the Tamron SP AF 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro might meet your needs. very good reviews. i have the sigma 10-20mm and i like it a lot, but for a trip i like a little more reach. the fa 501.7 or any of the pentax 50mm lenses are good. if you are doing close work, 17-31mm range seems like your best bet and you have time to gather the cash by november.

Last edited by ivoire; 03-15-2008 at 07:54 PM.
03-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think, either take a KIT lens or, something like Tamron 28-75/2.8 or Sigma 17-70... If I were you, I wouldn't use prime lens only at the beginning of DSLR journey... You will need zoom, believe me!
03-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I second the opinion of swaping the kit lens with a Tamron 28-75/f2.8. Best lens I have apart from the DA14

03-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I found the FA50 f/1.4 is good in someways for static car shows ... but the main problem it has is that it is not wide-enough ... especially if there is little room between vehicles (where you can't backup that far to get the full vehicle in). It is good if you want to really control DOF is some shots (highlighting certain parts of a vehicle close up).

The kit lens is good if you have ample light ... when it comes to low light though ... it can suffer.

For something along the lines of car shows ... I'd suggest the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-f/4 ... it's wide enough for those tighter spots ... and is long enough if you after a longer shot. I wish i had one for this purpose ... as I am lacking in the wide end when it comes to a decent lens.
Actually not so much as a crowded car show, more like a photoshoot for a car.

took this with a p&s

I'll look into the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-f/4 and Tamron SP AF 28-75/2.8

Thanks for the input everyone