Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought mine new from B&H last year, non OS. I just tried it on both my Pentax bodies and it works great. Can you focus it manually? The loch is a switch on the side of the lens near the af/ mf switch. If the lens is defective , that sucks. I bought a new FA31 Ltd last summer and had to return it straight away. Hope you get this sorted out, it is a sweet lens.

06-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah I can focus it manually np, but want AF. Need AF. hmmm I think it must be bad then. If you didnt change the chip in it, and it works fine then I am extra confused....

So far to summarize:
Tried on K01 and K200d, both it did not work with. Neither would focus
AF set on both body and lens
no AE button issues as far as assignments goes

reading that HSM needs an upgrade to be used with CDAF, not sure how true it is....contacted sigma to find out
reader above, says his is perfect with no need for that upgrade, maybe a newer model had that added in?

grrr
06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For others to reference, I called Sigma and was going to cost me 170 to overnight out there, F that! 25 for a week delivery. So I decided to just return the lens and get another, hope that it fixes it.

The service guy for Sigma got really pissed when I told him that I heard that I needed to have a chip upgraded so that the lens would work with a CDAF system. He told me that all lenses use that system now and gets really pissed when he hears someone say "well i read on a blog..." yada yada.

So lets hope this lens works better than the last one!
06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hope you get this sorted out, the 17-50 non OS is a stunning lens. So much better than what I expected.

06-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Due to arrive tomorrow, I'll of course update, and then cry if it doesn't work. I was pretty blown away that Adorama would send a 700 dollar lens in just a bubble envelope.
06-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Try the lens on a different Pentax camera if possible.
If it works on the other camera, maybe the K-01 doesn't have that lens included in its firmware yet - wild guess!?

If it still doesn't, maybe you have a problem with the lens - return and try another brand.

Oups... didn't read till the end... sorry.
06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
Due to arrive tomorrow, I'll of course update, and then cry if it doesn't work. I was pretty blown away that Adorama would send a 700 dollar lens in just a bubble envelope.
What?! Are you saying when you originally purchased the lens it arrived in a bubble envelope, rather than a box with packing material? I've heard of a few people getting camera accessories in envelopes rather than boxes, which while not ideal, didn't ruin anything. However, if you got a lens in an envelope I'm not surprised you're having trouble.

I didn't read anywhere in the thread how long you've owned the lens. Is this brand new? If it is I would have sent it back to Adorama.
06-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Bubble wrap? WTF, that is bush league....I would have sent it back for that reason alone. You probably got someone else's problem and it's no wonder it wasn't right. Good to know, I'll avoid ADorama for any future purchases and stick with B&H or Prodigital2000. Good luck with the replacement lens.

06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
The issue of Adorama shipping camera lenses in a bubble envelope has come up here before. Helen from Adorama is a member here, and helps with issues such as this. I seem, to remember she had worked to resolve just this very situation with another forum member here.

Here it is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/222631-my-re...ml#post2361629
06-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I remember when Sigma was selling the last of their 50-150's people found out that for it to work on their k01, they had to send the lens back to Sigma. Try calling their customer service again and hopefully you won't get someone who gets spun up so easily. I'd leave them to draw the conclusions though and not say "I read on the internet..." very much, if at all.
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah that is what I read too but the lens came out before 2012, and others posted the lens worked perfectly on first use. It arrives shortly so we shall see. If this lens has the same issue then maybe the firmware is the issue, but the guy I spoke to at Sigma says that its "horse shit." All cameras for years have been HSM ready. but I dont know....
06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK FOLKS! PROBLEM SOLVED!

I got the 2nd lens today in a BOX and with BUBBLE WRAP!!! MUCH BETTER. Funny how that happens.

Lens out the box was perfect. just perfect. Snappy, clear, no focus issues at all. Love love love it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Enjoy!