Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What lenses to bring on a trip to NY & DC?

This is another one of those "what lenses to bring on a trip" threads. We will be going on a trip to NY, Philadelphia and DC to look at some colleges, so it is not a photography trip. But, we will hit some tourist sites, including a NY Yankees game, and I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to take some shots.

This is what I am choosing from:

1. DA 15
2. DA 21
3. FA 28
4. DA 40
5. FA 50
6. DA 70
7. DA 16-45
8. DA 55-300.

My plan is: 1, 2, 4 and 8.

But I am wondering whether 1 and 2 are too close. I could go with just 7 and 8, but would hate to miss out on an opportunity to shoot with 1, which is still fairly new to me. I am also not sure that 8 will get much use, other than at the baseball game.

I am pretty sure, I can only fit one of the two zooms in my bag, if I am bringing any of the primes. I am using my K20D and no tripod.

So give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

06-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lenp Quote
This is another one of those "what lenses to bring on a trip" threads. We will be going on a trip to NY, Philadelphia and DC to look at some colleges, so it is not a photography trip. But, we will hit some tourist sites, including a NY Yankees game, and I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to take some shots.

This is what I am choosing from:

1. DA 15
2. DA 21
3. FA 28
4. DA 40
5. FA 50
6. DA 70
7. DA 16-45
8. DA 55-300.

My plan is: 1, 2, 4 and 8.

But I am wondering whether 1 and 2 are too close. I could go with just 7 and 8, but would hate to miss out on an opportunity to shoot with 1, which is still fairly new to me. I am also not sure that 8 will get much use, other than at the baseball game.

I am pretty sure, I can only fit one of the two zooms in my bag, if I am bringing any of the primes. I am using my K20D and no tripod.

So give me your thoughts.

Thanks.
i would definitely do 1...then maybe 4 or 5 and then 8... that would be my choice
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
My choice would be 1, 4 and 6, got all the places covered then and just watch and enjoy the game.
06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
My choice would be 1, 4 and 6, got all the places covered then and just watch and enjoy the game.
From among those listed, that'd be my pick also, although these lenses are not particularly fast, so I'd likely want to bring some /1.8 or /1.4 lens along also - if you have one and have space?

06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
that'd be my pick also
From our various discussions, I think you and I have similar shooting styles, hence our similar or same lens choices.

Just I'm not as "modern" as you, I'm still in old fart territory.
06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My fastest is FA 50 1.4, but I am not sure if it's going to be terribly useful on the streets and during the day.

But I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. It helps to bounce this off others.

Speaking of bouncing, I could bring a flash, but not sure it will fit.
06-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

I would take a pizza lens. And a skyscraper lens. And a yellow taxi lens.

The question is, what sorts of photos do you envision?

Just being a tourist and getting a chronology of the trip?

Option A: Take the two zooms and make it easy. (Or just the 16-45 and make it really easy.)

Or do you want to capture a certain point of view? Is it... in your face New York, or is it bystander? Do you want to try and get the baseball players close up (and where are your seats then cuz you need to be close even with a longish zoom) and will they actually be interesting shots? Or would you get the hot dog vendor leaning over your lap?

(I wouldn't take 21 but I would take the 15, unless you have the 16 on the zoom.)

Here's a challenge for you: Option B: take only the 15 and the 70. (you could throw in the 40 for safety but I'd suggest not.) I took a Minolta 35 and 135 lens with a Sony a700 on a trip five years ago, and to this day, it's the best travel photography I've done. I had a bag full of lenses on our trip to Grand Canyon last summer, and just fussed way too much over lenses. Wasn't decisive.

Option C, the 16-45 and the 70 if you want more immediate flexibility.

You won't "miss" any shots. You'll get ones with the focal length you have. (and you didn't mention being on assignment, so this is your personal vision)

Just my two bits, but... if you've got fewer options, you'll get a visualized frame in your head when you look around. You'll preconceive the shots much more. This is going to be my challenge to myself this summer. And I wouldn't do too much switching. I'd commit as much as possible to one viewpoint for an afternoon or an evening.

Wouldn't that Option B be so nice and compact and groovy? Two tiny, limited primes? Look out, New York.

Last edited by Mr_Canuck; 06-20-2013 at 02:38 PM.
06-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'd take the 4 DA Ltds. 1 and 2 are not too close. The 55-300 is nice but around town you may not use it enough. If you get some double end-caps (or epoxy 2 together), you can put 2 lenses end-to-end and they are very compact and don't bang around on each other in the bag.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mr. Canuck, thanks for great suggestions. I would love to do the "exercises" you propose, but with 3 teenagers in tow that's not likely. (Will not happen.)

Special K, I am with you. I already got one Optech double cap for the 15 and 21, the 40 can fit anywhere, and that leaves DA 70 or the long zoom. I am leaning toward zoom's versatility and reach.

If this sounds like I am trying to justify my decision, I apologize. and thanks for all the suggestions.
06-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by lenp Quote
Mr. Canuck, thanks for great suggestions. I would love to do the "exercises" you propose, but with 3 teenagers in tow that's not likely. (Will not happen.)

Special K, I am with you. I already got one Optech double cap for the 15 and 21, the 40 can fit anywhere, and that leaves DA 70 or the long zoom. I am leaning toward zoom's versatility and reach.

If this sounds like I am trying to justify my decision, I apologize. and thanks for all the suggestions.
You only need to justify it to yourself. Hope you have a really great, safe, memorable trip, and that you get some photos you feel very satisfied with.
06-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You have two good zooms, and you said the point of the trip is not photography. The 16-45mm is only a small step behind the three DA Limiteds in the same range. It's sharp from f4, and covers extra wide to portrait length. You're going to a baseball game, where the long tele will be ideal.

It sounds to me like the 16-45 and 55-300 are the obvious choices. Zooms are not as glamorous as primes, but the IQ is solid and convenience is a factor, especially since you're traveling with non-photographers. Add your favourite prime for interior/low light shooting and you're done. Or do the double cap thing and squeeze in a couple of small primes.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.
06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter

I suggest the 15 and 28mm. Leave the 28mm on the camera for street shooting/peope, and the 15 in your pocket for interesting buildings/strong near-far perspective. Leave everything else, as it hardly works in the city, and have a good time.
06-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the 2 zooms, as much as I like the DA 15mm I don't think you'll lose that much with the 16-45. And maybe the 40mm as it is so small and you'll gain 1 stop in case you need to shoot in lower-light or simply enjoy its compactness.
06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

I am travelling in NY now. I took a 24, a 35, and a 35-105 zoom.
The 35-105 never left the bag yet; I am constantly switching between the 24 and the 35, and wishing I had a 15.
24 is too wide for street, too narrow for any kind of scapes. 35 is perfect for street.

Knowing this, if I had a 16-45, I would take that, and a fast 50. If you think you would need the 300 for the game, just rent one for the day, and use the space for some extra t-shirts and stuff, it is hot and humid here.
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #15

When I went to New York and DC, I took 18-55, 70-300 and 10-17.

The 18-55 stayed on my camera for 90% of the whole time.

The 10-17 I got some fantastic shots of Times Square, Central Park and some of the museums in DC.

The 70-300 I have a couple of shots of the Statue of Liberty at about 70mm and that's all I really used it for.

In terms of the baseball game, just sit back and relax and enjoy the game. I spent too much time trying to take photos at 49'ers game and didn't get a chance to enjoy it as much. Get some awesome wide angle shots of the place though!!

I'd take the 15mm, the 16-45 and the 55-300.

With K-r and the kit 18-55mm.

The 16-45 and 15 will more than get you the shots you want.