Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice sought on Amazon Sigma lens purchase

Hi:

I ordered and just received a Sigma 70-200 2.8 from Amazon. The lens was not wrapped in plastic and had no desiccant in/on it. The front lens element had some very minor dust on it. Also, the lens was in manual focus mode when taken out of the box.

The lens appears to work fine, but I have not used it for more than a few pictures of my children.

Typically, all lenses I have ordered, Pentax and Sigma, are wrapped in plastic and then placed in the padded case.

I contacted Amazon and was offered a discount or they would ship me a new lens right away and take this lens back.

I feel kind of odd taking a discount if in fact the lens is new and works well.

Just wondering if anyone thought I should return it for another lens. Anyone else ever receive a lens not wrapped in plastic?

Perhaps it was removed at some point by the seller (though the seller was listed as Amazon itself, not a third party shipping through Amazon).

I know the easiest and safest thing to do is have it exchanged.

I love Amazon's service and "stuff" happens, so I am not upset, but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue come up.

Thank you in advance.

06-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you said it came directly from Amazon - so many people say they bought from Amazon when in fact it was a 3rd party seller on Amazon.

Tough decision. Myself - if the lens is a good sharp copy, I would be inclined to keep it and take the discount offered. I've had hit and miss luck with new Sigma lenses as far as front/back focus issues. If you have a good copy that you are happy with, keep it. It will still have the same manufacturer's warranty.
06-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
You know, for that kind of money, I'd want no nagging questions in my head. Hard to tell why the lens came the way it did, but I would take advantage of Amazon's offer to exchange. Amazon's customer service is excellent and they should also provide you with a prepaid return label.

Almost sounds like it was a display unit and placed back in the box, but, like you said, it did not come from a third party seller. Strange.
06-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The situation is that it could potentially be a 2nd-hand/previously returned item with some defect somewhere. I've bought new and had the lens appear slightly used. Query to the distributor was answered with a "we're sorry, but we had to test the lens before shipping"...

Now, taking the discount may seem weird but it wasn't weird for you to mention the "look" of the lens in the first place. What did you expect as a result? Did you expect them to say "yes, its second hand" and leave it at that? The discount offer or the exchange offer is a consequence/effect of your query.

What they are doing is "keeping the customer happy" so "be happy" and take your pick. Check your lens for softness/sharpness at the extremes. If not great, then send it back with the hope that the next one will be better.

Cheers
Francis

06-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi. Thank you for the replies.

I hate playing the lens lottery, which is the reason for my reticence in exchanging it. So far so good, but I will play around with the lens later this week.

Regarding the discount, I feel weird taking it if in fact the lens is brand new and perhaps it was just removed for display and mistakenly not placed back in the plastic.

I'll see how the week goes and the lens performs.

Thanks again.
06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazon has no store to display a lens in. It was most likely a return the customer just did not want.