Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

The 15mm or ...

I can hear the eyes rolling, yet another the 15mm or... thread, but I haven't seen this comparison.

I've been thinking about the 15 for a while now, and while I am travelling in NY, I am really wishing I had one.
Was thinking about strolling down 9th ave. and pulling the trigger tomorrow, but I decided to look around to see if I can find one used, but instead I ran into a Tamron 14mm f/2.8 for what looks like a good deal (about the same as used 15s).

I have never thought of that before, but reading the one review here on the forum, and seeing some samples it looks like a good "not so" little glass.
Well, the obvious problem with it in comparison to the 15mm is the size and the weight. I was really excited with the fact that the 15mm is so pocketable, so this is a switch in mentality, but the f/2.8 glass is impressive as well.

Thoughts?

06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I donīt own either of the lenses. But there is one incredible thing the DA15 has that I am certain the Tamron lacks: Incredible flare resistence. really important in any lens but more so in Ultra wide angles. also being a specialty lens, it is so nice for it to be so small...
06-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really believe everyone should own the DA15. You just cant go wrong. As for f/4 vs f/2.8, i don't know what kind of wide shots you prefer to shoot, but as a landscape shooter, I don't think i've ever opened up more than f/11. good luck and i am sure you'll like the DA15.
06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the Tamron 14 in my SonyAlpha days and its bulk is true. I carried it backpacking and only on the last day did I remember it, and pulled it out mostly to justify carrying it along! It is a great lens but it's a load, which will bother some but not all. I now have the Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye, another good 'DA15 or' option - though having picked up a DA16-45 I will need to let it go. It adds f/2.8 speed, film-frame friendly and absurdly close focus ability but then you must live with its fishiness.

06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I donīt own either of the lenses. But there is one incredible thing the DA15 has that I am certain the Tamron lacks: Incredible flare resistence. really important in any lens but more so in Ultra wide angles. also being a specialty lens, it is so nice for it to be so small...
I second carrrlangas on this. The flare resistance of the DA 15 is amazing. In fact, I frequently have the Sun in shot without any problem; indeed, you can get a beautiful star if you stop down to f11. I rarely feel the need to anything faster than f4 at 15mm. Don't forget, at this focal length you can hand hold down to at least 1/10 of a second with SR on.

I'm actually sitting in a departure lounge as I type, waiting for my flight, and with my lovely LITTLE DA15 in my backpack (along with DA40 and DA70 Ltds). There is much to be said for travelling light.
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Don't get distracted!
There are lots of lenses that cover that focal length, some are faster, some are sharper (yes), some are zooms and more convenient.
The 15 limited is better, because every shot it takes looks fantastic. End of Story.

PS, 35 limited has same magic properties in my experience, but I like love 15mm for city walk around - situation you describe.
06-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Just buy the DA15 - it is a stunning little jewel of a lens. It lives in my camera bag.

It is a lens that just keeps rewarding you - have a look Zenfolio | Ross Waugh's Photographs | Pentax DA 15mm f4 Limited

Ross
06-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I think you will be kicking yourself if you choose a Tamron over Pentax ltd.

06-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA15 is a genuinely special lens: truly a jewel in Pentax's crown. It's not particularly great wider than f/8.0, but after that Ooooohhhhh baby!

06-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the 15, but do have the 12-24 (which a few have compared it to a pocket full of primes). I have been shooting with it for 5+ years now and have never really run in to a problem with flare - until a couple of weeks ago. I have shot into many sunsets with out any problem. But, I was in a dark building with LOTs of windows and skylights and I picked up more flare there in 20 minutes than in the last few years of shooting with it. So, I will add that having a flare resistant lens is something really nice to have - you don't know you need it until you need it. I'll also say that the 12-24 is about the size of the 14 (but not as fast) - small and light is nice. I really like the 12-24, one of my best lenses (it is my go to lens for versatility because of its zoom range), but its large, and has a large main element just yelling out to be dinged (which would ruin my day).
06-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, thanks all, for the kick in the b*tt I needed.
I haven't thought of the flare resistance, which is needed I suppose when shooting wide, as some light source is bound to be in the way.
And those stars, those stars...

And if there is such a fanatic following of this lens, there must be something to it.

15 it is!