Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fotomagazin tests nifty fifties

The June 2013 issue of the German photography magazine Foto Magazin (fotomagazin.de) reviews 50mm lenses. It shows some interesting data. It tested the following lenses:
Canon EF 50mm f1.4
Nikon 50mm f1.4 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8 G
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Sigma 50mm f1.4
Sony 50mm f1.4

The Pentax at 270euro is second cheapest. The only cheaper one is the Nikon 50mm f1.8 at 230 euro, all the others cost over 400 euro. Sigma is biggest, heaviest, and most expensive. The Pentax one is smallest and lightest by far. The bit that says "extras" for each lens, which normally lists things like DoF scale or HSM motor, is completely empty in the Pentax section, all the others have some things listed.
I won't summarize the whole article, but each lens got tested on APS-C and FF, except for Pentax, which didn't get tested on FF for obvious reasons. On APS-C, the Pentax DA 50mm got by far the highest score, 92%. The next highest on APS-C was Canon 50mm f1.4 at 89%, then Sigma at 82%. Apparently the ridiculous, tiny Pentax DA 50mm beat them all. (the optics section measures things like distortion, vignetting and resolution, where Pentax did best) But the grade of the overall mechanic/build was lousy, Pentax got the lowest rating at 72%. Because it has plastic mount, no DoF scales, no AF/MF switch, and loud AF. I dont think any of the tested lenses have an aperture ring. Review mentions that Pentax uses high quality plastics, but overall its not very friendly to Pentax. For the Nikon lens it says it deals with vignetting very well, but its actual numbers are worse than Pentax', even on APS-C, where the review says that Pentax needs to be stopped down two stops. :/ But Pentax is the only lens that got 5 stars, the others only got up to 4. Which is pretty great, considering the Pentax lens is also the lightest, most compact, and costs half as much as some of the others.
So pretty good stuff overall. Its just too bad that apparently no reviewer knows the FA 50mm f1.4 still exists, because it could compete in build section, too.

This issue of the magazine is pretty interesting. It also mentions Pentax in the section about DSLR-costs, where they show graphs of various different DSLR prices over the last year, and the K-30 had the largest drop. (though, they all went down in cost) But this isn't quite as alarming, because it probably dropped due to: a) high Pentax entry costs, and b) K-50 about to hit shelves.
The magazine also compares the black and white capabilities of Canon EOS 6D, Leica Monochrom, and Sigma SD1 Merrill; has a little column about m42 lenses becoming popular again; has a little column about Ricoh GR; and talks about the wedding season beginning. Plus other stuff, of course, like "shopping guides" and "24 hours with pro photographer Manfred Baumann"..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-22-2013 at 06:57 AM.
06-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the FA 50/1.4 would be nice to test against the other F1.4's. Though, I'm not sure it would get so much better result for the mechanical stuff due to the non-bayonet hood, bad focusing ring, plastic feel and screwdrive focusing. Although optically it's very good for what they sell for, used at least.

Also the 55/1.4 would be nice for the really high end test and it would get high marks in the mechanical category.
06-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: [deleted]
06-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Isn't that just the way it is with Pentax.... you can take great pictures, but no "frills". Others are more expensive but we hear all the time how expensive Pentax lenses are, while it may be easier to take great pictures with others, if you nail it with the Pentax it's going to give you the best image... as for No MF/AF switch, look on the camera body people...

It's just one lens, but it's a sad state of the world when the lens capable of taking the best picture, gets the lowest rating. Because all those other things are worth more to the consumer, than taking the best picture... well, not for me. If your lens doesn't take the best image, I could care what frills are designed into it. Samyang's appeal to me, I don't own one yet, but it's only a matter of time.

It's one lens and not even one everyone owns. My lens is an FA 50 1.7 . It has an aperture ring and a DoF scale. Someone should write these guys and tell them to compare apples and apples.

06-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The DA 50mm f1.8 really does not give enough love or print. Buying a K-30, I could not pass up the chance to get a new one at $117. It really does a splendid job. I have the f1.7 versions of both the M50 and the A50, and it is in the same league for picture quality. (And I have a better chance getting sharp focus using the autofocus of the DA rather than my 50% rate of nailing focus on the manuals.)
06-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Isn't that just the way it is with Pentax.... you can take great pictures, but no "frills". Others are more expensive but we hear all the time how expensive Pentax lenses are, while it may be easier to take great pictures with others, if you nail it with the Pentax it's going to give you the best image... as for No MF/AF switch, look on the camera body people...

It's just one lens, but it's a sad state of the world when the lens capable of taking the best picture, gets the lowest rating. Because all those other things are worth more to the consumer, than taking the best picture... well, not for me. If your lens doesn't take the best image, I could care what frills are designed into it. Samyang's appeal to me, I don't own one yet, but it's only a matter of time.

It's one lens and not even one everyone owns. My lens is an FA 50 1.7 . It has an aperture ring and a DoF scale. Someone should write these guys and tell them to compare apples and apples.
I agree with you normhead. I even forget about the MF/AF switches on many of my lenses and I'm sure that is common fact for most Pentax users, that is what the nice switch on the camera is for.
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Honestly, the Canon 50/1.4 ist complete and utter crap unless you stop it down a minimum of one full stop to F2 (where the glas looses its point). Really usable only from F2.8 on. If even that shitty piece of "optics" gains second highest score, then: wow.

I once compared the DA* 55/1.4 versus the EF 50/1.4 both wide open. Have a look for yourselves to see what I mean:

Which one would you prefer?
Wow, that is some serious bloom effect going on there! Is it a Photoshop dreamy smoothing filter? Maybe that is why many recommend that lens as the ultimate affordable portrait lens?
The 55/1.4 suffers a bit from purple fringing wide open but add that kind of bloom and it will look super clean even from F1.4.
06-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, the AF/MF switch is useful for CiF. And DoF scales and quickshift would be nice; but yes, the DA Pentax line does have the most important part - the IQ!
And wow, that Canon 50mm.. not so nifty. Apart from the lenses I mentioned, all the others got an optic rating under 80%. Poor Nikon and Sony users..
06-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Honestly, the Canon 50/1.4 ist complete and utter crap unless you stop it down a minimum of one full stop to F2 (where the glas looses its point). Really usable only from F2.8 on. If even that shitty piece of "optics" gains second highest score, then: wow.

I once compared the DA* 55/1.4 versus the EF 50/1.4 both wide open. Have a look for yourselves to see what I mean:

Which one would you prefer?
Damn, that's a pretty big difference.

06-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: [deleted]