Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 77/43 Caps

Does anyone know where the black lens caps are available? Or why they cannot be found?

I have been searching high and low (but not in between) for a cap. Had the local store order one in, took 6 weeks and was silver. The Canadian supplier/importer attached a note saying he cannot order black FA caps but one could paint the silver cap.

06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if it helps, but they are regularly sold here:

http://www.yodobashi.com/ペンタックス-PENTAX-レンズキャップ-Limited(リミテッド)-49mm-ブラック/pd/100000001000134343/

Japanese mega-camera-shop, where I always spend hours whenever I visit Tokyo.

So, they do exist...and can be bought apart. And are known to be available in Japan.

Five options, therefore: (i) plan a vacation to Tokyo soon, and buy it yourself, (ii) make friends with someone in Japan and have him/her ship one to you, or (iii) if you can't afford to buy any friends, and if I remember this for next time I go east, then I'll gladly schlep one to Europe and post your way, or (iv) figure out if Yodobashi will ship to you.....or (v) keep looking
06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Does anyone know where the black lens caps are available? Or why they cannot be found?

I have been searching high and low (but not in between) for a cap. Had the local store order one in, took 6 weeks and was silver. The Canadian supplier/importer attached a note saying he cannot order black FA caps but one could paint the silver cap.
You can look at ebay. I have bought a new silver cap there some time ago. I did not look for a black one though.

Actually, I have found that basic Pentax 49mm snap-in cap is sometimes more convenient. It looks worse than the original Limited cap, but is more reliable on the lens because of the spring locks.
06-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
You can look at ebay. I have bought a new silver cap there some time ago. I did not look for a black one though.

Actually, I have found that basic Pentax 49mm snap-in cap is sometimes more convenient. It looks worse than the original Limited cap, but is more reliable on the lens because of the spring locks.
I'm not having much luck on there, seems like whenever I look there is nothing. I'm assuming everyone else is looking for one.

I have a snap in cap for the 77 right now, but with the built in hood I have found the cap off the 43 offers far more protection to the edges, preventing dings on the hood that make it more octagon than round.

06-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I have a snap in cap for the 77 right now, but with the built in hood I have found the cap off the 43 offers far more protection to the edges, preventing dings on the hood that make it more octagon than round.
True. I was thinking of 43 lim, that have the fixed hood. For 77 snap-in cap would be inconvenient.

Look at Adorama: pentax front lens cap : Buy or Learn at Adorama

They don't have the black FA43/77 cap listed (only silver), but probably one from DA21 or DA70 would fit as well.
06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know someone who might be able to get one for you. He resides in Tokyo.

Last edited by tabl10s; 06-25-2013 at 06:28 AM.
06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As soon as I got my 77 Limited, I put the fancy pouch and metal cap away for safe keeping. Instead of the metal cap, I use the standard 49mm Pentax FA center-pinch cap. If fits fine and easily clears the built-in hood.

Steve

06-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
True. I was thinking of 43 lim, that have the fixed hood. For 77 snap-in cap would be inconvenient.

Look at Adorama: pentax front lens cap : Buy or Learn at Adorama

They don't have the black FA43/77 cap listed (only silver), but probably one from DA21 or DA70 would fit as well.
Hmm, I had called Adorama a few months ago about the black FA cap, but never thought about trying the DA caps. Going to have to spin by the local store to see how the fit is.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As soon as I got my 77 Limited, I put the fancy pouch and metal cap away for safe keeping. Instead of the metal cap, I use the standard 49mm Pentax FA center-pinch cap. If fits fine and easily clears the built-in hood.
I find the pinch caps to be inadequate protection for lenses with built in hoods. My standard 49mm pinch cap offers no protection for the hood and now the lens sports a fancy dent on it that could have been prevented with the OEM cap
06-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA 21 and DA 70 caps do not fit because of the built in hood

Found out I can trade my FA 77 in for $350 ... just out of curiosity I wanted to know