Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some DA* 50-135 Love

I'm sure that there are countless threads where I've touted the benefits of shooting with primes, but I'm slowly starting to come around to the joys of shooting with the DA* 50-135. I'm living in New York City and almost always have my 18-month-old daughter in tow (either in a stroller or in a carrier). I've learned that it's easier to throw my K30 with the DA* 50-135 attached into the diaper bag than it is to deal with a diaper bag and a camera bag filled with various primes (I'd love to find a diaper bag-camera bag combo!). It doesn't exactly replace my workhorse, the D-FA 100mm macro, but since I don't often shoot at 1:1, it can sometimes come close enough. And while I love shooting portraiture with the FA 77, I would have missed one of my favorite shots of the winter without a weatherproof lens. It's sharp enough wide-open that if I forget to change my settings because someone is trying to shove goldfish down my shirt, then I still get a serviceable shot at f/2.8. And then, you know, IT ZOOMS. So I don't have to stand in the middle of traffic while carrying my toddler to frame the shot I want.

Some examples:

Oakleaf Hydrangea

A building on Park Avenue

Lamplight

Father and Daughter

All images post-processed in Lightroom.

06-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots, Keitha and good to see you posting here again. I, too, love the 50-135. Nice and sharp at f2.8 and really sharp at f4. Beautfiul colors and comfortable size.

My wife rented a Sigma 70-200 for a wedding awhile back and while it was sharp, it was way too heavy to consider as a "walk-around" lens.
06-21-2013, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'm a believer too. What a fun lens to use.

06-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shots Keitha,

Good to see you posting again. I remember a few years ago whenever I saw an image I liked it seemed to be one of yours.

I imagine you could get good results with a coke bottle but you really make that zoom sing.

Tom G

06-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Closed Account

Oddly enough, I've grown to enjoy this lens for shooting landscapes. The whole wide-angle thing (especially extreme) has become too cliche for me and so the 50-135 allows me to capture cropped snippets of a landscape that can tell more of a story about it to me than often a wide-angle shot can. Thanks for re-inspiring me with this story!
06-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Oddly enough, I've grown to enjoy this lens for shooting landscapes
I know what you mean. I'm finding I really like the longer focal length. I was holding out for a DA 21 for wider shots, but I prefer cropped snippets as well.
06-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lot to love with the DA*50-135. I love the range of lengths with it and while primes are nice, this one delivers.

However, I shudder to think about possible mistakes I could make with a combined diaper/camera bag...

06-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Rondec: Thanks! I always liked this lens but never considered it to be the ONE I'd grab, mostly because of its size, but it's definitely manageable, especially without the hood. I've never seen the Sigma, but I think the DA* 50-135 is the max I'd like to carry on a regular basis.

@Driline: What a beautiful lily! I also tried my hand at this flower yesterday, but you had considerably more success

@Tom G: It's nice to know I'm remembered! I'm finally finding the time to get out again and put my lenses to work. The K30 is partly responsible too

@Dave: I'll be the first to admit that I've been a little overwhelmed with subject matter in New York. I almost always take my 12-24 with me when I go out, but more and more I'm enjoying those tighter shots myself. I'm still going to take the 12-24 though, just in case!

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
There is a lot to love with the DA*50-135. I love the range of lengths with it and while primes are nice, this one delivers.

However, I shudder to think about possible mistakes I could make with a combined diaper/camera bag...
Ha! I like to think that the diapers provide free cushioning. Now if only the diaper wipes could double as lens wipes
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
RpM
Forum Member

Hi Keitha,

Those are amazing shots I have also seen and admired on Flickr as well. Yeah NYC can be a little bit of a pain when it comes to carrying things around, I still haven't mastered it yet and its been 6 years (and thats without a child). I've actually been on the fence about that lens. I have the 77 but find I've used it all of two times. Its definitely a beautiful lens, but I don't have a weatherproof lens and have really been wanting one as of late. How do you find the two compare? I know the 77 is faster, just curious if you would find you would miss the 77 if you only had the 50-135??. I've been considering selling the 77 to fund the 50-135. It's nice to get actual user feedback rather than just google pictures with the two. Thanks!

Rick
06-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots.

The Pentax 50-135 is my favorite lens and when used without a hood is relatively small.
06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

I also really love my 50-135. It's amazing (on my K7).
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great thread. The DA* 50-135 is, to me, one of the best DA lenses, and possibly one of the best Pentax zooms PERIOD.

Exquisite sharpness wide open at all focal lengths in a very reasonably sized (weather sealed!) package. No one else makes anything like it.

I recently went hiking with it. That outrageously long hood was so great at keeping my front element clear of dew and rain drops.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Oddly enough, I've grown to enjoy this lens for shooting landscapes. The whole wide-angle thing (especially extreme) has become too cliche for me and so the 50-135 allows me to capture cropped snippets of a landscape that can tell more of a story about it to me than often a wide-angle shot can. Thanks for re-inspiring me with this story!
Agree completely!

06-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

great set, Keitha!
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Great shots! Agreed also love the 50-135!

06-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wow! I love the texture on the 3rd one, "Lamplight". Also, the lamp has a 3d effect going on, looks like coming out of the picture. Congratulations!