Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I was somewhat surprised myself of the IQ of the kit lens.
In good light and avoiding the extremes of its range, the 18-55 kit is quite competent. Quite a few of my favorite photos have been taken with my version 1 18-55.

Flickr Search: 18-55

Steve

06-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I was somewhat surprised myself of the IQ of the kit lens. However the FA 43 pic currently resides as my desktop picture on the 27" Imac.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In good light and avoiding the extremes of its range, the 18-55 kit is quite competent. Quite a few of my favorite photos have been taken with my version 1 18-55.
I enjoy these sorts of comparisons because I don't have that many lenses to play with, and many are m42, so I don't like to swap out with K mount when shooting - too much hassle (not that I'm shooting much these days).
I didn't dig into the photos before looking at the guesses, but it was pretty clear to me that B was the kit lens. While I find the lens useful, and it is the only one I have that gets me below 28mm, I often find that I feel the colors are flat and that is what tipped me off here.
06-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I often find that I feel the colors are flat and that is what tipped me off here
Oh, I see what you mean. I hadn't noticed that before but now that makes sense. I guess the old adage is true. You get get what you pay for
06-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Given that the images were made with inconsistent framing, at different focal lengths and different apertures, with unstated parameters such as whether a tripod was used, the point of the comparison escapes me.

According to the EXIF data, A was made with the 43 at f/2.8 1/2000. B was at 42.5mm, which would be the kit lens, f/8 1/250. C would have to be the 50-135 at 95mm, f/5.6, 1/500.

Under the circumstances any comparative comments about bokeh are meaningless.

I did not cheat and look at the EXIF.

While the framing is inconsistent, the main subject is more or less the same size in each photo. Therefore, the relative size of the background objects can give you a clue about focal length. You can tell that one of the shots is at significantly longer FL than the other two. Since we know the 3 candidates don't overlap by any significant amount, and we know the difference in FL between the photos is large, it is simple logic to conclude that the only choice for the long FL shot is the 50-135. We can also tell that the other two shots are close to the same FL, again based on the relative sizes of background objects. Therefore, we know that the kit lens shot is near 43mm, and therefore has an aperture above 4.5. Of the other two, the aperture value of picture A is obviously larger than B, and also obviously larger than F4.5. We can therefore conclude that A is the 43 Ltd, leaving B as the kit lens.

It really was very easy to figure out.

06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
It really was very easy to figure out.
Food for thought...... based upon the IQ of each of the photo's would you in fact pay $650 dollars (retail) more for the FA 43 or $1,300 more for the DA* 50-135 over the kit lens to achieve that kind of IQ?

I would. I actually purchased the FA 43 brand spanking new for $584 (before the price increase )and paid $620 for a used DA *50-135, so there are alternate ways of buying the lens you want and remain within a budget.