Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
HELP!!! New 18-135 has serious blur issue...

I bought a new 18-135 from Emmy Photo on Amazon. Got the lens and the center resolution from wide open at f4.5 from 24 to 70 is incredible and center resolution at f6.3 from 70 to 100 is very good. However, there is NO BORDER PERFORMANCE from 18mm to about 40mm almost at all. From 30mm to 90mm I can get good border performance from f7-f10 stops, but strangely, the blur is worst from 24mm to 50mm, not at 18-24 or at the end of the barrel from 100-135. Overall, NEVER does this lens have good borders below f7.1 stops at any point. WOW!!!

Question: Is this normal? The samples are at 24mm taken 20 feet from the fence. The shots are in this order below: f4, f5, f6.3, f7.1, and f9. Note the blur is still there a bit at the bottom right corner at f9. Though I only posted samples at 24mm, this right side blur is there from 18-35 prominently. It gets better from 35-60. At 18mm, I have a left edge blur throughout.

PLEASE do not make reference to photozone.de or other review sites. Please check your pics, test your lens sometime (at your convenience), or if you know exactly how your lens performs, share with me your own personal experience. Any reference to other info on Pentax forums or referring other members to my post to help me out is SO MUCH appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

JF

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The corners shouldn't be that blurry. Get the lens exchanged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like an odd blur, yo.
So lets go through the steps.
Remove any filters you might have mounted
Make sure your lens is clean on both sides, front and back (you need to unmount it to check the back side. Look at it from an angle, some grease might be hard to see head on)
Make sure contacts are clean
Make sure camera is working properly (if photos with other lenses look normal, its fine)
For test photos use 2 sec timer and tripod, no SR, no filters

Considering you probably did a lot of that already, its probably lens decentering, where some elements inside arent aligned properly. You can either get it exchanged or fixed via warranty. The seller might try to get you to "fix it" but you can insist they replace it, since it came with a problem. Either way, I'm sorry to say, but you should contact the seller or a local warranty repair store. Give them detailed explanations on what is wrong and what tests you already have done. Good luck